News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

Twid's Colcannon

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, May 28, 2010, 11:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Some of you may or may not be familiar with colcannon. It's basically an Irish dish that uses mashed potatoes, onions and cabbage. Well, I hate the unholy stench of cabbage, so here's my take on it.
I don't pay attention to measurements or cooking time, I just kinda poke at it and eyeball. Feel free to use and modify to your appetite, number of dining partners and/or dietary and taste preferences.

What you'll need:
Potatoes (I usually use Maine potatoes)
A fist sized yellow onion
A handful of spinach
Butter and/or sour cream
Garlic powder or minced garlic
milk
black pepper
grated cheese (usually go for cheddar or pepper jack)
Whatever spices are in your cabinet and tickle your fancy (I usually wing everything I do in the kitchen)
Olive oil

Phase one:
Take about 6 medium to large potatoes and wash them. DO NOT peel them. The skins are good for you, so why go through extra boring effort to take the nutrients out of it? Get rid of any eyes, as well as chunks that are blackened or green, obviously. Cut them up into 1 to 2 inch cubes. Throw them in the pot and fill with water until the potatoes are just about submerged. put heat on high and cover. Pull out a book or log onto PD.com. After a while, think to yourself, "Oh shit the potatoes!" and uncover when they start to boil and the water starts to rise. Continue to boil on medium/low heat.

Phase two:
Take the onion and peel off the skin. Cut off the poles and then cut up the rest into slivers approximately half the size of your pinkie. Fry in the olive oil on the lower end of medium. While this is happening, take the handful of spinach, unchopped, and wash. Throw them on top of the onions and continue to fry until they wilt. Put heat to minimum, or turn off completely if potatoes are pretty soft. Grate the cheese if it isn't already grated. When the potatoes are nice and soft, strain.

Phase three:
Pour the milk, cheese, and butter/sour cream onto the strained potatoes. Mash the shit out of them until they are creamy (unless you like potato chunk in your mash), adding more milk if needed (you may want to put the heat back on low while adding the milk). When thoroughly mashed, throw in the onion and spinach and use the masher to stir them in, along with whatever other remaining ingredients are going in. Throw a glob or three onto your plate and enjoy. Goes well with Italian sausage or chicken cutlets. I usually also have steamed red or orange peppers as a side veg. Leftovers keep well for several days.

A common variation that I do is to include some sort of lemon seasoning.
I usually don't add salt at any point. The combination is good enough with out it.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.
-Twid.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nast

Sounds tasty, though the name is more reminiscent of a siege weapon than a food.

Though considering Irish cuisine, I suppose it could be both.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

East Coast Hustle

I heartily approve of your decision to use primarily Maine potatoes.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Try it with kale, too, it's yummy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on May 29, 2010, 08:39:45 PM

I've actually have never eaten kale before, I'll have to give that a try next time I make it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on May 30, 2010, 07:19:49 PM
Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on May 29, 2010, 08:39:45 PM

I've actually have never eaten kale before, I'll have to give that a try next time I make it.

Yay! Kale is also one of the most nutritious veggies there is.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

Nice!

I'll have to add this to the potato mashing - stuff repetoire. 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

East Coast Hustle

I had something like this for dinner last night, made form all the leftover stuff I was using for specials over the weekend. To the smoked garlic mashed potatoes I added the chopped bacon from the arrabiata special, the grilled onions from the sausage sandwich special, the baby spinach from the haddock florentine special, and some chunks of brie from the lobster & brie pizza special.

Possibly the single most expensive bowl of colcannon made in eastern Maine this year. And utterly delicious.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Adios

Using leftovers that may end up going on the waste sheet offsets the cost greatly. When I had my bar and grill I always planned the menu to reuse leftovers on the next meal.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on June 01, 2010, 03:31:33 PM
I had something like this for dinner last night, made form all the leftover stuff I was using for specials over the weekend. To the smoked garlic mashed potatoes I added the chopped bacon from the arrabiata special, the grilled onions from the sausage sandwich special, the baby spinach from the haddock florentine special, and some chunks of brie from the lobster & brie pizza special.

Possibly the single most expensive bowl of colcannon made in eastern Maine this year. And utterly delicious.

Bacon in the colcannon? Dude!

Richter

Revelation:  I have leftover bangers from cookout yesterday.  I msut make this mash now.
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Adios

Quote from: Richter on June 01, 2010, 08:54:21 PM
Revelation:  I have leftover bangers from cookout yesterday.  I msut make this mash now.

whazzabanger?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Hawk on June 02, 2010, 12:22:20 AM
Quote from: Richter on June 01, 2010, 08:54:21 PM

whazzabanger?

Sausages, basically. Irish sausages and bacon are a little different than their American counterparts.

Richter

I cannot move.
I regret nothing.

Nephew Twiddleton