News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Be outraged. Or confused, anyway.

Started by Jasper, July 27, 2010, 09:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Huh. Non-autistic people have autistic kids all the time, so why would they assume the dude is autistic, or, if he is, that he knows he is?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

Dunno, I just felt very strange when I read about people sneaking supposedly unwanted genes into the sperm banks.  Like I want to laugh, but doing so might break something important.

Jenne

Well, it goes back to the whole "utopian genotype" thing that makes Xtians so afraid of testtube babies and gene therapy in the first place.  You know, the "God made it so it's not broke" whole theory about the cruelties of existence?  I say 'cruelty' lightly, here, because really, there are too many flaws in all of us to really quantify or qualify them concretely or fairly.  But the fact we all yearn for so-called perfection means there's a societal standard that will really never exist, but in our sci-fi wetdreams.

This guy turned that shit on its ear.  That makes me go "hm."

Jasper

I've said it jokingly before, but I'm wondering now.  Is our society at large just concerned with building a better asshole?

Jenne

Not sure...define "better" + "asshole"?

Jasper

Not really sure what that means myself, I was tired.

I just can't seem to think of appropriate commentary about a blog that encourages genetic vandalism. :lulz:

Sir Fronkensteen, The Hawk

Someone once told me that autistic people are superior.

Jenne

My husband likes the theory that psychotics that "hear voices" actually use more of their brains/have access to another plane of reality than those who don't.

Jasper

That's an attractive thought, but I wonder how that explains the devastating loss of cognitive functionality in schizophrenics.

Quote from: CheeseGraterHawk on July 28, 2010, 07:12:49 PM
Someone once told me that autistic people are superior.

Some seem to have heightened ability in certain areas, but diminished ability in others.  The strongly autistic however are, like schizophrenics, not profiting from their condition in any significant way.  That's textbook stuff I've learned supported by firsthand experience, so I'm not just talking out my bum here.

Sir Fronkensteen, The Hawk

I guess that someone who told me that was a retard. moron

Jasper

Jenne

:lol:  Yeah, I don't like to mean the good doctor believes it, but he still LIKES the notion.  Because it's more attractive than thinking they're broken, I guess.

Jasper

They're not broken, just ill.  And lots of autistic (and some schizophrenic) people make contributions to society.  It's not that they're a total loss across the board, they just tend to have a lot of difficulty.  Some more than others.

Jenne

Well, and some "breaks" are smaller than others.