News:

Sometimes I rattle the cage and beat my head uselessly against its bars, but sometimes, I can shake one loose and use it as a dildo.

Main Menu

Not Under My Roof! (A print & play game)

Started by Cramulus, June 17, 2010, 09:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Luna on June 07, 2011, 02:42:30 AM
Thought for a card...  PULL.  Move opponent from an adjacent room into the room you occupy.  "Get in here!"

See, this is what I mean. GREAT idea, but to make it a "4 of" in a deck is no good, but, as a "1 of," I think it could work. I like the idea of a standard deck with a predetermined number of specific cards, but I don't think the inclusion of a special "1 of" would break the game, supposing those "1 of" cards were written properly. Plus, it adds a certain (albeit, small) degree of customization; you get to choose which "1 of" to use, as well as a good-sized helping of flavor ("Play as any of your favorite NUMR heroes and villians!!!11!1"), and, like Luna said, people would like having their own trading card, which we can make for those who have documented their skills.

The four-card hand is worth testing, of course, but with an unlimited number of plays per turn, a four card hand might be too easy. Will try to test this week if I can find players.

As far as the "shout it out" text. It's cool, but maybe it can be included in the main rules, as opposed to the text of every card. I think it would simplify the individual cards and make for more intuitive play.

Really, though. VERY into this game, and if you guys want to try and set up a day to meet up and test a few of these ideas together, I'd be for it.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Cramulus

WHAT FONT DO YOU PREFER??

0. Univers Condensed
1. Genesis
2. I want my TTR!
3. Quick End Jerk
4. Futura LT Book
5. Edo

Cuddlefish

#1 looks nice and easy to read. #0 and #4 aren't bad, either. Maybe use #3 or #5 for card name.

LMNO

New card:

SHOTGUN (BANG!)
Shout at an opponent in the same room as you. You must recite one or more lines of this song.

* If opponent has a "Duck" card, they may use it.
* If not, game over.

Cuddlefish

Okay, some ideas I had for Character cards i'd like to put on the back of the Intermittens issue:

Character - Richter

Primal Yell - All other players are stunned until the end of your next turn. Remove this card from the game.

"Khooooooooorne!!!!"

Character - Luna

Rack 'em - Choose one: Move another player in an adjacent room into the room you occupy. or, move a player in the same room as you into an adjacent room. Remove this card from the game.

"Sit still. This won't hurt a bit."

Character - Dr. Blight

Research and Dismemberment - Choose an opponent in the same room as you. That player reveals his hand. Choose one of the revealed cards, and put it into your hand. Remove this card from the game.

"I'm not mad! I'm FURIOUS!"

Character - Cramulus

Don't Hate the Game, Hate the Player who Made the Game - The room you are in has an exit until the room is unoccupied. remove this card from the game.

"Did you program in a back door?" - Triplezero

Character - Cainad

Trip - Play this card when an opponent moves into or out of the room you occupy. Cancel that players movement, that player is knocked down. Remove this card frrom the game.

"Well, I guess it's not that broken..."

Character - Dimo

Hand-Forward-Deck-Back Technique - Search your discard pile for a card and put it on top of your draw pile. remove this card from the game.

"This pose is my last defense."

Thoughts?

Nephew Twiddleton

Those would make the game pretty interesting, I like them :)
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Luna

Quote from: Cuddleshift on June 09, 2011, 06:37:06 PM
Character - Luna

Rack 'em - Choose one: Move another player in an adjacent room into the room you occupy. or, move a player in the same room as you into an adjacent room. Remove this card from the game.

"Sit still. This won't hurt a bit."

:jebus:

I like 'em.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cramulus

Dimo, those are hilarious ideas for cards. Do you have photoshop? I could send you the card templates.

Okay, new card design / copy

hit me with some feedback.

Be picky.

note to self: square off bottom.
find icons to represent "play versus an opponent in the same room as you" and "play versus an opponent in an adjacent room."

Cainad (dec.)

Try to get a few extra pixels of space between the bullet points. Doesn't have to be a full line break, just nudge them apart slightly for ++READ.

Cuddlefish

Looking good!

Yes, I'd like the templates, I'm going to use photos from the Meat-Up for Character card art.

This is the plan, regarding Intermittens. The six Character cards are going to be on the back cover, as well as a card back, so people can print, cut, paste, however people want to make them. The Character card rules will be printed for reference (You may choose one Character card to add to your standard NUMR deck. You may only use one character card per deck, and only if your opponent(s) choose to use a Character card. If a Character card would be stolen by the Steal card, or any other ability that would take cards from an opponents hand, it is discarded instead.)

I think, on the back page of future intermittens, we can add special "expansions," in the form of more Character cards, or even the "Bystander" style cards we sort of talked about, designed to incorporate "NPC's" (non-players who happen to be in the room) like: "take a hostage" or "tag team attack." These "expansions" would only be a few cards each, and none of them would be manditory to have. They would just be little add-ons if your group wanted to make things more interesting.

