News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

I'm actually optimistic about corporate personhood.

Started by Jasper, June 02, 2010, 11:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Sigmatic on June 04, 2010, 10:15:56 PM
One possibility is to create a new class of citizenship for nonbiological entities, that can be applied for to obtain various reasonable freedoms.  They do that in GB, if I recall.  Various classes of citizenship, that is. 

They do have a cultural invasion problem though.

Would te AIs be able to vote for their own organization? I could see a problem with a trillion AI's being able to influence human affairs by out numbering them, but would it be fair to have legislation covering them without their say? That seems to go to the problem you're trying to address. Like maybe a secondary government that is specifically run by AIs but has the same status as a state within the US...
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Jasper

Machine labor unions.

God knows their lobby will be powerful enough to hold its own.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Sigmatic on June 04, 2010, 10:34:28 PM
Machine labor unions.

God knows their lobby will be powerful enough to hold its own.

I'm just thinking though, if they have human like consciousness, if they don't have a full representative say in how they governed, that might be the thing that pisses them off. If they can logic that we've created our own country because we didn't have a say in parliament, and that numerous groups had to repeatedly fight for their rights within said government, it would be a matter of time that they would want their own voice too. It would be a worry that they would have their own political muscle over their own affairs, but isn't that the same argument we white males had about women, blacks, Catholics, etc...

I'm guessing that they would go through the same process as a newly emerging immigrant community, except they would be immigrants with patents.

Jasper

So, damned if they can vote and damned if they can't.

Machine Consciousness Reservation, anyone?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Sigmatic on June 04, 2010, 11:29:43 PM
So, damned if they can vote and damned if they can't.

Machine Consciousness Reservation, anyone?

That's kinda what I was thinking. They would be under the jurisdiction of the US on the national level, probably through something like, The Department of AI Affairs, which could be run by an AI as a member of the president's cabinet. Otherwise they would be largely autonomous in their own territory (which could very well be the internet or intranet, seeing how they likely would not be stuck in their corporeal bodies.)

Jasper

I think it's a poor assumption that AI will be bodiless thought and memory.  It's easy to imagine it that way, but a truly conscious robot would not gladly shed it's only means of experiencing the real world, even temporarily, I think.

Requia ☣

Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jasper

I can't prove it yet, but I suspect it would be deranging to have your consciousness altered like that.

It would be as if you were to take LSD, and have a trip where none of your sensory data is coming in, and the only mental input you're getting is in the form of raw data.

Sound fun?

Requia ☣

You're ascribing human traits to non human entities.

Also, there's no reason to assume that robot bodies will be the initial state, rather than entities that exist on a computer.

Nephew Twiddleton

Yeah, I would imagine that AI would actually reside elsewhere and that any automatons we would interact with would be romotely controlled by the AI in order to interact with the world. At least at first.

Jasper

Only because that's exactly how I think AI should be done.  Why would we make something intentionally alien?  They obviously won't be exactly humanistic, but I think they should be humanistic to as much an extent as practical, because that will make them easier to accept.  The more easily accepted and integrated into society they are, the less likely some kind of disaster will happen.

Requia ☣

Who says we have that kind of control?  I'd also suggest we not try to duplicate ourselves.  There's the whole genocide thing we sometimes do.

Jasper

Once human consciousness is figured out, it might be easier than you suppose, to create consciousnesses that experience tailored realities.

Requia ☣

Define consciousness for me, so I know what we're trying to figure out?

Jasper

There isn't a consensus on that, but when I say it I mean "The experience of reality that (in humans) includes senses, emotional states, memories, thoughts, and imaginings."