News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

I'm actually optimistic about corporate personhood.

Started by Jasper, June 02, 2010, 11:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Quote from: BadBeast on June 08, 2010, 12:23:54 AM
Like crazy scientists? Obsessed with playing God? We've already seen a fair few of them, and they usually have some self defeating dynamic in their theories, (Like being batshit crazy too ahead of their time / morally repugnant)

Or maybe it will happen accidentally, I mean evolve spontaneously. I mean, it happened before, that spark of sentience, right? And we're still killing each other over differences of opinion as to who is right or wrong to blame for the event.
But saying that, I'm actually quite optimistic too, I'm just being an arsehole playing Devil's advocate for lulz.  :D

Can you name an AI researcher that was morally repugnant?

They seem to be mostly really nice, if a bit pedantic.

BadBeast

Quote from: Sigmatic on June 08, 2010, 01:19:34 AM
Quote from: BadBeast on June 08, 2010, 12:23:54 AM
Like crazy scientists? Obsessed with playing God? We've already seen a fair few of them, and they usually have some self defeating dynamic in their theories, (Like being batshit crazy too ahead of their time / morally repugnant)

Or maybe it will happen accidentally, I mean evolve spontaneously. I mean, it happened before, that spark of sentience, right? And we're still killing each other over differences of opinion as to who is right or wrong to blame for the event.
But saying that, I'm actually quite optimistic too, I'm just being an arsehole playing Devil's advocate for lulz.  :D

Can you name an AI researcher that was morally repugnant?

They seem to be mostly really nice, if a bit pedantic.
I was referring to crazy scientists in general, not specifically AI Researchers.
(Frankenstein?)
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Jasper

Vene

Jasper

You know what I heard?  That there are infinite universes and that they all have different cosmological constants.  And that most of them fail horribly.

If God is going to play science, turnabout's fair play.

BadBeast

You only hear that most of them fail horribly, from people with a vested interest in keeping us in this one. It's propaganda, from fundamentalist anti-multiversists.
They want us to stay with the "single universe" model for as long as possible, so they can milk all the lulz from us, and sell it as an addictive mind enhancing drug, in some mirthless universe somewhere else.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Jasper

...That's actually the most insane thing I've heard all day.  Congratulations.  :lol:

BadBeast

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: BadBeast on June 08, 2010, 06:51:43 AM
You only hear that most of them fail horribly, from people with a vested interest in keeping us in this one. It's propaganda, from fundamentalist anti-multiversists.
They want us to stay with the "single universe" model for as long as possible, so they can milk all the lulz from us, and sell it as an addictive mind enhancing drug, in some mirthless universe somewhere else.

:mittens:
You know BB, you might be my favorite Limey who isn't famous. This pretty much solidified it.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube