News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

Sik Sik Wat

Started by Freeky, June 13, 2010, 05:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

I made this last night. It was delicious!

http://www.whats4eats.com/poultry/doro-wat-recipe
http://www.whats4eats.com/sauces/niter-kibbeh-recipe
http://www.whats4eats.com/sauces/berbere-recipe

I used these as a base recipe. I followed the directions for niter kibbeh and berbere almost exactly, except instead of fenugreek I used half fennel seed, half lemongrass, and instead of some of the whole ingredients, I used ground, and in the berbere I only used 2 peppers.  Also, I put a half cup of goji berry juice in while pureeing the onions. I had to do two batches, because my blender wasn't big enough for one, so I split everything up equally and doubled the amount of ginger put in. I used an extra TBSP of lemon juice to marinade the beef, for more extra flavor. I left out the step for extra cayenne in the wat, and instead put in a small palmfull of sun dried tomatoes at the end, just before bringing it to a boil and letting it simmer.

The niter kibbeh is kind of odd. There wasn't a lot of flavor to it, but maybe I just messed up somewhere. When I run out, I'll have to try again.

The berbere has an intensely peppery smell, so much that I could barely bring myself to taste it.  For me, two New Mexican peppers was PLENTY, though if you like really really hot, I would probably say that you should go with the full 3 or 4. I went with the red wine instead of water, and it probably mellowed the taste out a lot.

The sik sik wat was fucking delicious, though I should probably have left out the tomatoes. They overpowered everything else. It has a really smoky flavor, and the sauce itself has a soup-like consistency. Don't know if that's right or not. I failed to pay much attention to the meat cooking, and ended up with some tough extra huge bits of meat, but they were far from inedible.

All in all, I think i've found my favorite ethnic food to make, due to the complexicated ingredient lists and heavy use of fresh onions, ginger, and garlic.

Doktor Howl

Your vindaloo was amazing.

I'm STILL not shitting right.
Molon Lube

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 15, 2010, 06:40:54 PM

ITS A DOK!!! :D

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Do I win?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Professor Freeky on June 15, 2010, 06:44:01 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Do I win?

Richter and I have concurred that you do, in fact, win.  Dimo spent 30 minutes on the toilet, and couldn't sit right for the rest of the day.
Molon Lube

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 15, 2010, 07:03:12 PM
Quote from: Professor Freeky on June 15, 2010, 06:44:01 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Do I win?

Richter and I have concurred that you do, in fact, win.  Dimo spent 30 minutes on the toilet, and couldn't sit right for the rest of the day.

Victory.