News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

Not Under My Roof! (A print & play game)

Started by Cramulus, June 17, 2010, 09:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

Insults available in the special "Butt Master's Premium Edition". The boxed set comes with a tube of burn ointment.

Then there's the "Regular Edition" without the insults.

I also like the idea of putting Stun into a different font.

Don Coyote

The card doesn't seem overly wordy to me.

Cuddlefish

The text being clear and exact is the most important thing, IMHO. If you need to use more words to make it clear, then do so, I say. Sure, maybe the first few times seeing the cards, you might have to take a few extra seconds to read them, but the cards are all similar enough, plus all the decks will be nearly identical, and once you've gone through it once or twice, you'll no longer even need to read them.

The first time you play ANY game, it goes slow, so you may as well do whatever is necessary to convey what the cards does. If you can do it in a few words, cool, but the meaning of the text must be as unambiguous as possible.

That said, I didn't have an issue with the version of the cards we had over the weekend. Everyone else that had to stop and read cards, had they played more than one game, would have been fine by game 2 or 3, I think.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Cuddlefish

Also, "Stunned" is the only status effect, and if it's clear what it means to be stunned, or to stun, in the instruction pamphlet, then maybe don't re-iterate that on the cards. That will free up some space in the text boxes, so you can space the text out more, and possibly have room for a quote.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cuddleshift on June 10, 2011, 06:22:42 PM
The text being clear and exact is the most important thing, IMHO. If you need to use more words to make it clear, then do so, I say. Sure, maybe the first few times seeing the cards, you might have to take a few extra seconds to read them, but the cards are all similar enough, plus all the decks will be nearly identical, and once you've gone through it once or twice, you'll no longer even need to read them.

The first time you play ANY game, it goes slow, so you may as well do whatever is necessary to convey what the cards does. If you can do it in a few words, cool, but the meaning of the text must be as unambiguous as possible.

That said, I didn't have an issue with the version of the cards we had over the weekend. Everyone else that had to stop and read cards, had they played more than one game, would have been fine by game 2 or 3, I think.

And what he said.

Golden Applesauce

It's not overly wordy, but it isn't immediately clear what the card does just by glancing at it.  "Choose one of the following" tells the reader that they have a ton of different options to choose from and that they need to read through all of them before they make an informed choice.  I'd try to find a way to streamline it by making it clear that the card does one thing - attack a player - but in one of two ways (pushing or stunning), with increased effects if you have access to a shelf.

Maybe something:

Attack a player in the same room as you.  Either

• Push them into an adjacent room, or
  • Stun them until the end of your turn.  (explain what stun does)
If you can grab Shelves, you may

• Push them up to two rooms away, or
  • Stun them until the end of your next turn instead.

I do like the way you have the cards designed to be read aloud to the person you're playing them against, though.  The only problem is that you have to find a way to distinguish the "you" who is reading the card with the "you" who is having the card being read to them.  In "I push you into an adjacent room," 'you' is the victim, but in "If you can grab shelves" the 'you' is the person playing the card.  Maybe "If I can grab shelves..." ?  It definitely makes writing the cards harder, in that you have to write for two perspectives at once, but totally worth it if you can pull it off.

If you're using a game board, and you have a specific icon in to indicate the presence of shelves or other feature in the room, put that icon in front of each feature name that appears in card text - that makes the card scan easier ("Hmm, I'm in a room with shelves, does anything in my hand benefit from that?") and makes it really obvious which board icon matches up with which feature ("That's Shelves?  Oh, I thought the icon meant <thing on the shelf.>")
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Cramulus

next pass: is this an improvement?

Not sure what to do about font. The second info card (below) has a few different fonts on it. Net advised that I should look at it in print before I make a decision.

oops, "like a" repeated too much

Telarus

This is looking good Cram. I'll try to throw some critique in when I have time away from Unreal3.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cramulus

Print test revealed that my font is a bit too small. So I managed to cut a bunch of words. I think it's as tight as it can get right now.. GA, you're right, grouping the options like that makes it a bit easier to understand.

check it

Triple Zero

You probably shouldn't want to use the < and > characters as quotation marks like that. They remind of computer language (HTML) and only really work in some fonts, where they happen to be vertically aligned with the text (usually monospaced fonts that you don't want to use on your cards).

Instead you might want to use the "guillemets" quotation marks ( « » ), they are always supposed to align with the text, because it's their specific purpose:

• Throw! Force opponent into «room adjacent to them»
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Don Coyote

Well fuck. I guess I just have to kiss $20 goodbye now. :argh!:

Telarus

My only critique would be to make the title a link to the sales site, and make the "Click here to purchase" link a graphic/button.
Telarus, KSC,