News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

Cold Brew Coffee

Started by Juana, June 15, 2010, 08:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Quote from: Suu on July 01, 2010, 02:59:21 PM
It's MUCH better for iced coffee.

Yeah, I tried it cold and decided it wasn't to taste.  And I don't do milk, so nuke it I did.

Suu

Quote from: Richter on July 01, 2010, 05:51:37 PM
Quote from: Suu on July 01, 2010, 02:59:21 PM
It's MUCH better for iced coffee.

Half of Providence has lost power.  The ground has opened up and swallowed 3 fabric stores.  

....No. 'Twas not me.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Captain Utopia

Yum!  Tried the french-press method, over ice.  I was dubious, but it turned out awesome.

Eater of Clowns

EOC TIP:  Make ice cubes out of coffee.  Put them in iced coffee.  Drink iced coffee for hours without it watering down, only getting stronger.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

So I gave this another go.

I put 10g of ground coffee in the french press with 260ml cold water.
Stuck it in the fridge for 10 mins then poured the result into the blender with 2tsp cocoa pwder 2tsp sugar, a handful of ice and 50ml of milk.
Blended the fuck out of it.

Adjust according to taste. No doubt some of you spags will double, or triple the sugar/milk. ;)

I drank some then decided to take a photo:

Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

Richter

Was 10 min. enough for s decent infusion?  How was the coffee flavor / caffeine content? 

Since I've got the pressmug, this is very interest to me.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

The coffee could have stood a bit longer, but I was surprised by it's strength after 10 minutes. I used and italian ground that wasn't the best I've tasted, but made this way it was quite good - gives me an excuse to use it up rather than chucking it.
I reckon the caffiene content was quite low compared to hot brew, but I bimbled through the afternoon quite nicely on it; quite a relaxing buzz imo.
Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

Jasper

I've been making batches in one of these:
http://www.bottlelinkpkg.com/product/30_0315111651_0.jpg.s.jpg  (the one on the left)

A whole pot of coffee's worth of grounds in that much water overnight is PERFECT.

FUCK I'm buzzed.  And it's great since it's silent, and I leave before everyone else wakes up.  Ninja coffee!

I plan to get some ph strips and see if it's true about the lowered acid content.

Considering monetizing this.  I'm in the wrong business anyway.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Sigmatic on July 02, 2010, 07:17:02 PM
http://www.bottlelinkpkg.com/product/30_0315111651_0.jpg.s.jpg  (the one on the left)

A whole pot of coffee's worth of grounds in that much water overnight is PERFECT.

FUCK I'm buzzed.  And it's great since it's silent, and I leave before everyone else wakes up.  Ninja coffee!

I plan to get some ph strips and see if it's true about the lowered acid content.

Considering monetizing this.  I'm in the wrong business anyway.

I'd guess it's significantly lower acidity, especially if you're used to drip coffee.  French presses give significant less acidity and this is essentially the same concept, right?  This company called Clover came out with an $11,000 machine that only makes one cup of coffee at a time, which Starbucks bought out a few years ago.  It was widely hailed as a smooth, less acidic, rich cup and really all it does is make french press quality coffee with the quickness of a drip maker.

As far as coffee trends though, maybe it's time for a new one like this.  Recently people have shown they're willing to grind their own beans, in some cases even roasting them at home, and shell out some dough for a really good drip maker.  French presses are more common, though I'd guess the majority of people still don't use them.  Maybe this is the next step?

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Sigmatic on July 02, 2010, 07:17:02 PM

Any particular reason to use these, instead of empty soda bottles? Or just because they look pretty?

I'm asking because they're basically Grolsch bottles, and I have those. But a soda bottle is bigger.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jasper

Because we have many of them around, and yes, because I find them charming.

Cainad (dec.)

Put mine in the fridge, and when it was good and cold I stirred a spoonful of sugar into a half-cup and filled the other half with milk. Pretty nice, IMO, and a good kick to it.

When I get back from this weekend, though, it will have been soaking for 5 days... :lulz: Maybe I'll polish off the jug that day and report the results.

Jenne

Quote from: Sigmatic on July 02, 2010, 09:13:52 PM
Because we have many of them around, and yes, because I find them charming.

I got some of those for decanting our oil (we buy in bulk), they work well.  I just wish the rubber gasket thing could go into the diswasher, b/c they're kind of ass to clean once oil's been in 'em.

Jasper

And they break down after a few weeks.  Especially, it seems, around relatively low levels of acids.

Eater of Clowns

Well I've officially tried both methods.  I don't think I let the first method, that is making a pot with cold water, sit long enough.  It was tasty, but lacked a certain punch.

The second method I brewed it when I got home at 11:30, a double pot for me and my girlfriend.  She took half when she left my place 5 or 6 hours later and left me the other half.  She said she thought it was pretty good; I loved it.  It's smooth and delicious once reconstituted.

My only issue with this method over brewing hot coffee and chilling it is that sugar just doesn't melt the same and dissipate in cold brew.  Otherwise, I like this a bit better.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.