News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

Basil Marceaux (R) for Governor of Tennessee!!!

Started by Bruno, July 24, 2010, 10:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

But BH, if you don't agree with him clearly you haven't thought things through.  Back to the drawing board.

Adios

Quote from: Sigmatic on July 27, 2010, 12:30:48 AM
But BH, if you don't agree with him clearly you haven't thought things through.  Back to the drawing board.

Fuck you.

Rumckle

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on July 26, 2010, 09:53:32 PM
I know I would much much rather have the option to pay the government tax to do things they think are wrong than have them ban them.  Looks like a win win to me.  I get to smoke my cigs, drink my booze, and the relatively high prices of both means that, percentage wise, the good stuff is not that much more expensive than the cheap stuff.  I'm also prone to moderation if getting high costs more (and yes, I smoke cigs to get high, when you only smoke one a day they give you a wicked headrush)  I wouldn't be all that upset if they started taxing soda and coffee as well.  Soda's not for getting high for me, coffee certainly is and soda is not a necessity.  And I see sin taxes as a model that leads to more legalization, because the government sees potential new revenue streams.  I know this is one of the factors in California's marijuana legalization campaign.  I think it is only a matter of time before some state realizes how much tax revenue they could make on legalized cocaine.

Compared to the US, our excise on cigarettes is much higher though (I think we pay about 100% tax on tobacco). But that's not what pisses me off about it. what pisses me off, is that they tax cigarettes so high, as a way to grab money, all the while telling us that cigarettes will kill you, but they do not allow other drugs to have the same system applied to them. It seems hypocritical in several ways.

Also, in Australia, where the sin tax on booze is higher than the the States (I believe), the good stuff is still fairly more expensive than the cheap stuff. Comparing Aust to Ontario (Both of which have sin taxes on alcohol, I don't know the prices for the US):
In Australia:
Gordon's Gin: $AUD 33
Bombay Sapphire: $AUD 60

Canada:
Gordon's: $AUD 29
Bombay: $AUD 33

(approx)

So it all depends on how you structure the tax.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Jasper

Quote from: Doktor Charley Brown on July 27, 2010, 12:31:43 AM

Fuck you.

sorry bout that, I was PO'ed because I thought you were intentionally ruining my joke in the Dazer thread. :oops:

Adios

Quote from: Sigmatic on July 27, 2010, 03:31:36 AM
Quote from: Doktor Charley Brown on July 27, 2010, 12:31:43 AM

Fuck you.

sorry bout that, I was PO'ed because I thought you were intentionally ruining my joke in the Dazer thread. :oops:

Not a chance

Jasper

We have such spectacular misunderstandings around here.  :)

Pals?

Adios