News:

if the thee off of you are revel in the fact you ds a discordant suck it's dick and praise it's agenda? guess what bit-chit's not. hat I in fact . do you really think it'd theshare about shit, hen you should indeed tare-take if the frontage that you're into. do you really think it's the hardcore shite of the left thy t? you're little f/cking girls parackind abbot in tituts. FUCK YOU. you're latecomers, and you 're folks who don't f/cking get it. plez challenge me.

Main Menu

The Butt-Hurt Locker

Started by Remington, June 11, 2010, 07:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remington

As many of you may have heard, the makers of the recent film The Hurt Locker are gearing up to sue people who've downloaded the file on via p2p. They published a list of IP addresses that they claim were sharing/DLing the movie:

http://torrentfreak.com/ip-addresses-of-first-hurt-locker-victims-revealed-100609/
QuoteApproximately 700 IP-addresses of BitTorrent users who allegedly shared a copy of 'The Hurt locker' have been submitted to the Washington D.C. District Court. The public court records show that nearly all IPs in the group were tracked from the last week of April until the first week of May.

Little more than a week ago the makers of The Hurt Locker filed a complaint against the first 5,000 'unidentified' BitTorrent users. Helped by the U.S. Copyright Group (USCG), the film makers are requesting the personal details connected to the IP-addresses that allegedly shared the film on BitTorrent.

The first batch of IP-addresses (copy below) has now been submitted to the Court, linked to customers of over a dozen US Internet providers. Besides the IP-address and the time when the alleged infringement was recorded the document reveals very little evidence. It is unclear from the current details what file was tracked and whether the evidence gathering techniques will stand up to scrutiny.

The D.C District Court will now have to decide whether or not the ISPs of the alleged infringers will be ordered to hand over the personal information of the users associated with the IP-addresses. If this happens, the customers who are identified will receive a settlement offer of $2,500. Through this scheme, the USCG and Hurt Lockers' makers hope to collect millions of dollars in revenue, beating their box office earnings.

It's interesting to note that none of the IP-addresses in this first batch are linked to Time Warner customers. The ISP in question is the only one that is standing up against the money grab, as it went to court hoping to prevent a subpoena that will force them to expose hundreds of customers to the USCG. Time Warner claims that this process would prove too time consuming.

A problem that has been overlooked by most of the press and expert comments is the fact that there will be dozens of wrongfully accused people. Through similar cases in the UK we've learned that the evidence provided by the copyright holders is very flaky to say the least. We suspect that the USCG, which appears to be a two man operation, is simply out to collect as much money as possible through settlements and will avoid taking individual cases to court.

Important parts are bolded. Basically, these guys are going to send legal blackmail letters to you; if you don't pay then they sue you for unspecified large amounts of money.

An interesting solution has popped up though, from the least likely source:

For the socially functional among us, "LOIC" stands for "Low Orbit Ion Cannon". It's the Distributed Denial of Service client that /b/tards use to attack servers/IPs.

So, :popcorn:

Unless you downloaded the Hurt Locker. In that case, watch the mail and get in touch with your lawyer buddies.
Is it plugged in?

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

That's a pretty clever solution.

Yes, :popcorn:

Also, LOL, "Butt-Hurt Locker."
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cramulus

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: this is such a surreal century

things are moving so quickly now I don't think you could even explain this shit to somebody from 1980.

Requia ☣

You couldn't explain it to somebody from 1995 either.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Kai

Quote from: Requia ☣ on June 13, 2010, 08:03:44 PM

I bet if you told someone from 1995 that in 2001 two commercial airliners completely destroyed World Trade Center 1 and 2 under an attack directed by Al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden, and the US subsequently invaded Afganistan and Iraq to conduct an extended stay similar to Vietnam, they'd probably tell you it sounds like something straight out of a video game.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Bruno

Quote from: Kai on June 13, 2010, 09:01:52 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on June 13, 2010, 08:03:44 PM

I bet if you told someone from 1995 that in 2001 two commercial airliners completely destroyed World Trade Center 1 and 2 under an attack directed by Al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden, and the US subsequently invaded Afganistan and Iraq to conduct an extended stay similar to Vietnam, they'd probably tell you it sounds like something straight out of a video game.

Hey, I'm from 1995. Is that the sequel to Persian Gulf Inferno?

I sure hope they release it for Commodore 128.

Formerly something else...

Zyzyx

Any blow to the 'sue fucking everything' mindset we've got going is for great justice.