News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

The Empires wars cost more than...

Started by Adios, July 25, 2010, 03:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Adios

Jasper

I bet at 800 billion a year we could have had a death star by now.  We're hardly a proper evil empire, are we?  We just waste money.

Adios

For the 2010 fiscal year, the president's base budget of the Department of Defense rose to $533.8 billion. Adding spending on "overseas contingency operations" brings the sum to $663.8 billion.[1][2]

When the budget was signed into law on October 28, 2009, the final size of the Department of Defense's budget was $680 billion, $16 billion more than President Obama had requested.[3][4] An additional $33 billion supplemental bill to support the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan was expected to pass in the spring of 2010, but has been delayed by the House of Representatives after passing the Senate.[5][6] Defense-related expenditures outside of the Department of Defense constitute between $216 billion and $361 billion in additional spending, bringing the total for defense spending to between $880 billion and $1.03 trillion in fiscal year 2010.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_budget_of_the_United_States

Jasper

Where is all that fucking money coming from?  Taxes don't cover it!  I am so confused.

Cain

Adios

Jasper

Thanks for the clarification.  I think I'll be spending more time learning chinese now.

Adios

By the end of 2008, the U.S. had spent approximately $900 billion in direct costs on the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars. Indirect costs such as interest on the additional debt and incremental costs of caring for the more than 33,000 wounded borne by the Veterans Administration are additional. Some experts estimate these indirect costs will eventually exceed the direct costs.[9]

Adios

US owes China $1.7 Trillion.

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-us&brand=msnbc&search=owes

This video claims we have China under our thumb due to this. I can't exactly follow his logic.

Jasper

WE'VE GOT THEM RIGHT WHERE WE WANT THEM!! :lulz:

Cain

Also, you, your children, your grandchildren and your great grandchildren.

Basically, the costs of the current US wars are not included in the US budget, therefore their costs are being deferred until a later date.

As for how being in debt to China is in US interests....well, so long as China wants to collect on their money, they have a vested interest in the US economy and keeping the US happy.  Interdependence is the key word here.  If China goes to war with the USA, you can sure as hell bet the US will default on its debt payments.

Adios

Quote from: Cain on July 25, 2010, 05:28:14 PM
Also, you, your children, your grandchildren and your great grandchildren.

Basically, the costs of the current US wars are not included in the US budget, therefore their costs are being deferred until a later date.

As for how being in debt to China is in US interests....well, so long as China wants to collect on their money, they have a vested interest in the US economy and keeping the US happy.  Interdependence is the key word here.  If China goes to war with the USA, you can sure as hell bet the US will default on its debt payments.

It would seem it also puts us in a position where we can't place sanctions or anything else on them. Aren't we in a position where all we can do is scream and pitch a fit if they do something we don't like. I'm not saying this is a bad thing.

Cain

Yeah, that's pretty much it.  Unless you're willing to take the loss of 1.5 trillion, no-one can do the other serious harm.

Bruno

Wait, if we go to war with China, who will we borrow money from to finance that war?
Formerly something else...