News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

Futuristic Fashion

Started by Jasper, May 14, 2010, 10:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

What do you think the future of fashion is? 

In the last twenty to thirty years, "fashion" has gone from

to

Payne

Silver Jumpsuits and Rocket Boots / Hover Boards, obviously.

Jasper

I'm envisioning a loosening of genres.  Something I like to do is mix business attire with casual wear, and I'm hearing about people emulating that all over the place.  You know, double breasted tuxedo jacket with printed t-shirt, etc.

Requia ☣

I can't wait to see the first guy wearing a suit jacket and tie with a anarchy symbol t-shirt below it.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jasper

In this age of everyone doing things "ironically", it wouldn't be that surprising if it'd already happened.

Payne

I imagine we'll see a "blurring of genre", as you say, and a certain amount of unisexual everyday casual wear.

A number of different ways to use materials we already have and some we don't yet that will make clothes easier to maintain and keep clean, especially those that respond well to even lower temperatures in washing machines.

"Retro" will as ever be a big thing, and the same sub-culture identification as we see now will continue as people try to express "individuality" and "rebellion" from the mainstream.

To be honest though, apart from the actual materials used, and discounting the lines of that dress-thing in the middle, that first photograph contains a number of clothes I've seen very recently...

Jasper

I have too.  But check it out: We seem to be moving away from fashions that have lasting value, and toward fashions that are flashy and interesting and possibly even 'original' (whatever that may be), but tend to become tired quite soon.

Imagine:  if people started dressing like lady gaga, how soon would it become completely lame?  A month, tops.

But, more and more, a month is a long time in fashion.

Requia ☣

The fashion industry has been focused on quick gimmicks for a while now.  A side effect of having no IP law in the area.

So fashion designers come out with something, and sell a bunch of it, the next year other companies have made knock offs, so fashion designers have to have something new if they want to charge high prices.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jasper

Hmm.  Here's a thought.  Will this constant stream of gimmicks result in a backlash?  A group of "fashion neutral" people who all dress blandly and functionally as possible?

I'm seeing grey bodygloves, boots, and a few pouch pockets.

Nast

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 14, 2010, 10:36:03 PM
Hmm.  Here's a thought.  Will this constant stream of gimmicks result in a backlash?  A group of "fashion neutral" people who all dress blandly and functionally as possible?

I'm seeing grey bodygloves, boots, and a few pouch pockets.

The Amish have been dressing like that for quite a while. Their timeless fashionlessness is supposed to separate them from the world.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Jasper

The amish wear bodygloves?

Nast

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 15, 2010, 04:09:58 AM
The amish wear bodygloves?

Well have you ever looked to find out?
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Jasper

I'll take that as a veiled 'no'.

Nast

I have a feeling it won't be long before this topic is shrouded in puns.  :x

In srsness, I think it's an important to distinguish between Fashion with a capital F and fashion as in what people wear everyday. For example, the very vast majority of people aren't zipping up their bubble suits and coaxing their hair into surreal geometries before they go to work; they're putting on the usual jeans + t-shirt, dress shirt + khakis, skirt + blouse. I don't think things have changed so much in the last 50 years or so, and some things will be in style for a long time coming.

Jasper

I'm more interested in the people's fashion.  What a vanishingly small portion of an industry does for attention does not strike me as "fashion".  The Lady Gaga pic was used because, well, people like it (Whether or not they can afford it). 

The other day I saw a girl wearing a spaghetti string bikini over her shirt, apropos of nothing.  I thought it was oddly cute/hot.  That's fashion.