News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

We Support The Oil Spill

Started by Cramulus, June 17, 2010, 07:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

The Oil Spill will inevitably end up inspiring at least one cool new Mythbusters episode. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

Heh, I'm gonna be that guy who actually has cause to be happy about the oil spill.

What's bad for Florida tourism is great for USVI tourism. The oil spill has literally boosted the VI's economy enough that I can move back this winter and not have to wait another year for the wage-scale to return to normal.

GO BP!!!

:awesome:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on June 18, 2010, 01:57:13 PM
Heh, I'm gonna be that guy who actually has cause to be happy about the oil spill.

What's bad for Florida tourism is great for USVI tourism. The oil spill has literally boosted the VI's economy enough that I can move back this winter and not have to wait another year for the wage-scale to return to normal.

GO BP!!!

:awesome:

They're already noticing a difference?

Also, one of these days I WILL go to St. Thomas and make you be my tour guide.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Yup. The gulf tourism is about 40% what it used to be?
I think I heard that right.
They're losing a lot of business, places are shutting down and people are losing their jobs.
People I know personally who usually go to places over there are staying away.

GO BP!

AFK

The thing to do, if it is even possible, is to get tourists to come down to help with clean up AND throw in some fun.  You get a 3 day vacation.  You spend one day on the beach picking up tar-balls, cleaning off pelicans, collecting boons, whatever, you get some kind of discount on a nearbye resort and then you have 2 days of reduce-priced fun.  PLUS, you get to brag to your friends and family how you helped save the Gulf of Mexico.  give them t-shirts, mugs, bumper stickers.  You play into American's desire to brag about being a part of something AND getting discounts.  Voila! 

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: RWHN on June 18, 2010, 04:49:57 PM
The thing to do, if it is even possible, is to get tourists to come down to help with clean up AND throw in some fun.  You get a 3 day vacation.  You spend one day on the beach picking up tar-balls, cleaning off pelicans, collecting boons, whatever, you get some kind of discount on a nearbye resort and then you have 2 days of reduce-priced fun.  PLUS, you get to brag to your friends and family how you helped save the Gulf of Mexico.  give them t-shirts, mugs, bumper stickers.  You play into American's desire to brag about being a part of something AND getting discounts.  Voila! 

Not only brag but brag about doing something important. "I saved the Atlantic and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"
I could see this being a workable idea.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

AFK

Someone get rid of Haley Barbour and Charlie Crist and I'll come and get r done!

AFK

And the thing is, you don't need to give them back-breaking labor.  Give them just enough to do and then you have that much more work to spread around which means that many more tourists.  It probably isn't enough to totally avoid losses in tourism, but it might at least keep people employed and some money (read: tax revenue) coming in.   

Jenne

Quote from: RWHN on June 18, 2010, 05:00:13 PM
And the thing is, you don't need to give them back-breaking labor.  Give them just enough to do and then you have that much more work to spread around which means that many more tourists.  It probably isn't enough to totally avoid losses in tourism, but it might at least keep people employed and some money (read: tax revenue) coming in.   

Isn't this what they did with post-Katrina NOLA and other natural disasters around that time?

Come to New Orleans and sample the jazz kitchens while building prefab houses in the Ninth Ward!

AFK

And one more thing, President Obama ran on a platform that included civic engagement and working in the community.  

Hello?  This calamity SCREAMS for that.  His office should be leading the charge on this.  You gotta know there are tons of people out there who would love to travel down and pitch in.  Get a few brains together and come up with a plan to tap into that.  The leak isn't going away soon, there has to be plenty of shit to do.  

AFK

Quote from: Jenne on June 18, 2010, 05:03:44 PM
And the thing is, you don't need to give them back-breaking labor.  Give them just enough to do and then you have that much more work to spread around which means that many more tourists.  It probably isn't enough to totally avoid losses in tourism, but it might at least keep people employed and some money (read: tax revenue) coming in.   

Isn't this what they did with post-Katrina NOLA and other natural disasters around that time?

Come to New Orleans and sample the jazz kitchens while building prefab houses in the Ninth Ward!

Seems like a no-brainer to me.  And it may be this is being done and I just haven't read about it.  Entirely possible.  I know if I were in a situation where I could just drop work and family responsibilities for a week or two I'd be down there helping. 

Jenne

Quote from: RWHN on June 18, 2010, 05:06:32 PM
Quote from: Jenne on June 18, 2010, 05:03:44 PM
And the thing is, you don't need to give them back-breaking labor.  Give them just enough to do and then you have that much more work to spread around which means that many more tourists.  It probably isn't enough to totally avoid losses in tourism, but it might at least keep people employed and some money (read: tax revenue) coming in.  

Seems like a no-brainer to me.  And it may be this is being done and I just haven't read about it.  Entirely possible.  I know if I were in a situation where I could just drop work and family responsibilities for a week or two I'd be down there helping.  

Once my kids are older, I know my husband will be in Medicins Sans Frontiers in a heartbeat...

Sir Squid Diddimus

The idea sounds genius!
Only problem is that stuff is really toxic, they don't want the public near it without proper protection, it's making people sick.

Oh, did you hear that they were telling the clean up crews not to wear their protective gear because they didn't want to frighten the public? They didn't want people to know just how dangerous this crap is so they told em, wear the suits and you're fired. Nice, huh?

GO BP!

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on June 18, 2010, 05:23:48 PM
The idea sounds genius!
Only problem is that stuff is really toxic, they don't want the public near it without proper protection, it's making people sick.

Oh, did you hear that they were telling the clean up crews not to wear their protective gear because they didn't want to frighten the public? They didn't want people to know just how dangerous this crap is so they told em, wear the suits and you're fired. Nice, huh?

GO BP!

Hmmm. Put your own workers at risk and keep the public ignorant. Nice.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

AFK

Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on June 18, 2010, 05:23:48 PM
The idea sounds genius!

GO BP!

Yeah, Olbermann was reporting on that a couple of days ago.  And you are right about the hazards of handling and collecting the oil.  But I think there would probably be enough support-type jobs that the average citizen could do, that would allow more time for the professionals to handle the particularly dirty and nasty jobs.