News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

I saw a church sign today

Started by Jasper, May 14, 2010, 07:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

on the way to work, yeah.  You know the ones.  They have cinema boards with movable letters, arranged to try and needle you with cute little platitudes as you drive by.  Today's precious gem was "What gives you significance?"

I know what they meant by it.  They meant that, without their god, my existence is warrantless and ignoble. 

But aside from that guilt ridden subtext, it's a cool question, isn't it?  What gives you significance?

I have my answers.  They fluctuate.  Sigmatic is my chosen pseudonym here because of several connotations, ranging from fictional characters to latin root words.  My identity as part of, and separate from, my direct control is of great significance to myself and possibly very significant to the world at large.  My life is significant, furthermore, because I find that (epistemologically speaking) the ideas and experiences life offers are of such magnificence and complexity and wonder that their sum could hardly be trivial in any sense. 

So I have to ask.  What gives you significance?

Freeky

Will get back to this thread later (among others) with an answer. :D

Requia ☣

Who says I need significance in my life?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jasper

It's an assumption, deal with it.

Jenne

My kids.  My work in the PTA.  My family and the relationships I have there.

That's about it.

Eater of Clowns

I'm not entirely convinced that I have significance or need it.  I feel that I simply am, and that this is reason enough to do, to act, and to experience.  In previous bouts of existential crises I've found myself wasting time and energy determining why I do things and what everything is for.  Then I noticed in others that they do the same with everything and the question becomes what the point of it all is.  Maybe there's a point, maybe there isn't, but why certain things happen doesn't change that certain things happen.  It is better to act on them than quest for their meaning.

Maybe it's all pointless.  I don't think this is a bad thing.  Anyway, I'm not a philosopher and I've never claimed to be so I'm sorry if this estimation seems undeveloped or simplistic.  It works very well for me, and I don't know that much more can be hoped for.

Also, a Methodist church has one of those signs that they always put really fucked up phrases into.  My favorite was "Give Jesus a chance.  If it doesn't work, the Devil will always take you back."
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Requia ☣

Quote from: EoC on May 14, 2010, 10:05:49 PM
I'm not entirely convinced that I have significance or need it.  I feel that I simply am, and that this is reason enough to do, to act, and to experience.  In previous bouts of existential crises I've found myself wasting time and energy determining why I do things and what everything is for.  Then I noticed in others that they do the same with everything and the question becomes what the point of it all is.  Maybe there's a point, maybe there isn't, but why certain things happen doesn't change that certain things happen.  It is better to act on them than quest for their meaning.

Maybe it's all pointless.  I don't think this is a bad thing.  Anyway, I'm not a philosopher and I've never claimed to be so I'm sorry if this estimation seems undeveloped or simplistic.  It works very well for me, and I don't know that much more can be hoped for.

Also, a Methodist church has one of those signs that they always put really fucked up phrases into.  My favorite was "Give Jesus a chance.  If it doesn't work, the Devil will always take you back."

:mittens:
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jasper

But note that I wasn't talking specifically about metaphysical or "higher" significance.  Life doesn't have to be appraised in terms of transcendence, something you seem to understand without really getting my drift.  Life has multifarious significances, some of them are more mundane things, like experiences.  

But I would contend that everyone's life has significance of some sort.  If it's something you do, or an impact you have on the people in your life, or the vast amount of stock options you control, or an idea that you'd die for, or whatever- your life 'signifies' that thing.

Maybe things don't make us significant.  Maybe we make things significant.

Salty

On one hand:
Perhaps that metaphysical significance is best viewed as Purpose, which is something I could and actively strive to do without. I'll leave that to those assholes who can't but soak up every word Rick Warren spewes from his smug mouth.

As to the OP:
Stupidly or not, my words give me significance. The way my words, and some actions when I'm lucky, affect those around me are vital. The way I can make someone smile or laugh or free them from needless concern or impress upon them concern they ought to have, if I were (and occasionally am) unable to have this affect on people I would feel my self-worth slip away. Words that affect the minds of others.

And, too, hearing words worthy of doing to same to me. 
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Jasper

That doesn't seem too stupid to me.  Words are basically reference points that, together, signify (it's the secret word! aaaa!!) ideas.  Words are a form of significance.

Eater of Clowns

I see.  Maybe my response was framed by the idea of it being a question on behalf of a God pushing organization.

Or perhaps I'm conflating significance with value?  If someone led a largely solitary lifestyle, were unhappy more often than not, and spent their free time drinking heavily.  The boozing would hold significance for them.  I can dig that, Sig.

One theme I've returned to in the last several years is that I hope to never exhaust my sense of wonder.  When the simplest choice, like an online moniker, can come to mean something, there is no shortage of important experiences.  Am I more on the mark now?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Jasper

Yeah.  Yeah.

I started this topic because on the way back from work, while driving, I started trying to notice everything and see the connotations of everything as I drove.  It took a lot of energy and focus, but it was really mindblowing how much information we ignore.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My favorite church sign ever said "WE PROBABLY ARE NOT AS JUDGMENTAL AS YOU MIGHT THINK!"

My second favorite one:

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Adios

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on May 14, 2010, 10:55:48 PM
My favorite church sign ever said "WE PROBABLY ARE NOT AS JUDGMENTAL AS YOU MIGHT THINK!"

My second favorite one:

My favorite was " The most powerful position is on your knees. "

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hawk on May 14, 2010, 10:59:36 PM
Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on May 14, 2010, 10:55:48 PM

My second favorite one:

My favorite was " The most powerful position is on your knees. "

Hel-LO!  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."