News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

Rash of drownings as Russians attempt to escape heat

Started by Adios, July 28, 2010, 05:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

More than 1,000 Russians have drowned recently as they attempted to find relief from a stifling heat wave -- many of them after drinking alcohol, officials said.

Vadim Seryogin, a department head at Russia's Emergencies Ministry, told reporters Wednesday that 49 people, including two children, had drowned in the last day. More than 1,200 total have drowned, 223 of them between July 5 and July 12.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/07/15/russia.heat.drownings/index.html?iref=allsearch

Doktor Howl

Good thing climate change is only a liberal myth.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

AFK

Geesh, don't let the NeoCons hear about that.  They'll start throwing more pollution in the air to speed up global warming.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Adios

Adios

Asphalt softened in the heat has been blamed for traffic accidents. A state of emergency has been declared in 14 regions, and some areas are facing water shortages as wells dry up.

The heat has exacerbated a smog problem, as well, the RIA-Novosti column said, adding Russia has not experienced such heat in 130 years. Winter and spring crops are withering under the heat, the column said.

Jenne

...and here we have the WEIRDEST weather in San Diego--cold and chilly--foggy--all day.  Likely to STAY that way until, well, for the forseeable future.

I don't think we've broken the 80'F mark in over a week at the coast...possibly not even then.

Bodes ill for the fall, when we normally have our "summer" weather, but July is usually much hotter than this.

Jenne

I should add that this happens typically in So Cal (and up and down the coast, actually), so the hotter it is inland, the foggier it is here.

Kai

Bunch of liberal flunkies in this thread. Show me the evidence for "global warming", not a bunch of allegory. And the Russians don't count! Damn commies.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Aucoq

"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Adios

So who is going to be the first group to say the earth is tilting on it's axis?

Apikoros II

What shocked me was that Alcohol was involved. Unusual
I also believe that everything is false, even that statement and the one above it. Also, when you look into the abyss the abyss looks into you. Heck, the abyss sometimes winks and once it gave me the finger.

Adios

OFUK  :lulz:

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15183

I have no doubt these are the last days. So many things, inlcuding recently deciphered biblical info, that the world is in it's final 6 years or so, if that hide.gif

Pæs

Quote from: Doktor Charley Brown on July 28, 2010, 06:33:12 PM
So who is going to be the first group to say the earth is tilting on it's axis?
It's not so much the tilting you have to worry about. Apparently the earth is rotating on its axis... that is what is causing all the trouble!

Jenne

Quote from: Apikoros II on July 28, 2010, 06:33:19 PM
What shocked me was that Alcohol was involved. Unusual

you need a /sarcasm tag or something on that

Rumckle

Ah, guys, hate to burst your bubble, but Global Warming is man made.
You think it is a coincidence that nothing bad happened until until the LHC was turned on.

There creating mini-suns which are heating up the atmosphere before collapsing into black holes!
It's not trolling, it's just satire.