News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

The Official Unlimited Oil Spill Thread!

Started by Suu, May 30, 2010, 02:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

2 seems most likely, IMO.  It's pretty much how the media works plus, you know how the regulators have been...

Adios

Quote from: Zyzyx on July 29, 2010, 05:17:49 PM
It can be one of two things, Turdley. Either

1) All of a sudden pipelines and rigs are blowing up and gushing oil,
2) The media is trying to bring what are everyday occurrences (which is :x) to our attention since our collective attention span is on leaky oil, or something ridiculous and unlikely such as
3) There's an elaborate conspiracy to destroy the oil business from within, or everything is falling apart.

The pipelines are over 30 years old and are suffering from 'deferred' maintenance. Read cutting costs to drive up share value.

Adios

According to pipeline critics, those cuts could endanger the entire system and one day lead to a spill that would shatter Alaska's fragile ecosystems.

"There's incident after incident within the last six months (that) might seem like small things, but when you put them all together, in a relatively short period of time, it really tells you how poorly this pipeline is being maintained," Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Michigan, told CNN in an interview to air on tonigh't "AC360"

Stupak said the biggest and most troubling incident by far was a shutdown of the pipeline caused when both the main power and the backup power failed during a routine systems test at a spot called Pump Station 9, about 10 miles from Delta Junction. It's one of 12 pumping stations between Prudhoe Bay on Alaska's North Slope and the oil terminus at Valdez.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Suu

Florida beaches are clear! Our microbes ate teh oilz.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Suu on July 29, 2010, 11:38:16 PM

That's what they want you to think.

Don't get that water in your mouth. You might hommorage.

Suu

It hasn't come this far south anyway but I don't think I'm going to the beach anyway. I just got out of a lake with big ass gators though. :|
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on July 30, 2010, 12:16:51 AM

:? what the hell is that word???

I meant hemorrhage

Nast

Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on July 30, 2010, 03:36:55 AM
Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on July 30, 2010, 12:16:51 AM

:? what the hell is that word???

I meant hemorrhage

HOMO RAGE
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Pope Pixie Pickle

this article was in the guardian the other day about the chemicql dispersants being used in the Gulf Of Mexico, and is kind of alarming on a long term ecological view.

http://solveclimate.com/blog/20100804/dispersants-used-gulf-under-fire-uncontrolled-experiment

Scribbly

Bump.

BP are suing Halliburton for the full costs of the oil spill, estimated to be $42 billion.

http://news.sky.com/home/business/article/16141240

They've also claimed that Halliburton destroyed test results which proved the cement used to be unsuitable.

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Energy-Resources/2012/01/03/BP-sues-Halliburton-for-Deepwater-spill/UPI-98991325596727

My personal favorite bit of commentary on this though...

Quote from: SkyMarkets reacted to the news with BP share prices opening up 1% on the first trading day since the new year holiday break.

Which implies that markets think there's some chance of BP managing to pull this off. I can only imagine the reaction if BP manages to take a bite out of Hallburton and get off without paying a cent, after all the outrage at them specifically.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.