News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

While you've all been jabbering about civics and internet mobocracy...

Started by Cain, July 23, 2010, 06:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

And meanwhile, humans are winnowing down the only possessions we really have of any meaning, our biological and intellectual heritage, the mass of information trapped within genes and monuments and writings, all being lost while petty arguments continue completely ignoring just how tiny and insignificant our world is, fragile and finite.

Done with the e-democracy thread, after seeing this. I have better things to do with my time.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Adios

Quote from: Kai on July 24, 2010, 07:23:37 PM
And meanwhile, humans are winnowing down the only possessions we really have of any meaning, our biological and intellectual heritage, the mass of information trapped within genes and monuments and writings, all being lost while petty arguments continue completely ignoring just how tiny and insignificant our world is, fragile and finite.

Done with the e-democracy thread, after seeing this. I have better things to do with my time.

Humans are immersed in theology, ideology and lines in the dirt. If those fail to explain a situation look for a profit motive.

The ones that aren't wrapped up in the above items are too worried about Lindsay Lohan tweets.

Torrential flooding across much of the nation has left 701 dead and hundreds missing, China's vice minister of water resources said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/07/20/china.floods/index.html#fbid=oznrGCbBL7l

Adios

Nearly 15 million people in 10 provinces and regions along China's longest river, the Yangtze, have had their lives disrupted after heavy rains began July 8, according to a statement from the Office of State Flood Control and Drought Relief, Xinhua reported.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/07/12/china.levees.break/index.html#fbid=oznrGCbBL7l

Adios

The head of Iran's nuclear energy agency announced Saturday that the country had launched a "serious" nuclear fusion research program, according to state-run Press TV.

http://m.cnn.com/primary/_rRIH2n-i0sibA9pqDF

Jasper

Adios

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Charley Brown on July 24, 2010, 07:48:45 PM

Humans are immersed in theology, ideology and lines in the dirt. If those fail to explain a situation look for a profit motive.

The ones that aren't wrapped up in the above items are too worried about Lindsay Lohan tweets.

The truly wonderful thing about self awareness and consciousness of the above is choosing not to be swept up in it.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Jasper

Quote from: Doktor Charley Brown on July 24, 2010, 08:00:46 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on July 24, 2010, 07:58:59 PM
Having a bit of trouble loading that last link.

Hmm. Opened right up for me.

Worked on a different comp.

Interesting.  I would be really pleased if they turn out to make a viable fusion reactor, but I doubt it's a move lacking in ulterior motive.  Still, if they do make a fusion generator...

Adios

Quote from: Sigmatic on July 24, 2010, 08:10:15 PM

Interesting.  I would be really pleased if they turn out to make a viable fusion reactor, but I doubt it's a move lacking in ulterior motive.  Still, if they do make a fusion generator...

Seriously? Why? Don't you think the region is too unsettled for that?

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Charley Brown on July 24, 2010, 08:17:30 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on July 24, 2010, 08:10:15 PM

Seriously? Why? Don't you think the region is too unsettled for that?

Because no human has been able to initiate a sustained and stable fusion reaction. It would be an enormous leap in nuclear physics.

Jasper

Yeah, that.   The instability is why I'm somewhat ambivalent.  If they do it, yay.  If, more likely, it produces nukes, fuckity shit.

Cain

Iran was ready to do an enriched uranium swap deal, but the US freaked out, because they want to keep the possibility of a war of Iran on the cards, as a final financial stimulus.

If I was surrounded on three sides by an enemy with the marked political instability that is the hallmark of US foreign policy, I'd want a nuke as well.

Adios

Quote from: Cain on July 24, 2010, 09:18:18 PM
Iran was ready to do an enriched uranium swap deal, but the US freaked out, because they want to keep the possibility of a war of Iran on the cards, as a final financial stimulus.

If I was surrounded on three sides by an enemy with the marked political instability that is the hallmark of US foreign policy, I'd want a nuke as well.

Oh, I can understand that, I just see the potential of another Pakistan situation.

Cain

Iran's a lot more centrally controlled, and a lot more rational in terms of its foreign policy.  In fact, since the Revolution, Iran has been an exemplar of raison d'etat, cutting deals with Israel, the USA, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and India when required.

Adios

Quote from: Cain on July 24, 2010, 10:52:36 PM
Iran's a lot more centrally controlled, and a lot more rational in terms of its foreign policy.  In fact, since the Revolution, Iran has been an exemplar of raison d'etat, cutting deals with Israel, the USA, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and India when required.

Point taken. What about outside forces?