News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

FUCKING ORANGE EATING CONTEST

Started by Cramulus, June 22, 2010, 02:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

I ate an orange today in quiet contemplation. It was an expensive "sumo citrus" brand orange that was almost unnaturally sweet and had almost no rind. Like a gigantic tangerine. I was reminded of the satsunas Junkenstein mentioned to me once. It may have been that type. It had loose easy to peel skin. It was a sweet moment taken to mark a bitter one.

I did it in quiet remembrance
Of how quickly the world shifts
And of the unspeakable gifts
That we are to each other
In this moment of love we have
And the moments only we are

Too soon to be only a quiet remembrance.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It is interesting, this orange-as-sacrament evolution.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

I just told a bunch of people about the orange eating contest, and Cram's, Vex's, and TWJ's experiences with it.

They don't seem to want to play. I can't imagine why.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 22, 2017, 01:30:41 AM
It is interesting, this orange-as-sacrament evolution.

The thought hit me when I saw the pile of oranges at apparently ridiculous markup and having seen the reminder of your loss on FB earlier something clicked. I bought one and set it aside at my friend's place to go meet with an old friend and otherwise carry on with my day. I figured after sundown would be best to sit quietly and eat. Eventually I felt compelled to the writing. I'd thought to try right away but nothing was there to write. I helped my friends bring in groceries and receive a package full of keepsakes from one of their grandmothers(they're married). At some point I realized that I felt the urge to write, and that was the result.

I could go on at length about symbolism, but that didn't even matter.
Sooner or later all we have is how we remember.

Quote from: Freeky on February 22, 2017, 01:34:22 AM
I just told a bunch of people about the orange eating contest, and Cram's, Vex's, and TWJ's experiences with it.

Call them weak little terrified namby-pamby babies TOO AFRAID to eat the ORANGES! See if that helps. Cramulus was much better at the provocative shit-talk part of the rites.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

They don't know what they're missing.

I mean, if they did they would be relieved, but the fact remains that they don't know.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 22, 2017, 02:16:55 AM

They don't know what they're missing.

I mean, if they did they would be relieved, but the fact remains that they don't know.

:lol: True.

Freeky

http://www.sciencealert.com/how-12-000-tonnes-of-dumped-orange-peel-produced-something-nobody-imagined

What better place to put an article about 12,000 tonnes of orange peel than the thread that has produced the most on this forum?

The Wizard Joseph

And lo Freeky did bump the thread
And the dread ORANGES set to rustle
My stomach to turning and arse did clench

... not again. Never again! Sweet Goddess no!!  :aaa:

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Freeky

The Wizard Joseph

Bump.

May or may not be eating an orange right now.
:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Q. G. Pennyworth

I haven't eaten oranges in FOREVER

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on February 27, 2020, 03:07:08 AM
I haven't eaten oranges in FOREVER

It may be The TIME!

I'M CONSIDERING doing it to honor

Chopper REDACTED

My very favorite animal ever. I'd call him human, but that would be a disservice.

For now Chopper is NOT DEAD just YET!!

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Here we go again.

Taking bets on the ER pool.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 27, 2020, 05:24:12 AM
Here we go again.

Taking bets on the ER pool.

You know I've thought about it very soberly. I think that I will in fact eat oranges when that dog passes, but slowly and somberly, peeling entirely of pulp, eating yoghurt between each, walking every 2hrs, and not at all trying to approach any record. Max 12 in a 12 hour period. 1 per hour.

The oranges are not in themselves dangerous, but not respecting them is straight up stupid. Like a car perhaps. Safe enough with proper caution, but deadly at high speeds and with reckless mentality.

Given the lessons learned upthread... I'm still not sure if I actually will, but I'm inclined to. I associate it with dealing with death and grief. I'm dealing with a LOT of both right now.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

QuoteThe oranges are not in themselves dangerous, but not respecting them is straight up stupid.

FUCK YOU MY FATHER DIED FROM NOT RESPECTING ORANGES