News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

The chickenfarmer's lament

Started by Reginald Ret, June 30, 2010, 10:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

Once there was a chickenfarmer.
He was the only chickenfarmer in town.
He supplied the entire town with eggs for their breakfast and was loved and respected for this.
He also got rich as fuck.

Then one day a freak wind blew a newspaper into the town square.
It was from the town 75 miles east.
On the front page was a big picture of a chicken with a funny hat!
And the caption read: 'NEW FAD: HAVING A PET CHICKEN!'

So all the important people started to have their own chickens.
And soon everyone had a chicken of their own, from rich to poor and from all walks of life.
If they had a square feet of land, they had a chicken.
Some even had a chicken locked inside their mobile home.

Ofcourse, the chickens did what chickens do.
They made many, many chicken eggs.
The people soon learned that they no longer had to pay for breakfast eggs!
The people Rejoiced!

What do you expect the chickenfarmer did?
Did he accept that people no longer wanted to buy his eggs?
No he did not.
Instead he sent his thugs over to intimidate the people into still paying him for their breakfast eggs.

Luckily the chickenfarmer soon ran out of money and had to stop trying to sell eggs.
Instead he changed focus to only selling chicken meat.
What a smart man this farmer was!

PS  the eggs are music and the farmer is a musician.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Doktor Howl

Well, yeah, except that people pirating music aren't making music.  They're stealing it.
Molon Lube

Reginald Ret

Stealing requires the victim to lose something.
The chickenfarmer, like the musician, isn't losing anything but potential income.
Do you think the chickenfarmer has the right to keep the villagers from having their own chicken?

One does not have a right to potential income.
If i am selling my TV and it is really worth $200, but i don't know that and i sell it for $100.
Do i get to sue the buyer?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Remington

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 30, 2010, 10:22:08 PM
Well, yeah, except that people pirating music aren't making music.  They're stealing it.
Piracy != stealing. Stealing removes the original, piracy merely makes a copy.

Also, studies suggest that large-scale piracy of a musician's works is actually financially better for them. Piracy results in lower record sales and higher concert attendance, as more people have heard the musician and would pay to see him/her live. Recording companies get most of the profits from records/CDs, whereas musicians get a lot more of the profits from live concerts.

Hence, piracy helps the musicians and hurts the recording companies.
Is it plugged in?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Regret on June 30, 2010, 10:31:40 PM
Stealing requires the victim to lose something.

Yes, the profits from their work.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Remington on June 30, 2010, 10:32:45 PM
Well, yeah, except that people pirating music aren't making music.  They're stealing it.

Just sayin.

Wow.  My argument is totally destroyed by an innaccurate graphic.

Making the copy denies the artist - or the owner of the rights - the profits from their work or investment.  That's theft, plain and simple.

Molon Lube

Remington

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 30, 2010, 10:37:23 PM
Just sayin.

Making the copy denies the artist - or the owner of the rights - the profits from their work or investment.  That's theft, plain and simple.

Revised post.
Is it plugged in?

Doktor Howl

Basically, if I make an invention, patent it, and market it, you guys are okay with the idea of someone simply copying it?

I guess we - at least in America - can just eliminate a clause from article I, sec 8 of the constitution, and then we can all have fun emulating the shining success that is Bulgaria.
Molon Lube

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 30, 2010, 10:37:23 PM
img http://www.devtopics.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/piracyisnottheft.jpg
Just sayin.

That's a loss of potential income.
You do not have a right to potential income.
You only have a right to try to get as much income as you can, you don't actually have the right to get all you can.
QuoteIf i am selling my TV and it is really worth $200, but i don't know that and i sell it for $100.
Do i get to sue the buyer?
i think you missed that bit.

PS pic did not help, pic is oversimplification. It may be true for your(and my) world view, but you are not talking to yourself: you are talking to people who disagree with you on this issue. They have a different view on the subject and will not be swayed(sp?) by smart pics or pithy one-liners. it will require making actual arguments, and even then you may not succeed.

(posted while i was typing, adding response to this)
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 30, 2010, 10:40:43 PM
Basically, if I make an invention, patent it, and market it, you guys are okay with the idea of someone simply copying it?

I guess we - at least in America - can just eliminate a clause from article I, sec 8 of the constitution, and then we can all have fun emulating the shining success that is Bulgaria.
Things will change drastically if my views on this are applied widely.
To be honest, i have no clue how the inventor's/artist's motivations will be effected.
But i think my reasoning is solid, so it is worth a try.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Regret on June 30, 2010, 10:50:14 PM

That's a loss of potential income.
You do not have a right to potential income.

Okay, so it is your position that intellectual property does not exist?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Also, you have the right to chase potential profit:  Nobody guarantees that people will buy your product.

But to have people take it without paying for it?  Theft.
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

farmer = musician, eggs = music

Begs the question - Who's the cock?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on June 30, 2010, 10:58:38 PM

The initial analogy doesn't hold water anyway, unless all the "villagers" are making their own music.
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 30, 2010, 11:01:18 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on June 30, 2010, 10:58:38 PM

The initial analogy doesn't hold water anyway, unless all the "villagers" are making their own music.

Maybe if the villagers genuinely believe their chickens don't create unique eggs, only exact copies of the farmer's eggs?

Okay, sorry, no more playing stretch the metaphor game.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Regret on June 30, 2010, 10:50:14 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 30, 2010, 10:40:43 PM

Things will change drastically if my views on this are applied widely.
To be honest, i have no clue how the inventor's/artist's motivations will be effected.
But i think my reasoning is solid, so it is worth a try.

Yeah, they'll change drastically.  It's called Bulgaria.  See above.
Molon Lube