Main Menu

Cooking fish

Started by Adios, May 25, 2010, 09:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

IN THE DISHWASHER.

Who has a proven recipe for this?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I've never heard of it, but it's hilarious! It would totally mindfuck my kids. I'm going to try it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Adios

http://www.thesalmons.org/lynn/dishwasher.html

ECH is probably going to have my ass for this thread.

Triple Zero

nothing proven, but I guess you'd just wrap it up real tight with some herbs and put it in?

sounds like it would turn out a littlebit like sous-vide, except without the temperature control.

fish generally already cooks at 113F or so (I forgot the exact temp, it was way less than beef or pork), the dishwasher easily gets to that temp.

just remember from my soud-vide thread, that any herbs or spices come out a lot stronger, because none of the liquid in the package gets lost. I found this especially true for black pepper.

just wrap it up air and water tight. also be sure no air is in the bag, because it will expand and bubble. maybe in the case of dishwasher even use a double bag, just to be sure that no detergent stuff gets in.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

oh reading that site, it says no detergent. Where's the fun in that if you don't cook the salmon during a regular dishwashing with the dirty dishes?

(it'd also be a bit wasteful of energy and water, but that's just me)
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Adios

Quote from: Triple Zero on May 25, 2010, 10:06:02 PM
oh reading that site, it says no detergent. Where's the fun in that if you don't cook the salmon during a regular dishwashing with the dirty dishes?

(it'd also be a bit wasteful of energy and water, but that's just me)

If you regularly suffer from constipation detergent is a good thing to add.

Triple Zero

I somehow have the feeling that dishwasher tablets are a bit more aggressive stuff than your average liquid hand dishwashing detergent.

But then, it might just be concentrated.

Anyway, I think I'm going to try this as well, some time!

Pope Pixie Pickle

You need to make loads to make it more energy efficient.

Adios

The beauty of it is the entire house doesn't end up smelling like fish afterwards.

Sir Squid Diddimus

just your entire dishes afterward?

East Coast Hustle

I don't know about cooking fish in the dishwasher, but I've definitely cooked it on a car engine (while in motion) before. I'm all for experimenting with ways to cook things, I just don't expect that all of them will be wonderful.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

that's another thing I will try some day.

Adios

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on May 26, 2010, 05:42:50 AM
I don't know about cooking fish in the dishwasher, but I've definitely cooked it on a car engine (while in motion) before. I'm all for experimenting with ways to cook things, I just don't expect that all of them will be wonderful.

I have heated up canned stuff on an engine block but never cooked fish on one.