News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Lunchbox.

Started by Kai, July 10, 2010, 05:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

I've decided that one of the primary reasons I'm not eating well is I keep missing lunch, and the primary reason I keep missing lunch is because I don't have a good package to take my lunch to work with me. The lunches I am able to bring seldom end up being well rounded in any sense.

So I bought a nice two layer obento box, which is the japanese equivalent of a lunch box. Today I packed three slices of pork loin (from last night), leftover oatmeal barley-rice, grapes, green peppers (slices) and some bits of nappa cabbage. It was tasty and filling, despite the bento looking much smaller than the average American lunch.

Looking for suggestions now on what else to put in it.

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Sir Squid Diddimus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I almost always have leftovers and fresh fruits/veggies in the fridge. One suggestion is to cook a large piece of meat and a grain dish once or twice a week, then fill your lunch box with that and some fresh veggies, just as you did. Supplement with nuts, pretzels, chips, cheese, and dried fruits.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on July 10, 2010, 08:19:08 PM
I love Bento!!

http://justbento.com/
http://lunchinabox.net/recipes/

Thanks. :)

Quote from: Nigel on July 10, 2010, 08:28:29 PM
I almost always have leftovers and fresh fruits/veggies in the fridge. One suggestion is to cook a large piece of meat and a grain dish once or twice a week, then fill your lunch box with that and some fresh veggies, just as you did. Supplement with nuts, pretzels, chips, cheese, and dried fruits.

That's about what I'm going for. I still have a bunch of pork loin left over.

I think if I had lunch like this when I was younger, I wouldn't have eaten school lunches. The regular sandwich and apple of the day is rather unappitizing unless done up complex (a good sandwich has multiple layers of veggies, sauces, cheese and meat).
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Triple Zero

Peanutbutter sandwich.

Because, well, that's usually what I have for lunch, nearly every day. I'm pretty sure it's quite healthy, if you pick a peanutbutter that's mostly peanut. The best (and also cheapest!) kind has 95% peanut :)

But that looks like a cool box. I usually put mine in a plastic baggie.

I dunno, I usually get hungry around lunch and then I'm always up for a PB sandwich. Although I love making complex sandwiches, I usually only do that for trips. When it's for work, I pick "good enough" over making a complex sandwich every morning. Plus, average Dutch bread would get soggy unless you toast it, or buy more expensive fancy bread.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Nast

You can put all kinds of foods in there. Salads of the fruit, meat, or vegetable variety are all good. So are sandwiches and snacky things.

When foods to put in a bento, it's probably good to consider food spoilage. While most foods are probably seasoned enough to keep okay, there are some foods like plain cooked rice that might be troublesome to keep at room temperature. Traditionally in a bento, rice is accompanied by a pickled plum or something else salty to keep it for a few hours. And of course the usual stuff like mayonnaise might be better to avoid if your food will be sitting around for a bit.

I have a tiffin that I bring to school when I have to eat lunch there. The multiple layers are convenient, and it has more locks on it than Fort Knox so I can put more liquidy things in it like curries without having to worry about it spilling. I'm still experimenting with packed lunches too, so I'll make sure to post pictures of things when I'm back in school.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Jasper

I prefer dried mango slices with my pack lunches.

Suu

I used to use a little Bento all the time and LOVED it! People think it's the cutest damn thing. It's a great way to work with portion control, especially since I only had one compartment on mine. o.O
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."