News:

FUCK YOU! MY UNCLE SAM DIED FROM NOT USING FACTS!

Main Menu

Actual Play: D&D 1e/Osric - The Dragon Melts Everyone, except the Dwarf

Started by Telarus, July 05, 2010, 06:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

So last night was my usual D&D game (Johnny Brainwash is GMing 1st Ed / Osric 'a retro-clone reboot' of the original rule set).

We only had 2 of the past players, so he came over to my house with KatieMonstrrr and He, Katie, Liv, and I did a 5-6th level one-shot with pregened characters.

My girlfriend (Liv) chose a Human lvl.6 Druid and Named her Avalon (minion: bound Wolverine).

KatieMonstrrr chose a Dwarf lvl5 Fighter with 18/00 STR, platemail , a +1 sword, and a cloak of Bat Wings and Named her Brunhilda (minions: 3 human spearmen 0 lvl).

I pulled an Elf l4/l5 Fighter/Thief with some +2 magic arrows and Named him Keld (minion: an elf longbowman).

We pretty much hand-waived basic gear purchasing and set off!

(you may recognize this one)

The village at the edge of the swamp makes regular sacrifices to the black dragon who lives in the swamp. They _will_ starve if they give the dragon his tax this winter. The dragon must die. The last party that tried this was 40 years ago and they were never seen again. You find yourselves at the last gap in the large hedge rows and stare across a murky, dank, fetid scrub-filled lowland. A dark rise, barely discernible in the mist and distance, obscures part of the horizon. GO!

We picked out way through the muck, having something of a 'trail' to follow. In between a few scouting and surprise rolls it was revealed that we needed to seek out 'the ferryman' in order to cross the swamp and get to the dragon's lair (GM exposition). Then my Thief Keld made his surprise check and spotted a bandit ambush, and made his silent walk check to get back to the group to tell them about  the spearmen lying down in the brush 15 yards off the path. After a brief map sketched out by the GM, we decided to have Brunhilda and her men continue down the path while Keld, the elf, Avalon and the Wolverine would cut right about 20 yards and pace Brunhilda up the path until we got close enough to ambush the bandits.

The bandits jumped up, but the elves and the druid won surprise. Arrows rained down on the bandits, and the Wolverine charges forward and hamstrings the first bandit. Shouts of "OH GODS, OH GODS, MY LEG!!!!!!!!" ring out as the druid casts her Entangle spell and the group of bandits go down in a patch of writhing vines and brush. The Wolverine can be heard growling, spiting, and chewing among screams of fear.

Suddenly, from 3 copses of trees further down the path, more robbers charge forward! On the left of the path a group of leather clad swordsmen lead by a chainmail clad Fighter. From directly ahead where the path cuts to the right, a frothing group of axe wielding berserkers, and from a group of trees behind the 1st bandits (now sobbing and screaming) a group of crossbowman, and a Mage!

How will the heroes get out of this one?

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

GIGGLES

THE MOTHERFUCKING DRAGON MELTS THEM MOTHERFUCKER!

IT SAYS SO IN THE MOTHERFUCKING TITLE!

FUCK!

EXCEPT THE DWARF.

Cramulus

I gotta applaud you for playing a 1st edition game.

This weekend I played a one-shot hybrid of 2nd and 3rd edition. it was fucking bizarre. We had feats, but also THAC0. I rolled 3d6 and assigned them to my ability scores IN ORDER with NO REROLLING. It was BIZARRE. And it did make me hunger for the old style games where there were no board and miniatures.

Telarus

Balls, I meant to update this thread, but my computer dying has meant I've left loose ends like this all over the web.....
Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Requia ☣

Quote from: Cramulus on July 26, 2010, 02:37:46 PM
I gotta applaud you for playing a 1st edition game.

This weekend I played a one-shot hybrid of 2nd and 3rd edition. it was fucking bizarre. We had feats, but also THAC0. I rolled 3d6 and assigned them to my ability scores IN ORDER with NO REROLLING. It was BIZARRE. And it did make me hunger for the old style games where there were no board and miniatures.

WHY WHY WHY would you keep THAC0?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Telarus

We were using OSCRIC the clone/re-write, but I'll doublecheck on that, I may have misremembered.

Next portion of the story:

Liv's Druid chases the Mage up a tree with a quick casting of Summon Swarm, the archer mook and I womp the berzerkers and the Dwarf and the other mooks take a few turns to womp the fighers.
Telarus, KSC,

Jasper

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,