ALSO: While I was making out those Character cards, I had an idea to incorporate a verbal component to playing cards. Give all the cards quotes, like I did above, which you must say when you play the card. (Attack-Chair "Here, let me prove to you that this chair exists!")

ALSO, ALSO: I'd like players to "earn" their own Character cards by documenting (pics, and a loose play-by-play) victories, or other crazy matches, during "sanctioned" NUMR "events" (see: spags getting together to play games). This can be tough, because it isn't always easy to get people together in meat-space. However, I thought of a way to maybe play over the forums, so those that can't meet up to play have a chance to "earn" their own character card (if anyone is interested, I can GM the first evar NUMR On-Line Championship, as long as Cram doesn't mind me jumping all over his project).

Luna

Quote from: Cramulus on June 10, 2011, 12:20:13 AM
find icons to represent "play versus an opponent in the same room as you" and "play versus an opponent in an adjacent room."

Opponent in same room:  Flexed arm w/clenched fist inside a box.
Opponent in adjacent room:  Arm reaching through doorway.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cramulus

is the text clear? could it be clearer? less wordy?

Luna

Quote from: Cramulus on June 10, 2011, 05:15:31 AM
is the text clear? could it be clearer? less wordy?

Less wordy, I'm thinking...  How many times did I hear, "How long does it take you to read FIVE CARDS?"

Cramulus

I'm trying to figure out how exactly I could tighten it. The balancing act is that the entire game should be completely self explanatory. You should understand how to play just by looking at the card.

I think "<if you can grab shelves>" is a big improvement on "If there are shelves in the room with you" in terms of simplicity, but it might be a tradeoff in clarity. Do you think it makes sense?

I am wondering if the game term Stun should be in a different font or something.

I am also wondering if I can fit a quote on the card. If I could, it would be stuff like,
     "I'VE HAD IT UP TO HERE WITH YOUR INSIPID BUTT JUGGLING"
     "HEY TURD MONGLER, I GOT YOU A BIRTHDAY PRESENT: TWO FISTS, AN ELBOW, AND A SMILE." 
     "GUESS WHAT? YOU'RE AN ASS TURBAN WHO COULDN'T SCISSOR KICK HIS WAY OUT OF A NERD BUCKET."
     "DING DONG! DOCTOR DROPKICK IS AT THE DOOR TO DELIVER YOUR PIPING HOT BEAT DOWN. I HOPE YOU HAVE A TIP."
     "I'M GOING TO BEAT THE VOWELS OUT OF YOU. THAT'S RIGHT, I'M GOING TO HIT YOU UNTIL YOUR LEGAL NAME IS AN UNPRONOUNCEABLE STRING OF CONSONANTS."

------but I'm also concerned that not everybody may "get" my style of over-the-top insults. And that I'll need to get rid of the dicks and jizz to make the product salable, but that takes a lot of the teeth out of those insults.

Luna

Quote from: Cramulus on June 10, 2011, 03:53:39 PM
I'm trying to figure out how exactly I could tighten it. The balancing act is that the entire game should be completely self explanatory. You should understand how to play just by looking at the card.

I think "<if you can grab shelves>" is a big improvement on "If there are shelves in the room with you" in terms of simplicity, but it might be a tradeoff in clarity. Do you think it makes sense?

I am wondering if the game term Stun should be in a different font or something.

I am also wondering if I can fit a quote on the card. If I could, it would be stuff like,
     "I'VE HAD IT UP TO HERE WITH YOUR INSIPID BUTT JUGGLING"
     "HEY TURD MONGLER, I GOT YOU A BIRTHDAY PRESENT: TWO FISTS, AN ELBOW, AND A SMILE." 
     "GUESS WHAT? YOU'RE AN ASS TURBAN WHO COULDN'T SCISSOR KICK HIS WAY OUT OF A NERD BUCKET."
     "DING DONG! DOCTOR DROPKICK IS AT THE DOOR TO DELIVER YOUR PIPING HOT BEAT DOWN. I HOPE YOU HAVE A TIP."
     "I'M GOING TO BEAT THE VOWELS OUT OF YOU. THAT'S RIGHT, I'M GOING TO HIT YOU UNTIL YOUR LEGAL NAME IS AN UNPRONOUNCEABLE STRING OF CONSONANTS."

------but I'm also concerned that not everybody may "get" my style of over-the-top insults. And that I'll need to get rid of the dicks and jizz to make the product salable, but that takes a lot of the teeth out of those insults.

Also, the insults are great... the first time around.

By the time you're on the dozenth time you're playing the same card, though...

Maybe add a rule (or a new card) that shouting an insult is worth "X" (maybe a stun?) but the insult can not be one which was used within the previous 24 hours of game play, and must contain at least three different adjectives... or be judged by impartial witnesses (if any) to be worthy...  I dunno, play with it.   :D