News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

Not Under My Roof! (A print & play game)

Started by Cramulus, June 17, 2010, 09:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden Applesauce

Just noticed this, and wow does it look interesting.  I'll have more for you after I playtest it, but the one thing that jumps out at me is that this should be adaptable to more than 2 players.  Last man standing is the obvious option, or maybe something like each player gets an exit, and scores 1 point for each housemate forced through their exit, and 1 point for each housemate they kick out?  Teams or factions might add an interesting twist for an expansion pack - you could have cards that call for help by moving a bunch of your teammate to your location, attacks that only work if your team has the most people in a room, throw something into the next room to interrupt an attack against a friend, or something.

Since a lot of cards "destroy" an object so it can't be used again, a pad of sticky notes to mark broken objects might come in handy.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Jasper

If the games are lasting long enough for that to be an issue, it might be easier just to use post its to denote that an item is destroyed.

Cramulus

great notes, GA.  :mrgreen: I really like the idea of each player having his own exit, that actually solves one of the problems I had with the recent playtest idea - while it breaks the game out of the line, it also makes the battle's direction kind of unipolar.

I should note that 3+ player games are possible with the new playtest though!

Cramulus

BUMP

we did some great playtesting at the Meatup

Here's the card text for the Smash & Dash Playtest: (that's the current version we're on... I think this is revision #6 since my initial idea)
htxp://www.principiadiscordia.com/cramulus/index.php?title=Smash_and_Dash_Playtest (link broken to discourage spambots)

Two great ideas that came out of the meat up:

-There should be a wild-card attack that works like a power attack but doesn't need a piece of furniture. Dimo called it "improvised weapon"
-Gameplay will no longer destroy objects in the house. We discovered that over time, feature destruction results in an increased difficulty to win. Namely because all the shelves and tables near the exit will be broken.
-Perhaps the card text should be reworded to be something that you shout at your opponent.

for example: right now, Attack (Chair) reads:

QuotePlay this card against an opponent in the room with you. You have two options:
----move your opponent into an adjacent room of your choice
----Stun your opponent until the end of this turn. (When stunned, you can be forced through an Exit.)

If there is a chair in the room with you, you may destroy it and perform a knock down attack instead.

-----Knock Down Attack: Your opponent is off balance and cannot voluntarily move. The next time he is allowed to move, he regains his balance instead of moving.

Instead, the card would read something like this...

ITALIC text is not read out loud.
Text in (Parenthesis) is optional and should only be read to clarify if needed.

QuotePlay this card against somebody in the same room as you.

Read one of the following:

-----LISTEN, ASS CLOWN. GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE. I'M GONNA PUSH YOU INTO <NAME OF ADJACENT ROOM>

-----ATTENTION DOUCHEWAD: I'M GOING TO SMACK YOU SO HARD YOUR HEAD WILL SPIN. YOUR ASS IS STUNNED UNTIL THE END OF MY TURN. (THAT MEANS I CAN KNOCK YOU OUT AN EXIT IF I DO IT BY THE END OF MY TURN)

If there is a chair in the room with you, you may instead read:

-----GUESS WHAT FAIL BEAST? I'M GOING TO CRACK YOU WITH THIS CHAIR AND KNOCK YOU DOWN. (THE NEXT TIME A CARD LETS YOU MOVE, YOU JUST STAND UP INSTEAD)

Cuddlefish

This game rules! I encourage everybody to try it at least once.

Cram, I wanted your permission to print special cards in the Meat-Up Intermittens.

The cards would be "Character" cards, each based on a player who got down over the weekend. They each would have a special ability that is not on any other card. Players would be limited to one Character card per deck. If a character card would be taken from a player by the "Steal" card, it is discarded instead.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Cramulus

Cuddlefish

Awesome. I'm going to do at least one each for Dimo, Cram, Richter, Cainad, Twid and Luna (maybe an additional card for players that have more than one handle, like Dr. Blight, Cuddlefish and Phinneas T. Phoxwottle, or whatever his name is).

It should work well for putting in some suggested ideas that may not work as a regular cards (Like Cainad's "Trip" idea).

Luna

Quote from: Cuddleshift on June 06, 2011, 08:34:48 PM
Awesome. I'm going to do at least one each for Dimo, Cram, Richter, Cainad, Twid and Luna (maybe an additional card for players that have more than one handle, like Dr. Blight, Cuddlefish and Phinneas T. Phoxwottle, or whatever his name is).

It should work well for putting in some suggested ideas that may not work as a regular cards (Like Cainad's "Trip" idea).

I always wanted to be a collectable playing card.   :lulz:
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cramulus

Hey, so now that some people have playtested it....

(1) How did you like the balance of attack, block, move, and utility cards?

(2) How was the 4-way game different than the 2-player version?

Luna

Quote from: Cramulus on June 06, 2011, 09:53:07 PM
Hey, so now that some people have playtested it....

(1) How did you like the balance of attack, block, move, and utility cards?

(2) How was the 4-way game different than the 2-player version?

The 4-way game went FAST...  I think Richter was out by the second or third round, because I stunned him and pitched him down the stairs to Dimo, who put him out.  If you get teamwork going, whoever gets double- or triple- teamed really has no defense.

I only played a few rounds, so no real opinion on card mix balance, since I only got a couple of draws.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cuddlefish

I got to play three 2-player games and a 4-way. I think they all went really well, but I feel like both ways went on a touch long. It can be tricky to get that right combo of attacks to seal the deal. (True, Luna and Rich's experince in 4-way was short, but they were the first two out. Me and Twid went on for quite a bit after that.) Plus, if you're staying true to the game, and acting it all out, it can get a little sweaty if the game drags out.

I think what slowed it down was a slight lack of punch. The "Focus" and "Steal" cards are great cards, and should stay, but something a bit more offensive/strategic should be added to the category.

The addition of an "improvised weapon" card and one semi-o.p. character card per deck may give it the boost it needs (oh, and "improvised weapon," if you use it, should be limited to one per deck, or I could use it as an ability for the character cards. Or both).

Cramulus

http://principiadiscordia.com/cramulus/index.php?title=Shout_It_Out_Playtest

working on some new copy for the cards --- please advise:

(work in progress)

Attack(Smash)
Shout at an opponent in the same room as you. You must communicate one of the following things:

• I push you into <adjacent room>.
  • I stun you until the end of my turn. (While you're stunned, you can be forced through an Exit by a melee attack.)
  •   <If there is a TV or Computer in the room> Power Attack! I force you into <location up to 2 rooms away>.
  •   <If there is a TV or Computer in the room> Power Stun! I Stun you until the end of my next turn. (While you're Stunned, you can be forced through an Exit by a melee attack.)

Cainad (dec.)

Here's a thought for adding gameplay depth without getting all weird or unbalanced with new cards, although I haven't put much thought into it:

Make the hand size 4 instead of 3. Or does that fuck it up?

Cramulus

you know, I've never actually playtested that. I have assumed that it will make games longer because it makes it more likely that you'll have a block in your hand when your opponent has the Finishing Move set up. But a larger hand size also makes it easier to set up the finishing move. Definitely worth a test.

Luna

Thought for a card...  PULL.  Move opponent from an adjacent room into the room you occupy.  "Get in here!"