News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

The Chupacabra is really...

Started by Iason Ouabache, July 22, 2010, 07:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

.... inspired by a crappy 90's Sci-fi movie.

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/radford-theory/

QuoteLooking for a missing piece of his puzzle to "solve" the Chupacabras mystery, Ben Radford found what he was looking for.

"Just before Tolentino's sighting, a new element was added to the island's social and cultural mix – something that had not existed there before and could have spawned chupacabra sightings. The creature Tolentino described bears no resemblance to any known animal. It does, however, look almost exactly like a fictional creature seen by hundreds of thousands of people in 1995: Sil.

"Sil is the name of the alien creature played by Natasha Henstridge in the science-fiction horror film Species. Species was released in Puerto Rico on July 7, 1995 – less than a month before Tolentino reported her chupacabra sighting. The creatures looked very similar; could the original chupacabra eyewitness have simply described a monster she saw in a movie? It's certainly possible," says Radford, (p. 300).

One of the most damning pieces of evidence for Radford was found in investigator Scott Corrales' 1997 book, Chupacabras and Other Mysteries. In Corrales' text, it is noted that Tolentino made the connection between Sil and the Chupacabras herself. Tolentino told an interviewer that she had seen a "movie called Species....The movie begins here in Puerto Rico, at the Arecibo observatory."

Tolentino's comparison between the Chupacabras creature she had seen and the one in the movie is mentioned in Corrales' book, when she notes the movie monster "was a creature that looked like the chupacabra, with spines on its back and all....The resemblance to the chupacabra was really impressive....I watched the movie and wondered, 'My God! How can they make a movie like that, when these things are happening in Puerto Rico?"

An interviewer asked Tolentino in Puerto Rico, in 1996, Corrales noted: "In other words, does [Species] make you think there might have been an experiment in which a being escaped and is now at large?"

Tolentino answered: "Yes."

Radford then writes (p. 302): "Thus it seem [sic] that Tolentino believed that the creature and the events she saw in Species were actually happening in reality in Puerto Rico at the time."
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

LMNO

Crappy movie, but awesome tits.

LMNO
-priorities.  I has them.

Cain

Interesting, but the earliest confirmed attacks were in March 1995, and there are reported attacks going back until the 1970s, so even if this is accurate in explaining how the popular image of the Chupacabra came about, it still doesn't explain what the fuck was going on.

Doktor Howl

Also, why do people do this shit?

It's as bad as those bastards that deep-sonared Loch Ness.

WHY DON'T YOU JUST PEEL ALL THE VINYL BACK, YOU BASTARDS?
Molon Lube

BadBeast

Well, they never got anywhere near solving 'Springheel Jack', he's one urban legend that could do with a revival.
http://www.blackcatpress.co.uk/Spring_Heeled_Jack_Page.htm
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Jasper

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 22, 2010, 09:57:18 PM

Only when all the world's mystery and wonder are exposed will the boredom be immaculate.  Then, on that day, we can shrug, lie down, and die.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on July 22, 2010, 10:07:43 PM

Only when all the world's mystery and wonder are exposed will the boredom be immaculate.  Then, on that day, we can shrug, lie down, and die.

I want to make a trip to Washington State, to savagely beat the people that are looking for bigfoot.
Molon Lube

Jasper

...But then they'd have succeeded.  :(

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on July 22, 2010, 10:12:27 PM
...But then they'd have succeeded.  :(

Point.

And the prize would be a limb from a big fucking tree jammed up each of their nosy arses.
Molon Lube

Jasper

Iason Ouabache

FOR SCIENCE! Just imagine if someone actually did find a chupacabra or a Big Foot. Imagine all the fucked up shit we could do with one of those. From what I've read Ben Radford is as disappointed as anyone else that we haven't found any of these cryptozoological monsters.

Quote from: Cain on July 22, 2010, 09:32:47 PM
Interesting, but the earliest confirmed attacks were in March 1995, and there are reported attacks going back until the 1970s, so even if this is accurate in explaining how the popular image of the Chupacabra came about, it still doesn't explain what the fuck was going on.
Who reporting sighting one before Tolentino? I'm honestly asking because the interview I heard with Radford said that she was the very first.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

The Johnny

If the chupacabra actually looks like this, please dont blame me for searching for it:

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Jasper

I never understood that movie.  It's like, we sent the aliens a signal and they send one sociopathic xenomorph.  They can't possibly be more than ten light years away, what's the big deal.  Send more plz.

Cain

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on July 23, 2010, 02:10:40 AM
Quote from: Cain on July 22, 2010, 09:32:47 PM
Who reporting sighting one before Tolentino? I'm honestly asking because the interview I heard with Radford said that she was the very first.

No, she was the first one to sight a "cryptid" or whatever the term is, but there were documented reports of animals being found dead, with small incisions on them and sucked dry of all blood much earlier in 1995, and further reports of it happening back to the 1970s, at the very least.

The movie may have influenced the perception of what was behind the attacks, but the actual attacks themselves remain unresolved, which is sort of troubling giving the nature of them. 

Of course, if my suspicions are correct, that is indeed the entire point of them.  I mean, maybe it's just me, but doesn't this read even a little like the CIA's psyops against the Huk rebels in the Phillipines (the ones where they imitated Filipino vampires, killing lone rebels and draining them of blood), only with an entirely new legend created in the space of several months to account for the attacks?  Troubling attacks with paranormal overtones and attribution, causing fear and uncertainty in a target population?  Maybe it was a dry run to test how easy it is to create new beliefs in a target population and then use those beliefs against them, something which is admittedly far easier than trying to work around pre-existing beliefs, especially in more modernised parts of the world.

But that's just a theory I knocked out in the past half hour or so, it could be massively flawed.

BadBeast

Sounds good to me.  *Dons Cape and inserts Vampire teeth*
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4