News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

(semi) legal weed driving drug dealers out of business

Started by BabylonHoruv, May 18, 2010, 09:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126806429

Looks like the medical marijuana laws and stopping the raiding of clinics by the Obama administration has driven weed prices so low that many growers can no longer sell at any sort of profit at all.  Exactly the sort of thing that those pushing for drug legalization have said would happen.  The writer seems to be mourning the poor growers that are being pushed out of business.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Brotep

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on May 18, 2010, 09:42:30 PM
Exactly the sort of thing that those pushing for drug legalization have said would happen.
The same thought crossed my mind listening to the article, which IIRC makes no mention of this.

QuoteThe writer seems to be mourning the poor growers that are being pushed out of business.
This is reminding me of the automatic sentiment I'm sure I had at one point, that "corporations = bad" and "mom 'n pop shops = good". That a large group of people banded together can kick the crap out of smaller groups or individuals is nothing new. I wonder if one of the major reasons for it is that it defies our imaginings of a fair society in which anyone, regardless of sociopolitical status, may raise themselves up by their own bootstraps and succeed at anything if they only work hard enough. Such as growing marijuana.

East Coast Hustle

Or it may be that the writer understands that there are some areas of the country where marijuana profits are all that's keeping the local economy afloat.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

GIGGLES

THING IS, SOME ILLEGAL DRUG DEALERS BUY THEIR PRODUCT FOR BRUTALLY VIOLENT MAFIA GROUPS THAT HARM SOCIETY WHEREAS THE LEGAL GROWERS ARE NONVIOLENT AND BENEFIT SOCIETY.

I MEAN: LOL FUKKEN WEED IS TITS MAN!

East Coast Hustle

I don't know too many brutally violent mafia groups that are selling high-quality pot. MS-13 has some operations in national and state parks in CA, but most of that is destined to be commercial-grade pot that will be sold in places where it's not competing with the good local harvest.

Also, I don't know that I think that MS-13 is harmful to society. That would be like saying that taking a piss on a pile of feces is ruining the pile of feces by getting piss on it.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on May 19, 2010, 04:16:52 AM
Or it may be that the writer understands that there are some areas of the country where marijuana profits are all that's keeping the local economy afloat.

Yeah, I can definitely see that part of it.  Pretty fucked up though when the only thing keeping an economy afloat is prohibition and the violation of it.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl