News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Forum Reading Music

Started by Jasper, July 05, 2010, 07:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Was thinking about making a mix cd for reading PDcom.  Mostly stuff without vocals to listen to while you take in the landscape of horrormirth.

If anyone's interested, I'll mail you one when I'm done.  Or just email a download link, depending. 

Cramulus

interested!

plz to include Danny Elfman's overture fromPee Wee's big adventure

Jasper

I believe I have that, actually.  "Music For A Darkened Theatre" album?

Triple Zero

If you want some dark, post-apocalyptic industrial ambient sounds, try track Cryotank Expansion by Covenant from album Dreams of a Cryotank.

Or there's that something something red birds something track by this famous sort of gothic/ambient group, I hate it, but if you want gloom and doom, that may be good. But as I said I hate it, so if you don't know which I'm talking about, that's fine with me ;-)

Also, in the line of PeeWee, there is of course The Builders by Kim & Buran.

Ooh and Boards of Canada, Beware of the Friendly Stranger (short, but you may recognize it)

more, youtube and/or (legal) download links provided where I could find them:

Chris Korda - Victim of Leisure (album Six Billion Humans Can't Be Wrong) (maybe skip the first 2:30)

Dimensional Holofonic Sound - LSD 3D Dub Version (youtube track misses the intro)

Chromeo - You're so gangsta

OTT - ROFLcopter (seriously check this track, the guy is a discordian--or at least has the T-shirt--and the one line of vocals in this track is a pretty good rant)

Hallucinogen in Dub - Gamma Goblins ['it's turtles all the way down' mix] (crazy creepy)

Does it Offend You, Yeah? - Attack of the 60ft Lesbian Octopus

Eat Static - The Curious Dr. Hump (creepy crazy ambient)

Hallucinogen - Demention ("Unsane, beyond insanity ...")

Infected Mushroom - None of this is Real

Plastikman - Ask Yourself

and then i was out of time for looking up more.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Cain was awesomeenough to complile 5 playlists worth of music by and for the good people of PD.com a year or so ago.

If you ask nicely, he may even PM you the uplink.

Jasper

I remember that!  I downloaded one of them, but lost it in a hard drive crash. :x

Thanks for the suggestions, 000.  I've already made the initial playlist and tried it out as a CD, but tweaking is required and I might grandfather in some of what you've given me.

Turns out I might have to edit down the Pee Wee overture to keep it all onto one CD.

This is becoming something of an impressionist compilation, less focused on vocals and "bands", and more based around music that's (kind of) undistracting, so it could do well as music for reading by, or as a mix for long drives.

I've also got a good idea for the cover art, too.  :)

AFK

Steve Roach's music might fit the bill.  Well, maybe not for long drives though.  It tends to be rather drone-y. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jasper

What I'm going for is darkly quixotic, perhaps at times terrifying, but not gloomy or depressive.

LMNO

Bill Laswell's dub/ambient CDs.  There's a lot of them.

Jasper

Cool!

I get the feeling I could learn a lot from paying closer attention to the "what are you listening to" thread.

Cainad (dec.)

Pretty much all of the Myst franchise has really good ambient soundtracks. I like to throw them all together and hit shuffle.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just listen to Yakkity Sax on repeat.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pope Pixie Pickle

I am currently trying to listen to everything in my mp3 library. 31 days worth of music, on shuffle, and removing tracks once played.

I am still going to be here come Xmas on the same playlist.

Placid Dingo

Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on July 06, 2010, 09:16:55 PM
I just listen to Yakkity Sax on repeat.

P!nk
Lady Gaga
Nina Simone
Lemmy
Ian Anderson
Molon Lube