News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

The Discordian Norm vs. The PD.COM Norm

Started by AFK, June 04, 2010, 01:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on June 04, 2010, 08:25:08 PM
I know a lot has changed for those of us who've been around for awhile.  I know I was in a completely different space 4 and 5 years ago, back when there was this wonderful, non-stop riffing going on in what became the BIP movement.  For me, I had a lot less on my plate.  I had one kid and I was in a job I hated, so I needed to come here for the philosophizing and ranting with LMNO, LHX, Mang, TGRR, Cain, ECH, etc., etc.,

The world has become harder since then.  We're all older.  Many of us have different and new and more responsibilities.  But the problems are still there.  I really want to tap that energy again, that we had a few years ago.  And we clearly still have the minds and personalities to foster that kind of stuff.  And it's not that we need everyone to get in on the same thing.  That was one of the arguments we had back in those times.  Those who were BIPing and those who weren't.  But I think it does help to have that drive somewhere.  Just kind of helps balance things I think.  Or maybe not.  I dunno.  

It was nice.  It's over.  At least, I have seen no evidence of it continuing.
Molon Lube

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 04, 2010, 08:25:16 PM
It's monkeys all the way down.

Given that, I am questioning my life-long strategy, and wondering if my time wouldn't be better spent getting on with climbing over the backs of the monkeys ahead of me, instead of wanking to a fantasy of being in a different subgroup than the average "greyface".

Why not do both?

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on June 04, 2010, 08:26:02 PM
Just to point out, there are pinealists here. I am a pinealist as well as a prankster; so is Cramulus, in my opinion. Yatto is certainly one! I am sleeping with a pinealist who, frankly, seems to just be free-associating much of the time and often doesn't make any sense unless you are so tapped into his thought processes that you can join his free-association stream (in which case, it tunes in just like a radio and you can understand what he's saying perfectly). Spouting random gibberish is not an effective form of pinealism, especially online; it's usually poseurism. Communication is really key when all you have to go by is the written word; my pinealist friend/lover is a superbly lucid writer, taking his tapped-in pinealism and translating it into something beautiful and accessible.

It's all about actually making the effort to not be a dick, and to make yourself understandable. That's how online communication/collaboration works best.

I consider myself a Pinealist as well... but even well communicated pinealism is a rough road to play in the middle of here. ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

AFK

It's all about actually making the effort to not be a dick, and to make yourself understandable. That's how online communication/collaboration works best.

hirley0
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on June 04, 2010, 08:31:22 PM

hirley0

Wait.  We're hating on Hirley0, now?  For what?  Being a harmless old coot who never says anything to anyone?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Ratatosk on June 04, 2010, 08:29:25 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 04, 2010, 08:25:16 PM
It's monkeys all the way down.

Given that, I am questioning my life-long strategy, and wondering if my time wouldn't be better spent getting on with climbing over the backs of the monkeys ahead of me, instead of wanking to a fantasy of being in a different subgroup than the average "greyface".

Why not do both?

Because one offers a benefit, and the other doesn't.
Molon Lube

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 04, 2010, 08:36:06 PM

hirley0

Wait.  We're hating on Hirley0, now?  For what?  Being a harmless old coot who never says anything to anyone?

No.  That's the point. 

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on June 04, 2010, 08:37:03 PM

hirley0

No.  That's the point. 

Hirley makes no effort to collaborate, or - as far as I can tell - communicate.  Most of his posts are "note to self".  He's harmlessly using server space for whatever thoughts run on his personal wavelength, and discourages communication with others.  He's a hermit, not a shit head like PED.
Molon Lube

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 04, 2010, 08:41:43 PM

hirley0

No.  That's the point. 

Hirley makes no effort to collaborate, or - as far as I can tell - communicate.  Most of his posts are "note to self".  He's harmlessly using server space for whatever thoughts run on his personal wavelength, and discourages communication with others.  He's a hermit, not a shit head like PED.

PED has been mostly harmless outside of her initial entrance, until, as Nigel admits herself, PED was baited into hostilities. 

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on June 04, 2010, 08:42:55 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 04, 2010, 08:41:43 PM

hirley0

No.  That's the point. 

PED has been mostly harmless outside of her initial entrance, until, as Nigel admits herself, PED was baited into hostilities. 

Her whole thread was either gibberish or hostility.

When it was pointed out to her by many people here, recently, that all she had to do was be civil, she started moaning about how "she became a Discordian so she wouldn't have to fit in"...And by fitting in, she meant "be as nice to others as she'd like to be treated.

She calls us all fat and lame, but expects to be treated as a goddess because she posted some skanky pics?

Please.
Molon Lube

AFK

She doesn't have to be treated like a goddess.
She doesn't have to be treated like a horrible racist.

I guess I'm making an appeal for some kind of happy civil  medium?  

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on June 04, 2010, 08:50:22 PM

I guess I'm making an appeal for some kind of happy medium? 

I treat her the way she treated me.  That's all I'm really wired to do, in normal circumstances.

I like you, RWHN, and I think you're a smart guy, but I also think that you happen to be incorrect on this particular issue.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

I guess I'm making an appeal for some kind of happy civil  medium?  

We told her how to receive civil behavior.  She felt that being civil herself was too onerous, and distructive towards her individuality or some shit.  She actually said so.
Molon Lube

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 04, 2010, 08:51:57 PM

I guess I'm making an appeal for some kind of happy medium? 

I treat her the way she treated me.  That's all I'm really wired to do, in normal circumstances.

I like you, RWHN, and I think you're a smart guy, but I also think that you happen to be incorrect on this particular issue.

The way she treated you? Damn Dok, you need to think about that statement....
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson