News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

Crop Circles

Started by BadBeast, June 04, 2010, 12:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadBeast

Last week, I said I'd post a crop circle story, so here it is. Last year, I met a guy who was part of a small group, who made crop circles, locally. He first began doing them, in a pranky sort of way, at the end of the 80's to take the piss out of all the people who offered theories of Aliens, or Fairies, or Hedgehogs, or whatever, just for the smuggish lulz factor, and he still makes circles to this day, but now he is a lot more open minded about the whole thing, and admits there is more to them than he can explain.

He told me a story about a night , about four or five years ago now, in early June. His technique was to take a google map of the field they were intending to do, and would work out the design, and dimensions beforehand, on his Mac, usually that afternoon, depending on the amount of people he could round up. (Usually three)

On this particular occasion, all the details had been ironed out, they had all the lengths of rope, with marker knots tied, and printouts of the design. All three of them were about to leave, at just past midnight, when there was a torrential thunderstorm. They waited it out, and ended up leaving at about 2.30am to do the circle. They estimated for about an hour to get this one finished, as it wasn't too elaborate or ambitious. The thing is, when they got to the field, it was apparent someone had already been there, earlier on and made their own circle. Disheartened, they returned home.

These things occasionally happen, as there are a few teams that regularly make circles in the area, independently of each other, during the season. However, the next day, when they went back to the field to view the circle that had been made, it was the exact design, and dimensions as the one they had planned to do. The only three people who knew what the design was to be, had been together all the time, from beginning to end, so there was no way anyone else could have known of their plans.

And the only opportunity anyone could have had to do it, was during the thunderstorm, and it was a big storm, and there was no moon that night.
To this day, no-one else has claimed responsibility for it, (And the teams usually like to claim their credit, with each other, after the fact, in a spirit of competitive rivalry) and he is as much at a loss as to how it happened, as he was on the day. For a while, he said he nearly drove himself batshit, trying to figure it out, but by the time he told me the story, he'd just accepted it as one of those things he would never get to the bottom of.
Theoretically, it could have just been a coincidence, but the design was exactly the same as theirs had been. Dimensions too. I can't even begin to offer an explanation for it.
I know the guy in question reasonably well, and I'm pretty sure he was telling me the truth. One of the people who was with him that night was present when he told me the story, and he confirmed every word of it. 

So there it is. Every year, there are a few circles made, that no-one claims, or knows who was responsible for, not necessarily the more complex ones, but always occurring on moondark nights, mostly between the end of May, and mid August. There have also been a couple every year, in fields of winter wheat, at around the end of December that no-one knows anything about. These ones never get any publicity, because they aren't "In season" and whoever does them, is unknown to any of the regular teams. Similar patterns have also been seen in Ice, on Russian lakes that have frozen overnight, and also in fresh snowfall in Siberia. No footprints or anything, and the official explanation, is freak wind conditions. And that's the best explanation there is for them. But who knows for sure? It could be Hedgehogs I suppose.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Suu

Creepypasta is pastarific.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Triple Zero

If I made crop circles for a hobby, I'd probably whip up some myths and creepy stories for shits and giggles as well.

Three options.

A - It was aliens / paranormal things
B - Someone in this "Crop Circle Scene" stole the designs and pranked the guy who told you the story
C - The guy told you a creepy but [partially] made-up story

Occams razor tells me answer C is the most likely.

But that's my skepticism. Believe what you want, it's a good story though. And I like good stories.

You should probably modify it a littlebit to make it more believable though. :-P J/K

Especially the bit where the guy who told you this started out as doing crop circles for pranks, regularly. So he's a prankster. Which means he admits to creating crop circles along with stories that make them seem real. But not this particular one that he told you, of course not.
Because that one day, he was pulling his latest prank, and the prank (sort of) turned on him, and whatever he always was tricking people with, turned out to be REAL. And from then on, he knew there was Something More To It. Didn't the Scream movies continuously use, repeat and subvert this trope? :)

But that's okay. With uncomplete information, I can only guess.

Just a few questions that I wonder about.

First you say you only met the guy last year, and later on "I know the guy in question reasonably well, and I'm pretty sure he was telling me the truth". Since the most obvious explanation is that was in fact telling you a made-up story (and of course his friend, being in his crop-circle-prankster-club, wholeheartedly agreed with him, as he probably told this story many times, it was after all 5 years ago). I can see people I'd know "reasonably well" do that to me and keep an absolute straight face, and the better I knew them, the more I'd play along :)

And this crop circle scene? They always claim responsibility, so obviously the few cricles that aren't claimed must be done by aliens. That's not really the most logical conclusion, but eh.

and then your last paragraph. did you come up with that yourself or did they also tell you this? cause it makes no sense if you think about it really.

QuoteSo there it is. Every year, there are a few circles made, that no-one claims, or knows who was responsible for, not necessarily the more complex ones, but always occurring on moondark nights, mostly between the end of May, and mid August. There have also been a couple every year, in fields of winter wheat, at around the end of December that no-one knows anything about. These ones never get any publicity, because they aren't "In season" and whoever does them, is unknown to any of the regular teams. Similar patterns have also been seen in Ice, on Russian lakes that have frozen overnight, and also in fresh snowfall in Siberia. No footprints or anything, and the official explanation, is freak wind conditions. And that's the best explanation there is for them.

Where are these Russian "ice circles"? I never heard of those. And these patterns are somehow different from the usual crop circle patterns? Except for the unexplained crop circle patterns which do share qualities with the russian ice circles? But the unexplained crop circle pattern in your story was designed by hand? But just happened to share qualities with these russian ice circles?
Or is your last paragraph about different category of unexplained crop circle, there's the single one that was mysteriously "copied" during a thunderstorm five years ago, and there's the unexplained winter wheat circles that share qualities with the russian ice circles?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

BadBeast

OMG! You haz the mind control lazers on!  :tinfoilhat:
Ok, I may have elaborated just a little. So maybe I'll go away again, and elaborate a whole lot more, dig up some references for the Ice Circles, and try to work some of this seasons circles into the whole thing.
I feel another Mythconception coming on. I might try and work a Ladies Wiccan circle into it too.
Drawing down the Dark Moon or something lulzy and mysticulous like that. Chuck a Paragraph or two into MW, they have some quality pranky elements in there, that are frankly wasted on their discussion boards.

(What's the point of having mysticulous wicks like that, if no-one is going to light them, anyway?)  :lulz: And Dok broke the candlestick, so they haven't got anything to "carry the light"!

I read about the Russian Ice circles in the Fortean Times, years ago, so that should be reference worthy. I'll try and find it on their website.

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.