PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

Cat Gets Prosthetic Legs, Becomes World's Most Adorable Cyborg

Started by President Television, July 08, 2010, 07:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

President Television

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcy78rnDKiQ

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/innovation/07/08/cat.bionic.feet/index.html?hpt=C2

QuoteA British cat, Oscar, has made a full recovery after being fitted with a pair of prosthetic feet in November. The cat's hind paws were severed by a combine harvester.

The three-hour procedure, performed at an animal hospital in Surrey, England, by neuro-orthopaedic veterinary surgeon Dr. Noel Fitzpatrick, could serve as a model for human amputees.

Oscar's custom-made implants, ITAPs (Intraosseous transcutaneous amputation prosthetics), were modeled after deer antlers, which have a honeycomb structure that bones can grow through and skin can grow over.

QuoteFitting a cat with a prosthesis at the joint below the animal's ankle is a procedure that had never been performed, said Fitzpatrick, who waited seven months to announce news of Oscar's surgery because he wanted to see how the cat would recover.

D'aaaaaaaaaw :3
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Richter

Do you perform an operation like that bling, or do you do a PET scan first?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

President Television

My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Jasper

Freeky

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on July 09, 2010, 12:18:46 AM

They are give him metal paws later on - instead of just a big pencil erasor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmDqVN7vr8E&feature=related

That cat is so thinking "WTF is your problem lady?! GTFO mah FASE, cuz FUCK YUO, IMMA CAT."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

Look at its teeny little paws!

Maybe this means that one day there will only be a fine feline between man and machine.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jasper

DON'T BE A PUSSY, KAI.

I wonder if the eraser feet are getting catty remarks from the prosthetician society.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

Bah then.

I wish pet stores would include GPS locators in their "tagging" system.  One day maybe I could google my dog when it escapes.

Nast

"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Adios

Suu

It's really rather touching too. I got all teary eyed.

What's amazing is that unlike a human, the cat didn't seem to need any sort of PT to get adjusted, he realized he could walk and did it. Show's how much mental trauma can play in the healing process. This is probably something humans have over other animals, but it's still very encouraging.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."