News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

1 in 3 chance Northwest US can have major quake.

Started by Adios, July 24, 2010, 04:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's always steaming... usually you have to get right up on it to see, though. And you don't want to sit by the steam vents or you'll die of carbon monoxide poisoning!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

...I like the East Coast.

Sure, it's a bug infested swamp full of very angry people with threats of severe hurricanes and baby earthquakes, but damnit, I don't know if I can do the volcano thing. I still say the day I'm actually in the PNW to finally check it out, the fault will accidentally the whole Cascades.

But then again, if I gotta go...being burning alive in boiling hot magma from like 7 volcanoes at once is one of the coolest ways.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on July 24, 2010, 07:40:55 PM
I've come to the conclusion that it is impossible to predict earthquakes and anyone who says differently is trying to sell you something.

This.

There's subtle hints on major volcanic fault lines, but at New Madrid or in the Northeast, there's NO WAY to tell. And you never know if it's going to be a 3.0 or 8.0 either. There's just no way, because by the time you get enough information, the damage is already done.

You can get out of the way of a hurricane, and you can tell if a storm is going to spawn tornadoes, but anything seismic is 99% unpredictable.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

There's no smoke coming off Mt. Hood unless it's a campfire, but St. Helens is still quite active.

The one that would cause a real problem in the area if it blew is Mt. Rainier, which IIRC is considered "active".

This, of course, presumes that one would consider the sudden immolation of Tacoma, Lakewood, and Puyallup and every living thing in them a "problem". many Washingtonians would not.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

Yeah, but Rainier isn't small. I would assume damage to Seattle would be imminent as well. Then again, Mt. St. Helens blew practically around the corner from Portland, and nobody heard a thing.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Suu on July 25, 2010, 03:20:27 PM
Yeah, but Rainier isn't small. I would assume damage to Seattle would be imminent as well. Then again, Mt. St. Helens blew practically around the corner from Portland, and nobody heard a thing.

... other than the earthquakes, the massive explosion, the freeway closure, and the ashfall that darkened the region for a week or so. Oh, and how fucked up our crops were for years.

Mt. Hood will definitely erupt again eventually, but it probably won't have that much more of an effect on Portland than St. Helens did. Mt. Adams is kind of a wild card in terms of potential disruption of the Columbia River, though.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

I was under the impression that Portland was in the "Dead Zone" during the eruption. Or more or less, considering it's proximity got off really fucking lucky.

I mean, crap, we got ashfall on Long Island...

Jasper

http://www.pnsn.org/NEWS/PRESS_RELEASES/MSH_09_2004.html

First time I've seen pictures of the Mt. St Helens crater top.  It looks pretty disgusting, tbh.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Suu on July 25, 2010, 04:00:57 PM
I was under the impression that Portland was in the "Dead Zone" during the eruption. Or more or less, considering it's proximity got off really fucking lucky.

The sun was obscured by the ash cloud for a week or so, and we got some pretty significant ashfall. It could have been a lot worse. I think I understand your confusion about Portland being unaffected; we didn't HEAR the blast here, even though it was audible much farther away. We did get darkness and ash.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sigmatic on July 25, 2010, 04:17:54 PM
http://www.pnsn.org/NEWS/PRESS_RELEASES/MSH_09_2004.html

First time I've seen pictures of the Mt. St Helens crater top.  It looks pretty disgusting, tbh.

You should go up there sometime; it's really amazing. The fallen trees all lined up by the blast, for miles and miles and miles, are frightening and beautiful.

Suu

Quote from: Nigel on July 25, 2010, 07:04:50 PM
Quote from: Suu on July 25, 2010, 04:00:57 PM

The sun was obscured by the ash cloud for a week or so, and we got some pretty significant ashfall. It could have been a lot worse. I think I understand your confusion about Portland being unaffected; we didn't HEAR the blast here, even though it was audible much farther away. We did get darkness and ash.

Yeah that's what I meant, sorry for being unclear. It's pretty weird that you guys didn't hear anything and Seattle did.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Suu on July 25, 2010, 03:20:27 PM

Well, most projections show the mudflows being contained on the north by the Duwamish river, thus sparing Seattle proper from major damage, but those same projections show that 700,000+ people (and this was years ago, it's probably alot more now) would have less than an hour to evacuate.

The one I'd be worried about (especially if I had an apartment in PDX that was only 10 blocks away, which I do) is Mt. Tabor, which is the only active volcano inside the city limits of a major American city.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

BabylonHoruv

When Mount Saint Helens went off in 1980 I thought it was the end of the world.  I thought we had been nuked.  (My parents did too)
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

AFK

Quote from: Sigmatic on July 24, 2010, 05:43:33 PM
That is really interesting. 

I wonder if we would be able to tell if a fissure was opening up in a plate.  Would we know? 

Naw, I think it's more likely a martin or a mink. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle