Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

Controlling firearms

Started by the last yatto, July 29, 2010, 07:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

as a general rule?
kinda seems wasteful...
i mean, even with the mouse gun, as a private citizen, you can get the more effective defense ammunition that would do more than the nato fmj stuff.
i guess i don't really know, but i've always kinda figured that if i was using a rifle for defense purposes, god forbid, the shots would each be deliberate.  like when hunting...  except with more cardio and involuntary defecation involved.

Adios

Quote from: Iptuous on August 11, 2010, 05:46:29 AM
as a general rule?
kinda seems wasteful...
i mean, even with the mouse gun, as a private citizen, you can get the more effective defense ammunition that would do more than the nato fmj stuff.
i guess i don't really know, but i've always kinda figured that if i was using a rifle for defense purposes, god forbid, the shots would each be deliberate.  like when hunting...  except with more cardio and involuntary defecation involved.

Trust me, in a firefight, you want a controlled 3 round burst.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 11, 2010, 05:48:49 AM
as a general rule?
kinda seems wasteful...

The new thing is controlled pairs with teh m16 on semi. 2 to the head and 2 the chest. But......I am not in a line unit, that's just what I was taught in WLC (PLDC for you oldtimers), and I'm not a rifleman. I'm a machinegunner/automatic-rifleman. I'm all about the 5-6 round burst and suppressive fire.

Elder Iptuous

i would think in such a tense situation the time dilation from your body squeezing out every last drop of gogogo out of your go gland, and you could get off pretty rapid bursts of fire in semiautomatic, no?

i guess it's all really contextual, anyways, too....
hopefully i'll never have to find out for sure.

Adios

Quote from: The Great Bovinity on August 11, 2010, 05:55:32 AM
Quote from: Charley Brown on August 11, 2010, 05:48:49 AM
as a general rule?
kinda seems wasteful...

The new thing is controlled pairs with teh m16 on semi. 2 to the head and 2 the chest. But......I am not in a line unit, that's just what I was taught in WLC (PLDC for you oldtimers), and I'm not a rifleman. I'm a machinegunner/automatic-rifleman. I'm all about the 5-6 round burst and suppressive fire.

In a firefight you want to aim at the center of the body and spit out 3 rounds, this is not a suppressive fire exercise, you want to wound or kill.

Adios

Quote from: Iptuous on August 11, 2010, 05:59:15 AM
i would think in such a tense situation the time dilation from your body squeezing out every last drop of gogogo out of your go gland, and you could get off pretty rapid bursts of fire in semiautomatic, no?

Small rounds fire is the least feared of all combat situations.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 11, 2010, 05:59:38 AM
Quote from: The Great Bovinity on August 11, 2010, 05:55:32 AM

In a firefight you want to aim at the center of the body and spit out 3 rounds, this is not a suppressive fire exercise, you want to wound or kill.

Just repeating what the great and wise SGLIs said at one day of simulated closequarter marksmanship said.

Center mass, easier to hit something vital.
3 roundburst, more holes is good. Although I've never seen what a 5.56 does to human flesh. Funny how the Army works.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Iptuous on August 11, 2010, 05:59:15 AM

Speaking from experience, if you aren't practiced at doing it, you won't hit much putting a lot of rounds out with a semiauto.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: The Great Bovinity on August 11, 2010, 06:05:33 AM
Although I've never seen what a 5.56 does to human flesh. Funny how the Army works.

from what i've seen it do to cervine flesh, i would say you cant issue a blanket statement on it.  it depends heavily, in my experience, on the round and rifle used.... but i guess more holes is better.
i guess i'm also thinking that if i've done something that requires that i make my way to the rifle for defense, then i'm worried about more than one or two people....
i'd be worried from the get go about running our of ammunition.
probably get myself killed being stingy with it...

Triple Zero

(snip, off-topic blabla)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 10, 2010, 10:50:38 PM
Here's the deal:  Guns are FUN.  Remember FUN?  

(...)

But it can't be that simple, right?  No, it has to be tied to my dick, somehow.

That's exactly what this guy thought, too:

FUN? check
Not that simple? check
Tied to his dick? CHECK

;-)

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 11, 2010, 05:38:10 AM
Quote from: Iptuous on August 11, 2010, 05:33:04 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 11, 2010, 01:02:32 AM
Yes, an AK47 has a safety.  And if you fire full auto, you aren't going to hit a damn thing.

well, to be fair, if you are firing automatically, you are presumably just laying down suppressive fire, and aren't really trying to do anything but come close, no?

I still say 3 round bursts are the best.

Semi-auto or GTFO.

Dok,
Aimed shots.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 11, 2010, 10:43:30 AM

(...)

FUN? check
Not that simple? check
Tied to his dick? CHECK

;-)

Yeah, let's see him try that with a rifle.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 11, 2010, 05:33:22 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on August 11, 2010, 10:43:30 AM

(...)

FUN? check
Not that simple? check
Tied to his dick? CHECK

;-)

Yeah, let's see him try that with a rifle.   :lulz:

A big bore rifle.