News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

MMORPG lovers, here?

Started by Abbess Jade, May 16, 2010, 07:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbess Jade

Hey guys, since there is, well, an RPG board here, and people talk about video games and tabletop games, what about the interwebs? Any of you play MMORPGs around here? If so, what?

(I'd like to maybe play with you guys, maybe.)

bds

I play Guild Wars. Taken somewhat of a sabbatical recently because of exams and just plain getting bored, but me and a buddy are trying to complete a load of stuff before GW2 comes out. Which will be awesome.

Abbess Jade

My friend back in middle school always tried to get me to play, but I wasn't really into MMOs back then. I was into killing zombies and roleplaying on MSN with my friend Shelley.

Lately, all I want is an MMO that has fucked up creatures and a good amount of scare tactic. A Horror RPG, if you will. Hopefully Dark Days* turns out to be a relatively good success.

You'll never know.

*http://www.darkdaysarecoming.com/index.php

Telarus

<- Game Design Student (which explains the following)....

Used to MUD (got bumped to Coder for a brief time).

Used to WoW.

Used to Planetside (good First Person merc/tank/air Shooter MMO, and which might be making a reappearance ^___-).

Used to Guild Wars.

Used to Perfect World (a great game from a studio in the Philippines. Free to play + zen($) market on the sideline. Pros: Great Art, interesting concepts for creatures/players, player flight (from lvl 1 for winged elves) Cons: Pretty grindy, and all of the static plot and world travel problems you have when lvl 1s have to grind over here, lvl 10s over there, 15's over theere, etc, etc.)

Used to cruise InstantAction.com for their really good FPS skirmish game Legions, but they had a nice selection of actiony games (instantaction.com is down for redesign, and I've heard their going to come back with something brand new to the browser game design trends, for example notice the Secret of Monkey Island demo).

(see the pattern yet? I'm sure I'm forgetting some...)

I'm dabbling in Battle of The Immortals, made by the aforementioned Perfect World Entertainment (so free to play, with a similar $ to ZenCoin market on the side), mainly because it's what Liv and the kiddo play and it's installed on the machine. If you want an MMO that plays at a faster pace, much like diablo or even the old-skool side scrolling action games like TMNT or Golden Axe, where hordes of monsters are actually threatening if they aggro, and you have to wolf-pick off stragglers from the edges to get many of your quests, this will have to do until....

GUILD WARS 2.......
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Rumckle

I used to play puzzle pirates, fun times.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Requia ☣

I try to avoid games that require 24/7 attention the way most MMOs do.  The only one I play is cybernations.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Elder Iptuous

i burned that bridge back in the Ultima Online days.
swore it off.... "Nevar Again!!"

but if they make a spaghetti western MMO that looks good, i'd probably be swayed.

Abbess Jade

My guilty pleasure is Mabinogi*. Though I'm really just waiting for it's big brother: Vindictus* (Mabinogi: Heroes).

Shin Megami Tensei* was fun, until it told me that I'd have to get to level 25 to be a Demon Buster...after endless hard work they sent us through just to get done with the first quest series. I was just all, fuck that (lazy).

*http://mabinogi.nexon.net/
*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajQrStt-ud8
*http://megaten.aeriagames.com/

Requia ☣

I thought Shin Megami Tensei was a JRPG for the super famicom?

Cramulus

Quote from: Cramulus on May 14, 2008, 08:21:47 PM
Progress Quest

http://www.progressquest.com/dl.php

I can't even explain this game. It's the perfect game.

It's essentially every good thing about MMOs
--cool gear, good choice of race/class, interesting monsters, a twisting plot, zillions of magic spells, etc etc
without any of the bad things about MMOs
--lag time, bad graphics, losing XP for dying, paying money, developing carpal tunnel syndrome from clicking the same goddamn monster 450 times in a row just so you can get better at clicking on monsters

essentially they strip out all the crap. All that's left is PROGRESS.

This is the sort of game you can play at work.
I've been playing nonstop since last May. My name is Commander Blorp. I'm a level 78 Eel Man Bastard Lunatic.

Other race choices include Demicanadian, Double-Hobbit, and Enchanted Motorcycle
Other class choices include hunter-strangler, tickle-mimic, and robot monk

I reccommend trying out a Talking Pony Battle-Felon.

http://progressquest.com/

Requia ☣

Does it actually have online play?

Requia ☣

Ok yeah, this is amusing, but I don't see where the MMO comes in, I can play online, but I can't interact with other players.

Cramulus

who wants to interact with other players? Those spags are the worst thing about MMOs!

PQ strips all that crap out and gives you what you want straight up: PROGRESS

Requia ☣

Me?  Thats what I look for in MMOs anyway, Cybernations is about 90% human interaction, that's what makes it awesome.

Cramulus

you're wrong - users, graphics, decision making, character building, using the mouse and keyboard... these things are the cancer of MMOs! PQ gives you everything you actually want with none of the bullshit.