The Chupacabra is really...

Started by Iason Ouabache, July 22, 2010, 07:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on July 22, 2010, 07:52:16 PM
Crappy movie, but awesome tits.

LMNO
-priorities.  I has them.

Never had the desire to watch that movie until now.

Thanks for the heads up, oh drummer extraordinaire.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

LMNO

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Cain on July 23, 2010, 07:48:42 AM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on July 23, 2010, 02:10:40 AM
Quote from: Cain on July 22, 2010, 09:32:47 PM
Interesting, but the earliest confirmed attacks were in March 1995, and there are reported attacks going back until the 1970s, so even if this is accurate in explaining how the popular image of the Chupacabra came about, it still doesn't explain what the fuck was going on.
Who reporting sighting one before Tolentino? I'm honestly asking because the interview I heard with Radford said that she was the very first.

No, she was the first one to sight a "cryptid" or whatever the term is, but there were documented reports of animals being found dead, with small incisions on them and sucked dry of all blood much earlier in 1995, and further reports of it happening back to the 1970s, at the very least.

The movie may have influenced the perception of what was behind the attacks, but the actual attacks themselves remain unresolved, which is sort of troubling giving the nature of them. 
You're right. I listened to the interview again and he said that she was just the first one to give a physical description of it.

QuoteOf course, if my suspicions are correct, that is indeed the entire point of them.  I mean, maybe it's just me, but doesn't this read even a little like the CIA's psyops against the Huk rebels in the Phillipines (the ones where they imitated Filipino vampires, killing lone rebels and draining them of blood), only with an entirely new legend created in the space of several months to account for the attacks?  Troubling attacks with paranormal overtones and attribution, causing fear and uncertainty in a target population?  Maybe it was a dry run to test how easy it is to create new beliefs in a target population and then use those beliefs against them, something which is admittedly far easier than trying to work around pre-existing beliefs, especially in more modernised parts of the world.

But that's just a theory I knocked out in the past half hour or so, it could be massively flawed.
Makes about as much sense as anything else at this point.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cain

Or else it was viral marketing for the film, gone really badly wrong.

Kurt Christ

Quote from: Cain on July 24, 2010, 03:47:39 PM
Or else it was viral marketing for the film, gone really badly wrong right.
Fixed. Imagine how awesome and hilarious it would be if Cloverfield or something similar spawned seriously believed urban folktales.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on July 22, 2010, 07:52:16 PM
Crappy movie, but awesome tits.

LMNO
-priorities.  I has them.

2nded on all costs.  And if it is anything like the movie, any party searching for this thing should not have a black guy in the group.  Because if it happens like it does in the movie, he dies first.  Even if he is the best actor in the group. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.