News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

Cold Brew Coffee

Started by Juana, June 15, 2010, 08:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

This stuff is perfect for summer, tastes a little different than hot coffee, and is up to 70% less acidic. It's also absurdly easy to make, though lots of people feel the need to use some sort of special gadget to make it (though a regular french press, if you have it, makes it even easier).

Coarsely ground coffee
Cold water
Bowl/jar/French press
A fine sieve or paper filter if you haven't got a press

There are two ways to make it, depending on when you mean to drink it.

An immediate, single serving:
Put spoonful of coffee in a cup or bowl and add an equal amount of water to it that you would pour into your coffee cup in the morning (so half a mug of coffee becomes half a mug of water in your bowl/cup). Leave it to sit for about ten minutes, strain into your cup with either a fine sieve or a paper filter, and fix it to your liking.
If you have a French press, just use cold water instead of hot.

A concentrate (used for several mornings or for more than one person):
Put one cup coffee grounds to four cups water in a bowl or jar and stick it in the fridge overnight. In the morning, strain it into a pitcher and dilute it with cold water before you drink it (unless you like very strong coffee).
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Triple Zero

Yes. I did something similar and it is indeed delicious.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Wow. I never got it to work. It came out tasting shit. Needs further experimentation.
Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

Triple Zero

Hm, well my method was very easy. I got a 0.75L bottle, put about 7 tbsp ground coffee in it via a (dry!) funnel, and filled it up with water. Put the cap on it, shake, and put in the fridge.

I didn't do any filtering, just careful pouring. Getting a few black bits in your cup isn't gonna kill you after all.

Mixed with milk because I think 7 tbsp on 0.75L was quite a lot :)
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Suu

I'm giving this a shot tonight, actually. If this works, I should have a 16oz concentrate.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Richter

Tried this once.  Got an anxiety attack.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

Oh this is going to be great.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cainad (dec.)

Wow, surprised I missed this thread. Just today I began my ghetto-ass cold brew, which I guess is the equivalent of the concentrate described above.

A friend gave me a bunch of Folgers single-serving coffee packets (they're like teabags, except they're coffee). I put three of these into a quart-sized milk jug, filled with water, and now I get to wait and see what this does to me tomorrow and the next day...

Triple Zero

hey yeah I could of course wrap up the coffee in a filter with some elastic bands or something and that would prevent the bits from getting into the liquid?

Suu

Done!

It's tasty! Definitely waaaaay less acidic and fantastic for a good smooth iced coffee. I diluted my concentrate with an equal part of water and it's perfect.

Jasper

I made a bottle of almost concentrate last night and I'm drinking it now.  Odd tasting.  Like coffee, without the boldness or bitterness.  It was off-putting, so I heated it up and sugared it, and now it's perfect.

I like!

Suu

It's MUCH better for iced coffee.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Sigmatic on July 01, 2010, 02:38:01 PM
I made a bottle of almost concentrate last night and I'm drinking it now.  Odd tasting.  Like coffee, without the boldness or bitterness.  It was off-putting, so I heated it up and sugared it, and now it's perfect.

I like!

That was basically my impression of mine this morning; I gulped down about a one-third cup of the stuff cold, and decided to try sugar and milk next time. Good thing I have plenty. :D

Richter

Quote from: Suu on July 01, 2010, 02:59:21 PM

Half of Providence has lost power.  The ground has opened up and swallowed 3 fabric stores. 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Triple Zero

Quote from: Suu on July 01, 2010, 02:59:21 PM

Totally.

I am sometimes horrified how disgusting cold coffee (that was hot first) can become.

I wish I had a microwave.