News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

Rinzai School thread debris

Started by minuspace, July 06, 2010, 09:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minuspace

maybe gradual refers to gentle, as is with most Japanese ways.
the distinction is in the distinction, not of token, but type.
like in the picture, both are there at the same time.
the realization of this is both immediate and gradual
like water flowing up a waterfall...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: minuspace on July 06, 2010, 09:05:15 PM
maybe gradual refers to gentle, as is with most Japanese ways.

Yeah, like the way they used to test samurai swords.  Or the Black Dragon Society.  Tojo was pretty gentle, too.  Also, the very concept of "esemono" is really tender.

Quote from: minuspace on July 06, 2010, 09:05:15 PM
the distinction is in the distinction, not of token, but type.
like in the picture, both are there at the same time.
the realization of this is both immediate and gradual
like water flowing up a waterfall...

WTF is this hippie shit?  :crankey:
Molon Lube

minuspace

Bu: you forgot about wonder... :eek:

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

Yeah, the japanese are as gentle as the US is benevolent....

Dok, what's esemono?  google fails me...

minuspace

not knowing Bu, you know nothing of japanese martial arts, so please, Howl elsewhere

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Iptuous on July 06, 2010, 09:17:59 PM
Yeah, the japanese are as gentle as the US is benevolent....

Dok, what's esemono?  google fails me...

Might have spelled it wrong.  It was the concept of "non-human" status that was conferred on anyone not of the noble or warrior caste.  For a good chunk of Japan's history, this class had no right to life...ie, anyone of higher caste could kill them with no penalty.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: minuspace on July 06, 2010, 09:20:42 PM
not knowing Bu, you know nothing of japanese martial arts, so please, Howl elsewhere

Fuck off, hippie scum.  I'll Goddamn Howl where I please.  Take your fake-ass ninja wannabe ass somewhere else.

TIA.
Molon Lube

minuspace

Doktor Howl

Quote from: minuspace on July 06, 2010, 09:25:23 PM
learning fails for some...

Yeah, sorry about that, oh Ascended Master.   :lulz:

Fucking hippie.
Molon Lube

minuspace

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Cram, sorry about this.  If you want the topic split, say the word.
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 06, 2010, 09:22:14 PM
Might have spelled it wrong.  It was the concept of "non-human" status that was conferred on anyone not of the noble or warrior caste.  For a good chunk of Japan's history, this class had no right to life...ie, anyone of higher caste could kill them with no penalty.

I'm fairly certain that a large portion of Japan's citizens currently think of non Japanese as, at least, a 'lesser' version of humans.
i base this off of what i have read, and the relationships that i have had with some Japanese guys in school.
they claimed it is just a healthy nationalism that they would expect everybody to have, but they seemed to honestly think that they were the correct ones, and everyone else is, at best, an honorable mention, and at worst, no better than animals.  (they were, of course, very courteous about it.)  it felt to me, though that it went far beyond nationalism, and that there was the perception that they were inherently and genetically distinct and superior.

I don't have any idea of whether there is still this concept that you mention within their society, but i would guess they would be perfectly content if it were applied to Japanese/non-Japanese.

and despite all that, i still love 'em...

minuspace