News:

PD.com: Ten minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Main Menu

The chickenfarmer's lament

Started by Reginald Ret, June 30, 2010, 10:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Well, my music is pure, 100% hobby.  I don't ever have any intention of making any money off it, ever.  So I give my expressed permission to spread it far and wide. 

But you can still buy my t-shirts!   :mrgreen:
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Elder Iptuous

RWHN,

as a side note.
i think you will get to see your hypothetical about pirating material forms within our lifetime.
rapid prototyping equipment is now being called desktop manufacturing, or 3d printing, since the materials are now fully usable...
the units are getting smaller and cheaper, too.
i don't know about cars, but simpler items, definitely.  probably electronics, too.

Pæs

Quote from: RWHN on July 02, 2010, 02:04:00 PM
What keeps you from paying for ALL of the music you want to own? 
I can't afford all the music I'd like to own.
I'd prefer to support the artists I like, if I could... but while I cannot, I download the music illegally.
When I can afford it, I buy it.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Triple Zero on July 02, 2010, 03:53:28 PM
Quote from: LMNO on July 02, 2010, 03:34:51 PMTo be less hyperbolic, what you're saying seems to imply to me that you would have no problem with scanning Roger's MSY comic book into jpeg, then emailing and posting it to every contact and messageboard you know of.

Okay. But it seems I do have a problem with that.

Similar to your and RWHNs music.

I guess that makes me a hypocrite, I concede..

Why is it hypocritical to take into special account how your actions may impact those people you have a personal relationship or connection with, isn't that just... human?  If I buy a friend a birthday present, am I a hypocrite for not buying a present for everyone in the city who shares the same birthday?

Right now there isn't a clear answer about how artists whose IP can be digitised are going to make their living on a network which enables the viral transmission of data.  But maybe it's right in front of us.

I strongly suspect those artists who maintain a strong emotional connection with their fans will be doing just fine.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: RWHN on July 02, 2010, 05:37:18 AM
Their capacity to make music, record albums, is tied to the number of units they move, records they sell.  And I have to say, as we demonize record labels here, it needs to be understood that not all record labels are the same.  Some are very supportive of their artists and will do a lot to help them succeed.  So it's easy to point to the big dogs and carry that across the industry but I'm not sure it is fair, nor accurate.

And another thing, the whole idea that artists get supported through concert tickets and merchandise sales.  So, do we really think that all of these "fans" who pirate or steal songs are attending concerts for all of these bands and artists?  Instead of paying the $15 for an album they are paying 50 to 60 per band to attend concerts?  Yeah, I'm not believing that.  And if we tell artists to not worry about album sales and focus on selling t-shirts and other merchandise then there will be even more emphasis put on using gimmicks and concocting an image than there has already been.  So you will be encouraging the bloat you see in scenes like hair metal, nu metal, grunge, etc.,  It will become less about the music and more about the products.  Every band will be following the KISS model of putting your name on everything.  

I won't pay that much to see a band because I can't afford it, but bands who play smaller indie venues like Mississippi Studios I frequently spend $15-$30 on. I don't think it cost me more than $30 the last two times I went to see Tori Amos play at big venues... great seats, too. Fiona Apple at the Roseland was less than that. Whenever I can, I buy the CD at the concert, because when you buy the CD at concerts the artist gets the profits... it's treated the same as merch. Same if you buy the CD off their website, usually.

I believe what I know from living with people in the professional music industry most of my adult life. Yes, there are good labels... and they will sell your contract to a bigger label if they get a chance. Not to screw you, but because that's what they do, and the general perception is that everybody wins. But that's not usually the case, from what I've seen. There's a reason established musicians are abandoning their labels, and I don't think it's pure greed.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

A lot of the bands and artists I've followed have stayed with the same labels.  One of my favorites, My Dying Bride, has been with Peaceville Records for the 20+ years of their existence.  Sentenced was with Century Media for all but their first two albums.  Their are tons of metal bands who've been on Century Media, Nuclear Blast, Earache Records, and they stay there.  They are all good labels that are artist friendly AND fan friendly.  So again, I really don't think it is that clear cut. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I agree that it's not all that clear cut.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Nephew Twiddleton

Don't mean to bump, and I think RWHN put out some very good points, but I don't know if his points were sufficiently addressed.

One of RWHN's arguments is that if you don't see album sales, the label will drop you. Fuck the label then right?

Here's why the evil record labels actually serve a purpose, over paid that they may be.

1. They make sure that you have a high quality recording. You can do this on your own, but chances are you're going to have to pay a local recording studio anyway. Prices may vary. They're trying to run a business too. The other option is to buy all that recording equipment for yourself. But if you're going to do it properly you better be willing to have been born into a rich family or start your own recording studio to rent out to other groups.

2. They get you radio play (ie exposure, plus royalties). Sure, I can send my recording to a couple of internet radio stations and a couple of broadcast stations. But I'm probably only going to be played once or rarely, sometime when most people aren't listening to the radio anyway.

3. They will promote your album. More exposure.

4. They will distribute your album. So, you know, you can buy it. So that the record label has the money to fund all of these benefits and make a profit.

5. They will book large, otherwise inaccessible venues for your national or international tour. They will also fund it. I could have a million paying downloads of a hit song on the internet, and still only be able to fund myself for a small to medium sized venue tour throughout the continental US and some of Canada. Probably not even all of that, because I still have bills to pay, calories to ingest and equipment to maintain. The rest of the world will just have to deal with the knowledge that they will never see me live.

6. They'll set you up for a couple of music videos. Everyone loves music videos.

7. They might score me a spot on a couple of movie soundtracks. Again, royalties=$

8. They will repeat this support for as long as my music is profitable to them.

Does the music industry need an overhaul? Yes. Is that going to prevent me from accepting a contract that at least included a lubricant clause, if it were given to me tomorrow? Hell no. Where do I sign?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS