News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Ron Paul's kid running for office: Is opposed to the civil rights act of 1964.

Started by Doktor Howl, May 21, 2010, 02:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

Technically speaking, isn't a majority of citizens willfully investing in government regulation a free market activity?
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: vexati0n on May 21, 2010, 06:24:01 PM
Technically speaking, isn't a majority of citizens willfully investing in government regulation a free market activity?

Only if the majority of citizens could also divest themselves of the government regulation, if they changed their minds.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

Slate has a fairly decent article about Rand, and about what happens when an Anti-Establishment candidate bumps up against the Establishment.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Rand Paul is all about stopping government handouts, except where that would effect him:

But as former Bush speech writer David Frum noted, "Paul's libertarianism stops where his pocketbook starts." Frum highlighted a Wall Street Journal story from last week in which Paul said he doesn't want to cut Medicare payments to doctors like himself, because "[p]hysicians should be allowed to make a comfortable living"

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/05/20/rand-paul-doc-fix/

:lulz:

I never thought I'd say this but I'm starting to like David Frum.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on May 21, 2010, 07:39:37 PM
Rand Paul is all about stopping government handouts, except where that would effect him:

But as former Bush speech writer David Frum noted, "Paul's libertarianism stops where his pocketbook starts." Frum highlighted a Wall Street Journal story from last week in which Paul said he doesn't want to cut Medicare payments to doctors like himself, because "[p]hysicians should be allowed to make a comfortable living"

:facepalm:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on May 21, 2010, 07:39:37 PM

:lulz: This is going to be a very loooong campaign for Dr. Paul. Someone needs to pin him down on abortion next.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

navkat

Quote from: LMNO on May 21, 2010, 01:15:14 PM
Yet another example of Utopian Libertarianism forgetting that the real world actually exists.

Right. I never said it would actually work.

Iason Ouabache

And other Libertarians are falling all over themselves in support.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/05/libertarians-on-pauls-civil-rights-stance-very-reasonable.php?ref=fpc

QuotePaul's stance is "very reasonable, and quite close to the Libertarian position," a spokesman for the Libertarian Party told TPMmuckraker.

"If some private business discriminates we think that's unfortunate, but we don't think the government should get involved in banning it," said the spokesman, Wes Benedict. "That's just a negative that we have to tolerate in a free society."

Walter Block, a libertarian professor of economics at Loyola University, and a senior fellow with the libertarian Ludwig Von Mises Institute, went further. "I think anyone who doesn't believe that isn't a libertarian," he said, calling Paul's comment "a very mainstream libertarianism."

"I'm delighted that Rand Paul said that," an enthusiastic Block added. "I think it's magnificent. I didn't realize that he was that good."

"The spirit of non-discrimination," said Block "ends you right up in compulsory bisexuality."

I'm not sure what that last sentence means, nor do I really want to.
    \

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Ratatosk on May 21, 2010, 06:48:16 PM
Quote from: vexati0n on May 21, 2010, 06:24:01 PM

Only if the majority of citizens could also divest themselves of the government regulation, if they changed their minds.

On a state level they can in most states.  Through the initiative process.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on May 22, 2010, 01:01:18 AM
And other Libertarians are falling all over themselves in support.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/05/libertarians-on-pauls-civil-rights-stance-very-reasonable.php?ref=fpc

QuotePaul's stance is "very reasonable, and quite close to the Libertarian position," a spokesman for the Libertarian Party told TPMmuckraker.

"If some private business discriminates we think that's unfortunate, but we don't think the government should get involved in banning it," said the spokesman, Wes Benedict. "That's just a negative that we have to tolerate in a free society."

Walter Block, a libertarian professor of economics at Loyola University, and a senior fellow with the libertarian Ludwig Von Mises Institute, went further. "I think anyone who doesn't believe that isn't a libertarian," he said, calling Paul's comment "a very mainstream libertarianism."

"I'm delighted that Rand Paul said that," an enthusiastic Block added. "I think it's magnificent. I didn't realize that he was that good."

"The spirit of non-discrimination," said Block "ends you right up in compulsory bisexuality."

I don't know what it means either, but I kind of like this compulsory bisexuality plan.  I think I'll vote Libertarian.  That's what they're in favor of right?
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Freeky

"The spirit of non-discrimination," said Block "ends you right up in compulsory bisexuality.
"

I'm not really sure what that sentence means, but I'm not going to try and waste time and worry about it. :fap: :fap: :fap:

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on May 21, 2010, 09:59:37 PM
:lulz: This is going to be a very loooong campaign for Dr. Paul. Someone needs to pin him down on abortion next.

Oh, he already answered those questions.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179841.php

QuoteRepublican Senate candidate Rand Paul (Ky.) will launch a new advertisement Monday on Christian radio stations to emphasize his opposition to abortion rights and his support for laws restricting the procedure, the AP/Lexington Herald Leader reports. "I'm 100% pro-life," Paul says in the ad, adding, "I believe abortion is an abomination, and I will cast every vote in favor of protecting life." In the ad, Paul also pledges to support a "federal human life amendment to end abortion" and "any law that will help end abortion and save the lives of innocent unborn children."

The advertising campaign comes in response to charges from Trey Grayson -- Paul's opponent in the Republican primary -- that Paul does not oppose abortion rights. Grayson has alleged that Paul -- son of Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) -- supports the use of the emergency contraception for rape survivors and prefers state-level approaches to abortion decisions.

I've lived close to Kentucky for most of my life so I understand why he has to take this position. If he didn't the ignorant hicks would skin him alive. I just don't see how he can square this with his paleo-libertarianism. The Free Market says that people want and need abortions on demand. Why let the government get in the way of that?
    \

Vene

Nobody believes in the free market. Nobody in their right mind wants a free market. I'm not even sure people in their wrong mind want a free market.

the last yatto

Gregory took a few shots at Paul for being only the third guest to cancel on the show in its 62-year history :lulz:
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

LMNO

If you make a strawman out of non-discrimination logic, and then take it to it's furthest extreme, then to prefer one gender over another in terms of sexual attraction would be considered discriminatory.

It's kind of like the "gay marriage = legalized beastiality" argument.