News:

PD.com: You wont believe our bullshit

Main Menu

American Civics and your future.

Started by Adios, July 22, 2010, 02:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pæs

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on July 22, 2010, 03:29:12 PM
you'd have to be willing to deal with the consequences of putting power into the hands of asshole teens.
Prepares them for having to deal with the consequences of putting power into the hands of asshole adults.

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on July 22, 2010, 03:32:31 PM
Finally, a situaton where a large class size would be beneficial!

I hadn't thought of that but you are exactly right!

Adios

We need a website and some educators involved. I am not nearly good enough to build a site.

Adios

I have sent a communication the the Kansas Board of Education to solicit their input.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on July 22, 2010, 03:21:29 PM
Going off of my own classmates, if you require they study the Constitution, they'll either let themselves fail or cheat. The people who will do well are the ones who already know it. The people who don't know it, and there will be many, will mostly fail or cheat rather than learn it. I know folks who don't know who the first president was. In this case Apathy and the lack of informed voters are the same problem.

Then fuck 'em.  Make the information available.  If they decide not to put it to use, that's their problem.

And make that plain during the class.
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 22, 2010, 05:01:15 PM
Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on July 22, 2010, 03:21:29 PM
Going off of my own classmates, if you require they study the Constitution, they'll either let themselves fail or cheat. The people who will do well are the ones who already know it. The people who don't know it, and there will be many, will mostly fail or cheat rather than learn it. I know folks who don't know who the first president was. In this case Apathy and the lack of informed voters are the same problem.

Then fuck 'em.  Make the information available.  If they decide not to put it to use, that's their problem.

And make that plain during the class.

Also we have discussed ways to make it interesting.

Jasper

I think that to get kids interested in these ideas, first you have to contextualize it with a story that grabs their attention.

I didn't really care terribly about civics until I learned about the personalities and stories that led up to the declaration.  For me, the movie 1776 made the whole thing a lot more interesting, but chances are a different movie should be made to appeal to kids these days, since I have bad taste.  The point is that if you introduce some "song and dance" so to speak, to grant the ideas some charisma then they'll be more interested in things like the preamble. 

Also, before you teach them the constitution, have them try to write one.  That would demonstrate to them how smart those guys were, and perhaps even leave them in awe.  I think that's a desirable perception to cultivate.

Dysfunctional Cunt

My oldest had a great history teacher this last year in world history.  He appealed to what the kids are interested in and threw in a lot of facts they didn't realize they learned till it was all over.  I was impressed. 

I agree that teachers have to present this subject in the line of thinking of what do these kids get into...

For my sons (being total beat their chest boys) if you get the blood and guts crap out there to snag them, you can teach them all the facts and such you want as you reel them in.  These are kids who watch some of the grossest stuff you can imagine and god I don't even want to get into they games they play.

Honestly, civics was my least favorite class and I did not take it in high school or college because it was just boring to me. 

Something has to be done in more areas that just this.  This next generation coming up is unfortunately a whole new kind of dumb and that is because that is what the schools are teaching them to be.

Students should be able to easily pass the citizenship test by high school.  Expand the test to include more as needed. Make it mandatory to enter high school.  That being said, I agree, the question is, how do we get their attention.

Adios

Quote from: Khara on July 22, 2010, 06:30:59 PM
My oldest had a great history teacher this last year in world history.  He appealed to what the kids are interested in and threw in a lot of facts they didn't realize they learned till it was all over.  I was impressed. 

I agree that teachers have to present this subject in the line of thinking of what do these kids get into...

For my sons (being total beat their chest boys) if you get the blood and guts crap out there to snag them, you can teach them all the facts and such you want as you reel them in.  These are kids who watch some of the grossest stuff you can imagine and god I don't even want to get into they games they play.

Honestly, civics was my least favorite class and I did not take it in high school or college because it was just boring to me. 

Something has to be done in more areas that just this.  This next generation coming up is unfortunately a whole new kind of dumb and that is because that is what the schools are teaching them to be.

Students should be able to easily pass the citizenship test by high school.  Expand the test to include more as needed. Make it mandatory to enter high school.  That being said, I agree, the question is, how do we get their attention.

A great teacher is a priceless thing to be sure.

Requia ☣

Also, before you teach them the constitution, have them try to write one.

This idea I love.

As for the class election thing, wouldn't that rely on the schools actually letting the kids elected have some kind of say?  We didn't have class governments but we had school ones, they were completely pointless, the only thing they had any power over was the 'school spirit' assembly.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Adios

Quote from: Requia ☣ on July 22, 2010, 07:33:10 PM

This idea I love.

As for the class election thing, wouldn't that rely on the schools actually letting the kids elected have some kind of say?  We didn't have class governments but we had school ones, they were completely pointless, the only thing they had any power over was the 'school spirit' assembly.

It would be an exercise.

LMNO

This idea I love.

School-wide elections wouldn't be an effective teaching method, since they're both annual, and are subject to a teacher's lessons.  It would have to be a single classroom election.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on July 22, 2010, 07:44:41 PM

This idea I love.

School-wide elections wouldn't be an effective teaching method, since they're both annual, and are subject to a teacher's lessons.  It would have to be a single classroom election.

Have them vote for who gets to be the semester science project.
Molon Lube

Jasper

As an added bonus, you could have the class debate about which constitution was best.  Then, the teacher could show them how their constitution matches up to the real deal.

Adios

Quote from: Sigmatic on July 22, 2010, 08:32:16 PM
As an added bonus, you could have the class debate about which constitution was best.  Then, the teacher could show them how their constitution matches up to the real deal.

Writing the lesson plan itself could be a real blast.