News:

Licenced Jenkem provider since 2007

Main Menu

ATTN: Music Spags (specifically, acoustic guitar)

Started by Cainad (dec.), July 12, 2010, 04:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

The little gear bit that goes on the turning peg thingy:

One on this guitar is missing. What is called, so I may acquire a new one? Or do I have to buy a whole new thingamabobber 'cause you can't get new whatsits for this kind of doohicky?

Please help. It's the only way to alleviate the 12-inch Horrorstache that's suddenly sprouted on my face.

AFK

Basically that part is just a gear.  I don't know if you can get just a gear.  I did some cursory searching and could only find complete tuning machines.  (basically that whole set of 3 tuners on that one side.)  I think I've had one of those pop off before (the gear) and it was pretty easy to get back in, so if you can track down just the gear and screw somewhere you could probably pop it on yourself. 

By the way, I have to mention one of the sites I was reviewing was called "Fret Not Guitar Repair".  :D
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Richter

Is this going to be the week of the failing guitars? 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Thurnez Isa

it's possible a guitar repair shop has a gear hanging around... if you go there talking about dohicky's and thingofmabobbers however the chances are your totally going to get hosed
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Kai

You could probably get a gear at a guitar shop that does repairs, yeah. Just ask the manager. They're pretty standard.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

AFK

Quote from: Richter on July 12, 2010, 05:20:26 PM
Is this going to be the week of the failing guitars? 

Well, at least with mine, since they are electric, I could probably "cover" Sonic Youth songs.  I've got plenty of screwdrivers and drumsticks hanging around. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Iron Sulfide

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on July 12, 2010, 05:20:44 PM
it's possible a guitar repair shop has a gear hanging around... if you go there talking about dohicky's and thingofmabobbers however the chances are your totally going to get hosed

"Guitar Tuning Keys"

Guitar supply shops frequently carry "Key sets"- the knob itself is called the Key. Key sets usually come with 6 Keys, 6 gears and 6 screws [LOL]. And I dunno it there's a different Euro term for them. I looks from the pic that you have a Nylon string guitar. If this is so, specify at the shop. The one you want (if you have to buy a full setup) is imaged repeatedly in the above link.  at the very least, you'll have two backup keys/gears/screws if you replace the whole bracket.

If you wanna try Thurnez' advice, just tell them you had a gear come unscrewed from your pegboard, and then ask for just the gear/screw.
Around here (California) a lot of shops are nice enough to answer questions if you bring in the item. prolly because then, even if you don't know what you're talking about, they can see what you're talking about.

I have no idea how shops are in europe, generally.
Ya' stupid Yank.