News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Fuck Yeah! Education (pt. 2)!

Started by navkat, May 20, 2010, 03:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

navkat

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8693397.stm

QuoteTempers are flaring in Texas over controversial proposed changes to the US state's public school curriculum.

The changes, put forward by the Board of Education's conservative members, include referring to the slave trade as the "Atlantic triangular trade".

Critics say the changes are ideological and distort history, but proponents argue they are correcting a long-standing liberal bias in education.

The conservatives are expected to prevail in Friday's final vote.

The changes eliciting the most concern include diminishing the role Thomas Jefferson - principal author of the Declaration of Independence - in history courses because of his belief in the separation of church and state, and dropping references to a landmark court case that barred schools from segregating Mexican American students.

The amendments also cast the United Nations in a critical light, with students asked to evaluate whether the UN and its committees undermine US sovereignty - a common refrain for conservative Americans.

The new curriculum would emphasise the role of religion in America's founding, as well as promoting the superiority of the capitalist system.

The Board insists, though, that capitalism will only be referred to as "free enterprise system", largely because of the negative connotations of the word capitalism.

:crankey:

Elder Iptuous

Requia ☣

Er, am I missing something?  Wasn't the slave trade always referred to that way, in order to hammer home the role the north played in that trade?  Or is that a Utah thing and we were just ahead of the curve in fundy crazy when I was a kid.

The rest is... wtf?  There are reasons why capitalism has negative connotations dipshits.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

navkat

Hi hi.

I love/hate this place. Can't stick around, can't stay away. <3.

navkat

Quote from: Requia ☣ on May 20, 2010, 03:41:37 AM
Er, am I missing something?  Wasn't the slave trade always referred to that way, in order to hammer home the role the north played in that trade?  Or is that a Utah thing and we were just ahead of the curve in fundy crazy when I was a kid.

The rest is... wtf?  There are reasons why capitalism has negative connotations dipshits.

The point is: we know better now.... or at least we should.

Juana

Old news is old.

But yeah, even my Republican grandparents from Texas think this is ridiculous.

Quote from: Requia ☣ on May 20, 2010, 03:41:37 AM
I think we called it the Atlantic slave trade, here in California. So your state must have been ahead of the curve, yeah.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

navkat

Quote from: Hover Cat on May 20, 2010, 03:53:26 AM
Old news is old.

I'm not worried about people like your grandparents, I'm worried about that mass hysteria phenomenon that usually manages to let these things crowd surf allllll the way to the main stage without any single member of the crowd feeling like they delivered it there.

Of course; I live in the state where a Gubernatorial candidate actually took the lead in the polls on the "We speak ENGLISH in my state, muthafucka!" platform.

Juana

Quote from: navkat on May 20, 2010, 04:03:51 AM
Quote from: Hover Cat on May 20, 2010, 03:53:26 AM
Old news is old.

I'm not worried about people like your grandparents, I'm worried about that mass hysteria phenomenon that usually manages to let these things crowd surf allllll the way to the main stage without any single member of the crowd feeling like they delivered it there.

Of course; I live in the state where a Gubernatorial candidate actually took the lead in the polls on the "We speak ENGLISH in my state, muthafucka!" platform.
Those people are like my grandparents, usually - this is the ONE issue that I've heard my grandmother make sense on anything, ever.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Iason Ouabache

The semi good news is that Texas doesn't have enough money to buy new textbooks. They are stuck with the old ones until at least 2013 or 14.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/politics/state/stories/DN-textbook_19tex.ART.State.Edition1.49ada5e.html

QuoteStudents will have to hang on to old science books for a year or two longer because of the state's budget crunch.

State Board of Education members Tuesday reluctantly decided to postpone action on new science books for schools, a move that will temporarily save up to $500 million.

Board members will still seek money from the Legislature next year for new English and reading textbooks – totaling $495 million – and $393 million for continuing contracts for educational materials.

But board Chairwoman Gail Lowe, R-Lampasas, said there is virtually no chance that lawmakers will come up with the additional $500 million for science books when they are facing a revenue shortfall of as much as $18 billion in the next two-year budget...

The books would have been delivered to Texas schools in two years. Instead, the new textbooks now will probably not be available until 2013 or 2014 – meaning the current books adopted several years ago will have to suffice until then...

Things are not likely to get any easier in the future, either: Education officials had originally hoped to purchase nearly $800 million worth of new social studies books for the 2013-14 school year. The delay in buying science books will almost certainly push back the purchase of the social studies materials.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Jasper

Ahahahah.

The textbooks are getting shittier, but that's okay.  We can't even afford them.

That's beautiful.

navkat

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on May 20, 2010, 06:25:21 AM
The semi good news is that Texas doesn't have enough money to buy new textbooks. They are stuck with the old ones until at least 2013 or 14.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/politics/state/stories/DN-textbook_19tex.ART.State.Edition1.49ada5e.html

QuoteStudents will have to hang on to old science books for a year or two longer because of the state's budget crunch.

State Board of Education members Tuesday reluctantly decided to postpone action on new science books for schools, a move that will temporarily save up to $500 million.

Board members will still seek money from the Legislature next year for new English and reading textbooks – totaling $495 million – and $393 million for continuing contracts for educational materials.

But board Chairwoman Gail Lowe, R-Lampasas, said there is virtually no chance that lawmakers will come up with the additional $500 million for science books when they are facing a revenue shortfall of as much as $18 billion in the next two-year budget...

The books would have been delivered to Texas schools in two years. Instead, the new textbooks now will probably not be available until 2013 or 2014 – meaning the current books adopted several years ago will have to suffice until then...

Things are not likely to get any easier in the future, either: Education officials had originally hoped to purchase nearly $800 million worth of new social studies books for the 2013-14 school year. The delay in buying science books will almost certainly push back the purchase of the social studies materials.

That is beautiful...like a perfect, well-formed turd floating in the morning coffee pot.

East Coast Hustle

I have nothing intelligent to contribute, I'm just posting ITT to say hi to navkat.

HI NAVKAT.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

navkat

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on May 21, 2010, 05:42:32 AM
I have nothing intelligent to contribute, I'm just posting ITT to say hi to navkat.

HI NAVKAT.

Wooooooo!

*jiggle-jiggle*

Jasper

Quote from: navkat on May 20, 2010, 11:28:09 AM
That is beautiful...like a perfect, well-formed turd floating in the morning coffee pot.

It doesn't have to be pretty to be pretty.  :)

AFK

The most hilarious part of the proposed changes by the Texas Board was the addition of Benjamin Franklin inventing the breakbeat. 

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.