News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

Kill the Culture and Burn the Pulpit Part 2: Cultural Change

Started by The Wizard, July 20, 2010, 07:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard

QuoteAnd I was told that the gestalt that formed around him was actually individualism.  If that's the case, than any activity from anyone, ever is "individualism", even in groups.

I concede.  The individual is powerless, because the term is a meaningless word for a grab-bag of different behaviors that have nothing to do with it, and therefore we just spin as little tiny cogs in a great big machine, until we break and are replaced.

Okay, then. Explain how a person is able to cause widespread change without some help and without an individual or group of individuals becoming leaders, even if in only a symbolic sense. Be my guest, cause I could do this shit own my own, I would.
Insanity we trust.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on July 20, 2010, 10:07:51 PM
QuoteAnd I was told that the gestalt that formed around him was actually individualism.  If that's the case, than any activity from anyone, ever is "individualism", even in groups.

I concede.  The individual is powerless, because the term is a meaningless word for a grab-bag of different behaviors that have nothing to do with it, and therefore we just spin as little tiny cogs in a great big machine, until we break and are replaced.

Okay, then. Explain how a person is able to cause widespread change without some help and without an individual or group of individuals becoming leaders, even if in only a symbolic sense. Be my guest, cause I could do this shit own my own, I would.

PRETTY SURE THAT WAS MY FUCKING ARGUMENT.

The leaders are acting as alphas, or individuals in this case.  The followers are acting as a group.  Nobody here seems to be able to accept that, because it's not "correct" to state that there are some times when acting as a group is a good thing.

Molon Lube

The Wizard

The leaders are acting as alphas, or individuals in this case.  The followers are acting as a group.  Nobody here seems to be able to accept that, because it's not "correct" to state that there are some times when acting as a group is a good thing.

Okay. Wait a second. Have we been arguing with each other for the same idea? Cause I swear to god, what you just said is what I've been arguing for.
Insanity we trust.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on July 20, 2010, 10:16:54 PM

Okay. Wait a second. Have we been arguing with each other for the same idea? Cause I swear to god, what you just said is what I've been arguing for.

TOO LATE.  THE "INDIVIDUAL" IS A WORTHLESS DRONE IN A VAST HIVE.

Since you can't be bothered to read my posts, and Charley is arguing just for the sake of arguing, I'm done posting constructively.
Molon Lube

The Wizard

Fine. Whatever floats your boat, Dok. If you want to, get pissed off over a misunderstanding. I just posted this to get some feedback and maybe stir up some conversation, not to start a war over minutiae.
Insanity we trust.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on July 20, 2010, 10:24:21 PM
Fine. Whatever floats your boat, Dok. If you want to, get pissed off over a misunderstanding. I just posted this to get some feedback and maybe stir up some conversation, not to start a war over minutiae.

I can't help it.  Groupthinkā„¢ controls my every move.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Adios

Dammit Dok.

A leader without followers is just a person walking alone. Followers without a leader wander in all directions aimlessly. Can you not see the co-dependency here?

Do you think the Government would have passed civil rights without all the followers scaring the hell out of their re-election chances?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on July 21, 2010, 12:29:18 AM
Dammit Dok.

A leader without followers is just a person walking alone. Followers without a leader wander in all directions aimlessly. Can you not see the co-dependency here?

Do you think the Government would have passed civil rights without all the followers scaring the hell out of their re-election chances?

So are you saying that individualism is impossible?
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 21, 2010, 12:30:08 AM
Dammit Dok.

Certainly not. I am saying it wears many guises.

Adios

And to add to this a GROUP of like minded individuals has more influence than a single individual.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on July 21, 2010, 12:30:56 AM
Dammit Dok.

So every human behavior is individualistic?

Because that's what the argument LOOKS like, given the example.
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 21, 2010, 12:35:36 AM
Dammit Dok.

Of course not, at times in our history many individuals have chosen to walk in the same direction, thereby forming a group. Every member of the group has individually opted to walk in that direction because of a visionary. I will not deny the Alpha syndrome, it is unavoidable as 95% of the people are followers.

I will maintain that a leader without followers can easily be dismissed.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on July 21, 2010, 12:38:52 AM
Dammit Dok.

Of course not, at times in our history many individuals have chosen to walk in the same direction, thereby forming a group. Every member of the group has individually opted to walk in that direction because of a visionary. I will not deny the Alpha syndrome, it is unavoidable as 95% of the people are followers.

But...You just made two contradictory arguments.

I give up.  I'm not getting in a pissing contest over this, but I'm not going to argue semantics for their own sake, either.  See you in another thread.
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 21, 2010, 12:40:54 AM
Quote from: Charley Brown on July 21, 2010, 12:38:52 AM
Dammit Dok.

But...You just made two contradictory arguments.

I give up.  I'm not getting in a pissing contest over this, but I'm not going to argue semantics for their own sake, either.  See you in another thread.

Fine. Also I don't see the contradiction.