News:

Oceana has always been at war with Iraq

Main Menu

The Official Unlimited Oil Spill Thread!

Started by Suu, May 30, 2010, 02:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

"whose ass to kick"?? did he really say that? :lulz:

that's pretty awesome.

can a president pass some kind of one-time personal corporal punishment mandate thing, so he can actually physically roundhouse kick the guy's ass?

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Suu

My brother's fishing sponsor is selling vulgar shirts to support the cleanup effort!

$10 of each shirt sale goes to the Florida Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary at www.seabirdsanctuary.org to aid in the cleanup of distressed birdies.

Buy them here:

http://www.skinnywaterculture.com/products

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Remington

Fairly good interview with Obama, if you have time to watch it:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/37568416#37568416

Quote from: Suu on June 08, 2010, 03:30:31 PM
My brother's fishing sponsor is selling vulgar shirts to support the cleanup effort!

$10 of each shirt sale goes to the Florida Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary at www.seabirdsanctuary.org to aid in the cleanup of distressed birdies.

Buy them here:

http://www.skinnywaterculture.com/products
TITCM
Is it plugged in?

Triple Zero

Quote from: Remington on June 08, 2010, 03:31:19 PM
Fairly good interview with Obama, if you have time to watch it:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/37568416#37568416

"first, I'm not concerned with my politics right now, but with what's happened in the Gulf"

give that man a cookie.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

He's finally fucking fed up.

THANK GOD.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Vene

Mr. President, I want to see blood.

Sir Squid Diddimus

:lulz:  I knew he was gonna get pissed with all the people standing around shrugging, not knowing what to do and pointing the finger at the other guy.

It was only a matter of time.

This shit I'm watching on tv is sad.
Someone just asked the BP rep how much money they have in a reserve for claims, and the guy said "we don't". Now he's pissed.
He's pretty much telling him to hurry up and pay.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Wow. Alex Sink has more balls than these other guys.
She told this guy to stop handing out these 5000 dollar shut up checks and to pay out what these people are worth.

"These are people with employees, who they pay. Do you expect them to fire their employees so they can then claim their $5k? That's not how it works. It isn't right.
It's no fun to watch a grown man cry and I've seen it. You need to sit down with these people at a round table and talk to them the way I have."

Suu

It's only a matter of time before a flotilla of fisherman sail into London and start rollin' heads, you know.

Remington

Quote from: Suu on June 08, 2010, 05:21:44 PM
It's only a matter of time before a flotilla of fisherman sail into London and start rollin' heads, you know.
I'm surprised there hasn't been moar firebombing tbh.
Is it plugged in?

Sir Squid Diddimus

IMO no matter how bad this shit gets, people aren't gonna do anything but cry.
I can't remember the last time I saw a community in amuurica get so pissed that they used fire and rocks and guns to "solve" the problem

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on June 08, 2010, 05:30:03 PM
I can't remember the last time I saw a community in amuurica get so pissed that they used fire and rocks and guns to "solve" the problem

Missed the early teabaggers, did you?
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 08, 2010, 05:31:54 PM
Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on June 08, 2010, 05:30:03 PM

Missed the early teabaggers, did you?

Point. America, where cowards don't WANT a revolution.

AFK

Here is an interesting article by Daniel Gross outlining why he thinks Hayward is in a fairly safe position to keep his job, at least for now:

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/06/08/the-safest-job-in-the-world.html

QuoteAs CEO, Hayward is ultimately responsible for BP's operations, and for its response to the crisis. And by any measure, the performance has been a debacle. So why is he still in the corner office? Ironically, Hayward owes his continued tenure largely to BP's unsuccessful efforts to cap the well. For better or worse (mostly for worse), Hayward has emerged as the public face of BP. When he shows up at the Gulf, or on television, he catches all the flak—for his colleagues, for those who report to him, and for those to whom he reports. As a human punching bag, he absorbs all the blows thrown by politicians, the media, and locals that might otherwise land on the corporate board or on investors. He literally owns the spill—and its consequences.

For this reason, it wouldn't be prudent to replace Hayward midstream. New CEOs—especially those who step into troubled situations—like to have a clean slate. There are a few basic narrative arcs to CEO stories—the phenomenal success story, the crash, and the comeback/turnaround. The ideal time to take over is after the company has hit bottom, when all the bad news has been absorbed by the market. That way, from Day 1, the story the new CEO tells is of cleaning up his predecessor's mess, fixing the damage, and repairing the company's image. It's possible to do this even if you're an inside candidate, promoted from within. But the timing has to be right. Investors warn of the danger of trying to catch falling knives—i.e., buying into a stock or company when it is still in freefall. The same holds with executives. Step in too early to a company in crisis, and you risk being identified as part of the problem rather than as part of the solution.

So his theory seems to be that Hayward is making a great punching bag so they have every incentive to keep him there while the problem persists.  They can fire him when it's all over and insert some new spag to take credit for all the "good" stuff that happens afterwards. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.