News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

the 592,000,000 bytes everyone should have

Started by glorfon, May 29, 2010, 11:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glorfon

I've recently been inspired to action.  What I want to do is put together a  CD of E-books which I will burn dozens of copies of and plant around Kansas City. This collection can also be made into a torrent, given to other Discordian agents, and planted everywhere. These books should be the most information dense, brain pumping, inspiring books that there are.  They should cover philosophy, science, art, self improvement, skill development, and pretty much anything which people should know.  So, I'm looking for suggestions.  We'll compile a list, skim it down to fit on a single CD and then start spreading it.

Proposed List
-Pricipia Discordia
-Steal This Book (Maybe to dated)
-Anarchists Cookbook
-John Seymours Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency
-Brave new world
-brave new world revisited
-walden: or, life in the woods
-walden 2
-Black Iron Prison
-all of Intermittens( except for #4)
-Cryptonomicon
-The invisibles
-transmetropolitan
-the art of memetics

Reginald Ret

The language instinct
Brave new world
brave new world revisited
walden: or, life in the woods
walden 2
Black Iron Prison
all of Intermittens( except for #4)
Cryptonomicon
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cramulus

The invisibles
transmetropolitan
the art of memetics

Remington

Most of Roger's written material (I have a compilation if you'd like)
Is it plugged in?

the last yatto

id avoid Anarchists Cookbook, besides how to make a smoke and pipe bomb, nothing relevant today
if you want something with a punch, CIA sabotage manual is much better
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Iason Ouabache

If I'm not too late here are some of my suggestions:

Book of the SubGenius
Summa Discordia
OSS Simple Sabotage Manual
The Zenarchist's Handbook
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

God's Debris by Scott Adams (The guy who writes the Dilbert comic)

I'm only part way through it but it's pretty good, and free.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Triple Zero

Fooled by Randomness
Snow Crash
Thief of Time

... and isn't the Anarchist Cookbook actually full of shit? And no, there's no lulz factor about it, would just make the rest of the collection look more crappy. One rotten apple in a basket and all that.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Rumckle

I dunno, the AC has some good stuff in it, but most is outdated, or was never correct.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Triple Zero

Ok I never read it, TBH. Just heard it was full of explosive recipes that just make your kitchen smelly, if you're lucky.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Requia ☣

I looked through a couple of the recipes, (the ones I have separate sources for), and it seems almost correct, but missing steps.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

the last yatto

napalm is much easier to make with Styrofoam and not even touching the stove
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

malvarma

The Medium and the Massage by Marshall McLuhan.
It covers the same topics as Understanding Media with less pages and pretty pictures. A good introduction.
Follow me at http://twitter.com/normalioifyp and I'll follow you back. Let's totally be BFFs.

BluTakDuck

V for Vendetta (Maybe useful just for quotes more than anything else)
Prometheus Rising?

Steal this book and the cookbook are definitely outdated. I came across steal this book again the other day, a few years since I last read it. It hasn't aged well against technological and societal advances. Its only still useful as an interesting relic anymore.

</sarcasm>