News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

Living The Dream: What Do You Own – Really?

Started by Adios, July 19, 2010, 03:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

that was for BadBeast, except he's not here. nevermind :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Johnny

If give law to bank, collect interests on justice  :?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Kai

Quote from: Jasper on September 27, 2011, 06:24:02 PM
Ah yes, this article.  Good time to reread it.  

The only things you really own are the things you stole.

Theft is property.

The only think you really own is what's in your head (until they make mind readers), and your mistakes.

The first because nobody can get at them (yet), and the second because nobody else will take them.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Rev

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on September 27, 2011, 07:35:43 PM
Quote from: The Rev on September 27, 2011, 04:08:08 PM
"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

Some rocker chick.

Did you really just quote the worst screechy hippie of all time in what appears to be all seriousness?

More to the point, did you really just do that on the same day you made some snarky comment about being able to come to your own conclusions rather than being trained to think what you think?

Note to the hipster kids: this is what irony ACTUALLY looks like. :lulz:

I have always been a fan of Janis.

The other comment was in no way intended to be snarky.

The Rev

A big part of the problem, I think, is when the stuff we think we own actually owns us. For instance, if you have to work three jobs to make a house payment, who owns who?

Placid Dingo

Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Jasper

Phox

I got nothing. Seriously, I've been pondering it for awhile, and at this point, I feel like I don't own a damn thing. Not even myself. My time, my thoughts, my body. All bought and sold at a whim no longer mine...

Quote from: The Rev on September 28, 2011, 04:54:13 PM
Quote from: Placid Dingo on September 28, 2011, 04:41:35 PM
The only thing i own is noobs.

You assume much.
Do you ever say anything interesting and/or funny? Srs question is srs.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Doktor Phox on September 29, 2011, 01:22:02 AM
I got nothing. Seriously, I've been pondering it for awhile, and at this point, I feel like I don't own a damn thing. Not even myself. My time, my thoughts, my body. All bought and sold at a whim no longer mine...

You assume much.

Me? No. Never.

PopeTom

I own my time and can sell it to an employer as to allow me to pay for other things i need and/or want.

I own my car, though with the cost of gas and insurance it's probably going to cost me more than taking care of the house.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Phox

Quote from: Placid Dingo on September 29, 2011, 02:32:22 AM

You assume much.

Me? No. Never.
Wasn't talking to YOU, PD. I know you are never interesting or funny, you upside down bastard.  :lol:

Quote from: PopeTom on September 29, 2011, 02:40:20 AM

I own my time and can sell it to an employer as to allow me to pay for other things i need and/or want.

I own my car, though with the cost of gas and insurance it's probably going to cost me more than taking care of the house.
Do you really? Hmm. I don't. My time, though willingly given, belongs to the university, the employer, the significant others, the people who ask me for help and countless others. Glad you can say you own your own time.

Placid Dingo

I guess in a lot of ways in the discussion we're having here it's worth rememberig that ownership is not physical or objective. I feel like I own more than many of you. I own my time; I rent t to the government for money and favors. I own my house (it's rented) so far as it represents my needs and I have possenrion of it by being in it. I own my thoughts; even if they're derivative of other things, a person with only sprout al thought is, you know, detached from reality, and I tend to know who I want to let in or not.

To own something, you decide to feel as though you own it.
Of course, this is not the case in the legal sense of the OP.

The Rev

You assume much.

There was no attempt to be funny. As far as anything interesting, I don't know. Which of my comments was the one that irritated you?

Worm Rider

I'm with Thoreau on this one:

"I am monarch of all I survey,
My right there is none to dispute"