News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

1 in 3 chance Northwest US can have major quake.

Started by Adios, July 24, 2010, 04:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on July 26, 2010, 05:51:19 AM
Quote from: Suu on July 25, 2010, 03:20:27 PM
Yeah, but Rainier isn't small. I would assume damage to Seattle would be imminent as well. Then again, Mt. St. Helens blew practically around the corner from Portland, and nobody heard a thing.

Well, most projections show the mudflows being contained on the north by the Duwamish river, thus sparing Seattle proper from major damage, but those same projections show that 700,000+ people (and this was years ago, it's probably alot more now) would have less than an hour to evacuate.

The one I'd be worried about (especially if I had an apartment in PDX that was only 10 blocks away, which I do) is Mt. Tabor, which is the only active volcano inside the city limits of a major American city.

I thought Tabor was extinct?  :? All of the sources I'm finding says it a Plio-Pleistocene cinder cone, like the cones we have over here in the Northeast.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, like Rocky Butte and Powell Butte, Tabor's on the Boring Lava Field, which is extinct, in the sense that the lava tubes that fed it are blocked and cold. However, some geologists think this whole region is sitting on either a steam or lava bed (there's some kind of research underway to try to figure out which) of unfathomable size.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

It would make sense. Magma feeding St. Helens et al is somewhere under there.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."