News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

The Secret Histories, #1

Started by Doktor Howl, July 27, 2010, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Hawk, you make a good thread bouncer.  :)
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Adios

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Phineas T. Poxwattle on July 29, 2010, 04:01:41 PM
Quote from: Zyzyx on July 29, 2010, 03:49:24 PM
It's no flamewar. They're just asking you to put forth arguments that you can back up. Otherwise just lurk and read moar until you have something solid to contribute. No shame in admitting you've said dumb things, just do it and you'll feel better. We all derp things up once in a while. It's tough to be intellectually honest and even tougher to admit you're wrong.

uhhh I've been backing up my arguments? Just because you don't agree with my points doesn't mean that I'm not contributing something solid. What I'm examining is a point of view, which cannot be right or wrong, although it can have degrees of both. In the replies to my posts, I haven't yet heard anything which has tipped my opinion. So merely admitting that I'm wrong because a group disagrees with me... would be the sort of collectivism you guys are arguing against.

Quote from: Doktor Plague on July 29, 2010, 03:51:13 PM
This thread was good until Phineas showed up.

I had been chewing on Dok's OP since he posted it, and I wanted to share some of the things it made me question. I think this is the preferred thing to do, rather than ignoring it or posting mittens.

but if you guys think I fucked it up, mea culpa. Don't sweat it, I'm out then, sorry to fuck things up.

I want you to share these things.  Never mind the bollocks.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

It's no flamewar. They're just asking you to put forth arguments that you can back up. Otherwise just lurk and read moar until you have something solid to contribute. No shame in admitting you've said dumb things, just do it and you'll feel better. We all derp things up once in a while. It's tough to be intellectually honest and even tougher to admit you're wrong.

You are a fucking idiot.
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 29, 2010, 09:10:15 PM
Quote from: Phineas T. Poxwattle on July 29, 2010, 04:01:41 PM

uhhh I've been backing up my arguments? Just because you don't agree with my points doesn't mean that I'm not contributing something solid. What I'm examining is a point of view, which cannot be right or wrong, although it can have degrees of both. In the replies to my posts, I haven't yet heard anything which has tipped my opinion. So merely admitting that I'm wrong because a group disagrees with me... would be the sort of collectivism you guys are arguing against.

Quote from: Doktor Plague on July 29, 2010, 03:51:13 PM
This thread was good until Phineas showed up.

I had been chewing on Dok's OP since he posted it, and I wanted to share some of the things it made me question. I think this is the preferred thing to do, rather than ignoring it or posting mittens.

but if you guys think I fucked it up, mea culpa. Don't sweat it, I'm out then, sorry to fuck things up.

I want you to share these things.  Never mind the bollocks.

I have apologized for my part in this already.

Doktor Howl

Fuck this noise.  I'm done.

Someone else can write this shit, and then you can all dump all over Cram (especially that idiot Zyzyx telling Cram to "lurk more") without my involvement.  Doesn't fucking matter anyway, because I was dumb enough to post in Apple Talk, where it will be buried alive under "man bites shark" threads within hours.

Molon Lube

Zyzyx

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 29, 2010, 09:13:42 PM
Fuck this noise.  I'm done.

Someone else can write this shit, and then you can all dump all over Cram (especially that idiot Zyzyx telling Cram to "lurk more") without my involvement.  Doesn't fucking matter anyway, because I was dumb enough to post in Apple Talk, where it will be buried alive under "man bites shark" threads within hours.

EDIT: EDIT: Shit.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Sir Fronkensteen, The Hawk

Sir Squid Diddimus

BadBeast

Could a broken machine, such as the one you describe Dok, not recover itself if a dynamic of Meritocracy was applied as a kind of Trump Card? Something that would reach beyond the obsolete and detrimental influences of Plutarchy, Nepotism, and Factional Division? I have no idea how to implement such a dynamic, but it's not beyond the realms of possibilty that somebody does.

Meritocratic Government just seems like the most sensible and fuctional way to Govern, to me. I mean, if we must have Governments, (and concensus seems that we must) then surely it makes sense to have people doing it, who are capable of doing the job without resorting to a capricious and malleable monster, like Western Democracy to bullshit, bribe, and bully agendas into place, that are not necessarily in peoples best interests. 
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Captain Utopia

Isn't it the point that modifying our institutions is now a more difficult task than knocking it all down and implementing new ones?

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Doktor Plague on July 29, 2010, 03:30:05 PM
Quote from: Phineas T. Poxwattle on July 29, 2010, 03:18:14 PM
in my ear right now, millions of white blood cells are fighting millions of bacteria. A few days ago, the war against the ear infection was won, though smaller battles would continue until all the bacteria has been purged.

Perhaps one of these white blood cells was there at the tipping point, perhaps it performed some heroic act of self sacrifice which tipped the scales against the infection. Perhaps its particular tactics were instrumental in victory. But I do not thank that individual blood cell for its contributions to the war.

White blood cells aren't complex enough to be capable of any tactics at all, much less forming an individual identity. Consider that a single white blood cell is smaller than some neurons. Your comparison doesn't apply.

Biologists at Harvard strongly disagree with your expert opinion about the complexity of white blood cells:

http://multimedia.mcb.harvard.edu/anim_innerlife.html
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Adios

Quote from: BadBeast on July 30, 2010, 03:57:12 PM
Could a broken machine, such as the one you describe Dok, not recover itself if a dynamic of Meritocracy was applied as a kind of Trump Card? Something that would reach beyond the obsolete and detrimental influences of Plutarchy, Nepotism, and Factional Division? I have no idea how to implement such a dynamic, but it's not beyond the realms of possibilty that somebody does.

Meritocratic Government just seems like the most sensible and fuctional way to Govern, to me. I mean, if we must have Governments, (and concensus seems that we must) then surely it makes sense to have people doing it, who are capable of doing the job without resorting to a capricious and malleable monster, like Western Democracy to bullshit, bribe, and bully agendas into place, that are not necessarily in peoples best interests. 

I think the point is it's own unawareness is unalterable.

BadBeast

Well, the only way, it seems, to have even a chance of sorting all the fucking mess out, is to have one person, whose word is Sovereign and quells all dissent. One person that can rule every aspect of your life, with a will that is unopposed, incontrovertable, but also fully accepting of the consequences of any decisions.

Thing is, the only person I would trust to  have that kind of power over my life, is me.  So either the World must submit itself to my will, or, . . . . . . . . . . . . My will must rethink it's jurisdiction and adjust it's expectations of other jurisdictions accordingly.  Once a proportionate set of parameters regarding ones personal power is in place, then the old, flawed models can be ignored. Not torn down, or vilified, just ignored. You can't disempower such structures by pouring energy into them. They just get stronger. Machine broken? then leave it in the side of the road. You can't fix it. There's a reason it no longer works. Not one that I need to know particularly, but a reason, nonetheless. If there wasn't, it would still be working.

So I say leave the fucker out there in the snow to die. I never consented to being a cog in any fucked up clanking, mechanical doom machine anyway.     
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4