Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

Coffee.

Started by Triple Zero, July 15, 2010, 08:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

A wonderful article about coffee:

http://blog.moertel.com/pages/coders-guide-to-coffee

don't bother if you just go for maximum caffeine dosage, this one talks about taste and such
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

NotPublished

Holy crap I hate most taste of coffee but I absolutely love smelling it!

I was happy to notice that it said Home Roasting smells the best :D (Only cause it does smell fantastic)

... my job app to work at Starbucks said "I hate the taste of coffee but I love the smell", I never heard back from them though :(
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Jasper

This is a hobby I'd love to pursue again.  In my old california neighborhood there was a place called The Grind that kept green beans, roasted them, ground them before your eyes, and did by-the-cup drip.

They had the best coffee.  It was more than a brew, it was the Truth.

Michal

To this day, the best coffee I've ever had was at my first job; a bowling alley that is now sold and demolished.

Since then, the best coffee that I've had was at B&O Espresso on Capitol Hill. Good, rich, straightforward Americano. Damn good quiche too.

I make damn good coffee at home though. And everyone raves about my homemade iced vanilla coffees. And homemade cinnamon bread with delicious cinnamon-sugary goo.
Reverend-Saint Michal, KSC
Psychotik Lobster Cabal
Guardian of the Eternal Loogie
Sporadic Asshat, Minor Annoyance

Quote from: The Good Reverend RogerFreedom is something you seize.  And you give the people you're seizing it from a fucking rupture.

Rumckle

Quote from: Michal on July 16, 2010, 12:30:01 PM
And homemade cinnamon bread with delicious cinnamon-sugary goo.

:fap:

Recipe?
Please?
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

AFK

Great article, thanks for sharing.  I wish I had the time in the morning to do all of that, but I just don't.  Maybe when I'm retired ( :lulz: ) I can have the time to grind and do the pour-over thing. 

But, I do have to say, there are shops that do serve really good tasting coffee.  There are a couple of local outfits in downtown Portland (Maine) that make really good tasting coffee.  Also, I don't know if any of you other US spags have these, but I think Panera Bread makes some pretty good, and tasty, coffees.  As far as take home, Green Mountain Roasters makes some pretty good coffees, thought they are a bit pricey.  The Rain Forest Nut blend is especially yummy.  Don't really need to add much in terms of flavor or sweetness.  I use to make cappuccinos out of that stuff and it was really good. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Michal

Quote from: Rumckle on July 16, 2010, 01:12:56 PM
Quote from: Michal on July 16, 2010, 12:30:01 PM
And homemade cinnamon bread with delicious cinnamon-sugary goo.

:fap:

Recipe?
Please?

3-4 cups flour
3/4 cup warm water
1 packet yeast
A generous pinch of salt
A generous pinch of baking powder
2 Tbs. cinnamon
1 cup dark brown sugar

Sift the flour into a large bowl, let the yeast grow with the salt for about 10 mins. in warm water in separate bowl. Add Cinnamon, and baking powder to flour, mix though evenly. Once yeast has grown, add dark brown sugar to wet ingredients, mix, then add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Flour your hands, and your working surface. Knead wet and dry into dough. Once dough is kneaded thouroughly (feel free to add more water or flour as needed to get the right consistency), let sit in greased bowl to rise. Punch dough down again and work into desired shape/s and size/s. Place into greased pan in oven preheated to 450 degrees. Time it takes to be done depends on size and shape; best just to watch it and poke through center with toothpick until toothpick comes out clean.

Instructions for sugary goo: Take a double boiler and melt butter within. Add cinnamon, dark brown sugar, and heavy whipping cream. Stir gently, watch it like a hawk, make sure it doesn't burn, and that the consistency is "drizzleable". If desired, you can roll dough out flat and spread sugary goo evenly over top, roll dough up and you have cinnamon roll that can be sliced into individual portions with delicious goo inside.

Psychotik Lobster Cabal

Quote from: The Good Reverend RogerFreedom is something you seize.  And you give the people you're seizing it from a fucking rupture.

Rumckle

Awesome, I've been having cravings for cinnamon-y things lately.

Thanks
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Michal

De nada, likewise in fact, I've been drinking cinnamon whiskey at home and making myself cinnamon toast at work.
Psychotik Lobster Cabal

Requia ☣

Quote from: RWHN on July 16, 2010, 01:23:28 PM
Great article, thanks for sharing.  I wish I had the time in the morning to do all of that, but I just don't.  Maybe when I'm retired ( :lulz: ) I can have the time to grind and do the pour-over thing. 

I can't help you with the pour over thing, since I've not done it, but they make coffee makers with built in grinders, timers and all that, clean it and put the beans in the night before, fresh coffee is ready when you wake up.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Suu

FOLGERS BRAZILIAN BLEND, BREWED IN A PERCOLATOR FROM THE 1950S SO IT TOOK A FUCKING HOUR, AND COFFEEMATE FRENCH VANILLA POWDER ITT.

-Suu
Lactose intolerant. :(

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jasper

Pour over coffee is so damn good, and it's exceedingly minimalist.  All you need is a little cone filter holder that fits over your cup.  Even a plastic one will do.  Take it camping!

Bruno

After reading this, I decided to look on yellowpages and see if there was a coffee roaster here in town.

Turns out there is. I just got back with a bag of recently roasted "African Skies" coffee. It's sitting in my french press ATM, and will be ready in a few more minutes.

They also sell green beans. I need to find my old popcorn popper.
Formerly something else...

Triple Zero

Quote from: Sigmatic on July 16, 2010, 07:27:55 PM
Pour over coffee is so damn good, and it's exceedingly minimalist.  All you need is a little cone filter holder that fits over your cup.  Even a plastic one will do.  Take it camping!

Oh yes, absolutely.

Now I just need to get a grinder and fresh beans.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jasper

Anyone ever tried mortar and pestle?

Sigmatic,
no, I haven't