News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Beer Hating Ghost

Started by hooplala, June 02, 2010, 07:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

A mysterious moving pint glass has been captured on CCTV at the New Inn in Gloucester, which has a reputation for hauntings.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/gloucestershire/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8706000/8706656.stm
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Hoopla on June 02, 2010, 07:31:26 PM
A mysterious moving pint glass has been captured on CCTV at the New Inn in Gloucester, which has a reputation for hauntings.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/gloucestershire/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8706000/8706656.stm

I'll have to go there sometime, sounds cool. As long as it's not my beer, that is.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cramulus

It's a sign all right. "Going out of business"
                                                          \

Cain

Actually, that wouldn't surprise me.  Most pubs, especially independent ones, are having a really rough time right now.  If I was at one with a reputation for haunting, I'd try and fake some paranormal activity to bring the punters in.

Especially in Gloucester, which is full of New Age hippies and psychics.

NOTE: havent seen the video, as my connection is too slow.  Just suggesting a likely scenario.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on June 18, 2010, 09:12:30 PM
Actually, that wouldn't surprise me.  Most pubs, especially independent ones, are having a really rough time right now.  If I was at one with a reputation for haunting, I'd try and fake some paranormal activity to bring the punters in.

Especially in Gloucester, which is full of New Age hippies and psychics.

NOTE: havent seen the video, as my connection is too slow.  Just suggesting a likely scenario.

The video is not very good quality so you can't really get a good sense of what's happening. Though it does have an earmark or two of a set-up.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Telarus

I've seen half-full glass cups spontaneously slide around on smooth surfaces after enough condensation collects at the bottom.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Telarus on June 19, 2010, 09:10:05 PM
I've seen half-full glass cups spontaneously slide around on smooth surfaces after enough condensation collects at the bottom.

Telarus has my vote.

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Yups. Trad English straight ale glasses are very smooth and flat on the bottom too. Fairly simple setup.
Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I've seen this too, especially in summer when the liquid under the glass warms up enough to expand a bit.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Nigel on June 29, 2010, 06:32:12 PM

I've seen this too, especially in summer when the liquid under the glass warms up enough to expand a bit.

And don't Brits serve their beer warm?

If the glass was still hot from a dishwasher it easily could have caused that to occur.

And yeah, I've watched it happen every once and a while.

There's even a pause before it builds up enough to move too.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cain

Most places don't serve it warm now, though I'm led to believe this historically was the case (Blame Thatcher...dunno if she was the cause, but she's a good suspect).  But older pubs normally have poor ventilation, meaning it can get hot in there quickly, not only in summer but just when there are more than few people in the same part of the bar.