News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

GASLAND

Started by Jenne, June 22, 2010, 12:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Anyone else hear of this movie?  Guess it's going to be on HBO this week?  Includes the following highlights from an exploration of some of the adventures in "fracking" I believe it's called for "CLEAN" gas:  exploding water faucets--animals' and peoples' hair falling out--methane in the air (which is heavier than carbon monoxide and the equivalent in heaviness to releasing coal)--government coverups by Dick Cheney--all so cool!

Can't wait to watch... :x

Requia ☣

I hard about it on NPR, I've been trying to find a youtube clip of the tapwater scene to spread around.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

LMNO

I've been looking forward to seeing this, too.  I was at practice last night when it premiered, but it should be on demand pretty soon.

Jenne

Yeah, I was at one of those damned all-night meetings and forgot to record it dammit.  But once HBO premieres something, it's all over the fucking place, so I'll get around to it soonish.

LMNO

Mrs LMNO saw a bit of it: Said it was fascinating, but the narrator has all the charisma of a sea slug.

Jenne

I heard his interview on NPR, he's not that bad.  But on camera he might be a total dud.  I just set it to record tmro at 5 pm Pacific.

Remington

Quote from: Requia ☣ on June 22, 2010, 05:46:40 AM
I hard about it on NPR, I've been trying to find a youtube clip of the tapwater scene to spread around.
http://vimeo.com/4680635
Is it plugged in?

Unkl Dad

It made John Stewart's show last night.

Movie's site is here http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/

Scary, nice to learn about the Halliburton loophole that makes oil and gas companies not have to comply to the clean air and clean water acts.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Remington on June 23, 2010, 05:31:02 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on June 22, 2010, 05:46:40 AM
http://vimeo.com/4680635

Awesome.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jenne

Ugh.  This movie...you go through the 7 stages of grief (or however many there are, can't remember).  You go through denial, get angry, sad, depressed, defeated, and resigned that the "countryside" in the US, the vast amount of scenery and nature goodness--is all about to be demolished and turned into toxic wasteland by the likes of Halliburton.

THANK YOU DICK CHENEY YOU MISERABLE MAGGOTY CURMUDGEON!  Thanks for your Clean Air & Water loophole, giving so many the chance to have exploding water and toxic air, never to be able to disclose for fear of reprisal, and never able to sell because once your water is fucked, your land is YOURS FOREVER.

And in a benchmark era of government shut-downs due to low budget, we won't see oversight and regulation for quite some time to come.  I hope to hell that New York state doesn't fuck up and let them come and frack the fuck outta their water source.

If you watch this movie, well, god help you.  It's chilling and makes you want to Listerine your brain.  Well, that and try to set your taps on fire...

Kai

And people wonder why I get so depressed.

Kai,

lives with this shit, every day.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jenne

Yeah, I was thinking of you while I watched this, Kai.  The out and out destruction of our ecosystem was downplayed a small bit, but the director did put quite a bit in at one point.
SPOILER ALERT

He talked with a woman who'd frozen the birds and small animals (a rabbit) at the creek that was polluted by the fracking, where her dad had swam and drank from for years and then up and died two years later (after the fracking) of pancreatic cancer.  She froze the animals that started dying around the creek so they could be tested by whoever gave a shit later on.  She was apparently weirded out by her own audacity, but it's quiet activism like hers and others in this film that might get this reversed in certain areas (ALL areas, I don't think so, it's too insidious, and all over the gummament folks are calling natural gas the "clean energy" source).

Kai

These shows always appeal to anthropocentric values before biocentrism, land ethic, etc. It's the only way they work at all. People are moved by people first, and everything else second.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jenne

Yes, the larger picture is really hard to grasp, though.  I was sick to my stomach at the end of it, and just felt thoroughly defeated that it would ever be changed...I want to hope that people will give a fuck, but nothing I've seen lately shows this will come to any good--the people who give a fuck and are loud about it are in 180' the wrong direction...

bds

I'm downloading it now. Kinda scared to watch it, really.