News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

Your attention is desired regarding a security issue

Started by Faust, May 14, 2010, 11:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vene

Quote from: Jenne on May 14, 2010, 09:14:07 PM
...Faust assumes there are no womens on the internets ITT...

/being a real shit today, sorry...
Womens have mandatory sex changes when they log onto the internet.

170% troof (which is 1% more troof than 169%)

Faust

Quote from: NotPubli on May 15, 2010, 12:17:15 AM
Wait. Why the hell does Enki have data like this?
Because you and every other registered user can. Its not THAT major an issue, but it was one that needs to be addressed.

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on May 15, 2010, 12:16:22 AM
Quote from: Faust on May 15, 2010, 12:12:35 AM
Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on May 14, 2010, 11:56:12 PM
What exactly did Enki do, if you can say without compromising securitay.
Put simply, he hosted a file on his server that contained data only a Logged in member here should be able to see, such as msn, aim or contact emails, thus making them publicly available on google.

It seems you don't think it was malicious.

Can you say why or why not?
Because the thread was printed in its entirety and was placed in a folder called stories. There is no problem with someone saving a thread to stick it in a hope chest for better days or whatever as long as its not put out into the public domain.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Payne

Quote from: Faust on May 14, 2010, 10:25:21 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Payne on May 14, 2010, 05:47:01 PM
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=20535.0

Yeah, I was wondering why I was receiving much more spam than usual, but I only shrugged my shoulders said something like "meh" and then pressed delete. (well, after taking advantage of some REALLY good deals).

Payne
Eve
Fred
Richter
The Other Anonymous
Hoopla
Hawk
the TGRR account (currently unused)
P3nT
LMNO
Nigel
Burns
Jenne
BDS
RWHN
the Cain account (currently unused)
Cram
Honey
Sheered Völva    ( :argh!:)

are all that posted in that thread.
danke

NP, maestro.

Reckoned when it came to making these kind of announcements I should help out.

~~~Payne: Finding ways to become less of a Freelance Bum for at least a couple weeks now.

Payne

And yeah, I doubt Enki was being malicious. Just being Enki. ie; All wrapped up in his own awesomeness and missing little details here and there.

I'm in much the same boat as RWHN, here. The hotmail account I set up for PD'ing is fine for trashing with spam. It's the one I use for anything that might end up giving me fucktons of spam anyway. I would have imagined that'd be the same for anyone who is making these details available to logged in any and all members of PD in the first place, though of course I may be wrong.

the last yatto

spags should know better to host files without previewing them,

speaking of which HEY LIZARD DID YOU get the newer inttermitten nine uped yet?
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Triple Zero

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on May 15, 2010, 12:16:22 AM
Quote from: Faust on May 15, 2010, 12:12:35 AM
Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on May 14, 2010, 11:56:12 PM
What exactly did Enki do, if you can say without compromising securitay.
Put simply, he hosted a file on his server that contained data only a Logged in member here should be able to see, such as msn, aim or contact emails, thus making them publicly available on google.

It seems you don't think it was malicious.

Can you say why or why not?

It was just a literal save of a thread. just as you would get when you press ctrl-S in your browser*. The thing is that includes the email and IM links, which you can normally only see when you are logged in. So if you save a thread like that, you shouldnt put it on the internet without stripping those email and IM links from it.

*except the HTML tags were stripped from it
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Faust

I think this has served its purpose, I'm going to de-sticky it this evening.
Sleepless nights at the chateau